Legality in new effect

Nov 18, 2015
Hey guys,

Quick question...if I am creating a new torn and restorn effect using pieces of another other performers effect, can I still use it and produce it giving them credit in the video?

Thanks guys

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
How big a piece? I think it's okay to do that if the part you're using is only a small part of the whole routine. If a good amount (30% or more is my rule of thumb) is directly from another living person's work, you probably can't produce it.

Alternate performance methods for classic effects are usually okay to modify and publish as the creator is long dead.

Nov 18, 2015
The one piece is just one part of the effect maybe like 15% of the effect. It involves a gimmick from another persons routine just using it differently.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
A general rule of thumb? If you are borrowing ANYTHING from another routine, and the creator of that routine is still alive, ask them first. If you do this, you will avoid any of the potential problems you might otherwise face. 15%? Ask. Get permission. If you have permission, there is nothing to worry about.

// L

Great advice. Especially if it involves some kind of gaff or gimmick!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results