Magic Isn't Real

Dec 1, 2007
i was baby sitting these to kids on tuesday, they were in grade 3 and 4.
i showed them some magic, and the younger one simply said "magic isnt real, its just an illusion".
That made me sad
when i was that young, i loved magic and to me it was not an illusion, it was truely magic. The fact that someme under ten had been tought that magic was an illusion.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
i was baby sitting these to kids on tuesday, they were in grade 3 and 4.
i showed them some magic, and the younger one simply said "magic isnt real, its just an illusion".
That made me sad
when i was that young, i loved magic and to me it was not an illusion, it was truely magic. The fact that someme under ten had been tought that magic was an illusion.

Sorry, I for one am happy to see this.

I think magic is magic BECAUSE we know that it can't be done. My own son is eleven and when I do tricks for him he knows they are illusions, but still, the wonderment doesn't leave him.

Personally, I think that's the key: Teach them to know that this is an illusion, (the truth) but don't allow that knowledge to dimish the wonderment of the illusion.

The way I would've handled it: I would've said "You are absolutely right. There is no magic. It's an illusion. Yup. Very right....

....However, even though you know it's not magic, you still don't know HOW I did it. Since you know it wasn't magic......how did I make the illusion?"

Leave them with a sense of wonder and wanting more......

Hello there. I understand where you're coming from, but don't let that phase you. I mean, ultimatley, we should leave it up to the audience to come up with their own conclusions. I'll tell you from personal experience that it's usually more fun when they don't believe in magic. Cause if you think about it, the less someone believes, the more shocking it will be when they see somehting that's seemingly impossible. If someone already believes in magic, it won't be such a thrill. David Blaine wrote about this in his book. When he did magic in Haiti, alot of people weren't too impressed, because they already believed in magic and supposedly have witnessed it. Remember, the more unbelievable the effect is , the better the overall experience the spectator will have. And remember that the believability is not only determined by the effect in isolation, but also by the persons perception of magic. In other words, the less they belive in magic, the more unbelievable it will be percieved by them.
Just my humble opinion.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
yeah well with mass media and whatnot nowadays its no surprise.

i grew up in the 90s and i always knew its all an illusion or a trick, but i still loved magic shows. i think david copperfield was the first i ever saw and it was awesome.

Ok...I'm sure I am going to make some enemies with this post, but oh well. :)

Personally, I think that those that pretend they're doing "real" magic, just end up looking foolish. And believe me, it's not my opinion alone. Talk to some of your friends, spectators, etc. Ask them what they think if they see someone that thinks they can do "real" magic...you'd be surprised.

Honestly, think about it for a second. If you claim what you're doing is real, then that defies thousands of years of physics and basic common sense. Sure, there are a lot of things out there that truly do look like REAL magic...but everyone knows that there is always a trick to it. EVERYONE.

That's why I present what I do as entertainment...I don't pretend it's real...and if someone asks me if it is, I simply tell them it is entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. In my opinion, it makes me look far more professional and mature in the eyes of my audience, and makes them respect what I do, that much more.

Best.
Steve

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT

Personally, I think that those that pretend they're doing "real" magic, just end up looking foolish. And believe me, it's not my opinion alone. Talk to some of your friends, spectators, etc. Ask them what they think if they see someone that thinks they can do "real" magic...you'd be surprised.

Honestly, think about it for a second. If you claim what you're doing is real, then that defies thousands of years of physics and basic common sense. Sure, there are a lot of things out there that truly do look like REAL magic...but everyone knows that there is always a trick to it. EVERYONE.

That's why I present what I do as entertainment...I don't pretend it's real...and if someone asks me if it is, I simply tell them it is entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. In my opinion, it makes me look far more professional and mature in the eyes of my audience, and makes them respect what I do, that much more.

Best.
Steve

No ememy here.

I'm in full agreement with you.

Aug 31, 2007
Santa Claus isn't real, but we all want to believe that he is. True magic isn't real, but we still want to believe it is. There's always that little hope of believe everyone has, even though we know it isn't real. Your goal as a magician is to make people think you are doing the impossible, even though they know it isn't possible. :)

Just my two cents. ;)

John :cool:

Aug 31, 2007
California

Best.
Steve

Steve,

Do you literally say, what you are about to see is just entertainment, and nothing of the sorts is real?

Or do you just not even bring up the subject?

I'd love to hear what you do with this kind of subject.

Thanks,

Keenan

Keenan...

Sorry it took me a second to respond, just got home from work. :)

As for what I say...if they bring up the subject of DB or CA, and ask what they do, if magic is real, etc, I simply tell them... "What I do is pure entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less."

I don't beat around the bush...I know magic isn't real, and about 99.9% of your spectators know that magic isn't real. I think those that present their magic as real magic, just look foolish. Really...how is an average Joe going to go against thousands of years of physics, and what's impossible and possible.

I understand how people talk about "blurring the line between the impossible" and all that jazz, but really. Magic is not real, and at the end of the day, the average laymen knows that it's just some trick. It might be a really good trick, but still, there is some method to it.

Hope this clears it up! ;)
Steve

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
I definitely agree that magic isn't real. I personally haven't witnessed any legitimate spell-casting and I haven't met Harry Potter lately.

However, I DO believe there is a very STRONG difference between presenting yourself as real, and realistic.

I also believe that magic DOES transcend the line of "tricks." I believe that the "seemingly" impossible can be accomplished through skills and studying, not just by some simple secret method of trickery.

Sleight of hand is not trickery, it is Illusion. Illusion can be studied, it is a skill.

Trickery is a derogatory term that brings a negative aura wherever you use it and however you use it. Just my opinion.

|| sean ||

Oct 6, 2007
i tottally agree with steve

In addition to what steve said I work with mentally challenged children. I specfically aked them "is magic real?" some answered yes some no. I told them no. magic is not real, the things I do are meerly tricks, there is a secret to how I do it. I dont belive its right to complicate things more for them by having them think I have magical powers until they die. No that would be immoral, that would be like having your kid grow up beliving that the tooth fairy is real his whole life plus

Dec 1, 2007
k, first off i didnt title this thread "Magic Isnt Real"
some mod must have changed it :mad:
and secondly, i dont act like i'm like.... preforming miricles, its just when i was that age magic was just magic. Its kinda like santa. He's much more magical before you figure out its your parents.

Oct 31, 2007

Best.
Steve

If magic its real or not depends 100% on the performance...(and also in the material that you are performing)
You said people know that there is no magic...but is the same people that believe in ghosts, astrology, tarot, and esoteric stuff
when you said to someone if he or she likes magic, they cannot respond honestly with "yes or no" cause PEOPLE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT MAGIC IS, they can think if they like any magician that they saw previously and respond to that
(theres a great example on David Blaine: street magic special when he ask an old lady if he can show her a trick and she said that she dont like magic, and 5 minutes later she said that she do likes magic now)

Most people is ignorant, cause they simply doesnt know... but not stupid, they can realize that this things you are doing with the cards are no more than sleights of hands.

If the performer dont take the job of making his/her magic an experience, and after the performance people only whant to know how the tricks are done i think that we failed as magicians.

Dont get me wrong I dont like too fool people saying that i (or someone) have powers, what im trying to say is when you perform well and work on your presentations, people dont mind if magic its real or not, there is no place for puzzles, they are enjoying the chilhood state of astonishment that you leave on them that paul harris talk.

If your act is solemn (not necesary serious as derren brown says) you can leave people with the feeling of real magic.
I love watching him, he is so convencing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results