My first birthday party performance

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Next week i'm supposed to perform at a birthday party, the people there will be about 12 to 13 years old. I was thinking about doing some street tricks, maybe use loops. But my only problem is that I am seriously nervous, any tips on presenting myself to them?

Aug 31, 2007
Say, "As long as you suckers are here, I'm in charge.... YOU GOT THAT!"

No seriously, just have fun with it, act as you would in any performance.

I'm thirteen and the kids I perform to at school my age just annoying sometimes. I recommend not using gimmicks. I know that may be hard but with loops they will be swatting at them. unless your on a stage where they are restricted otherwise, some impromptu card tricks. I have shown almost all of my friend subway and tivo transpo and it always works out. But if they are controlled it would be easier.

Sep 1, 2007
Next week i'm supposed to perform at a birthday party, the people there will be about 12 to 13 years old. I was thinking about doing some street tricks, maybe use loops. But my only problem is that I am seriously nervous, any tips on presenting myself to them?

Yeah, always try to keep them involved by having them select/sign cards or count with you if you do counting effects. You could use loops from afar, I use them for floating rubberbands normally and if anyone swats I just drop the rubberband, saying that they broke up the magic, and if they want to see more they have to be better spectators. Also try to be yourself, don't try to be funny if you are just being corny and over all have lots of fun!

I'd highly suggest party tricks, like quarter through soda can, etc.

It really get's people going if your tricks are chosen to the theme of the party. If it's a halloween party, you'd do ghost vision, levitations, etc.

Like AceOfSpades said, try not to use gimmicks. Tweens almost always want to inspect the items. The second you finish, they'll be grabbing at the gimmick. However, Distortion leaves you clean--so that's okay.

Attention grabbers are always good. Using fire in your performance (if you are trained) is something everybody likes. Using colorful spongeballs, d'lites, or such also work.

Things like stigmata, where you alter your body or levitations also do good.

Lastly, involve your audience.

Above all, get a casual routine together and HAVE FUN! Good luck!

Aug 31, 2007
Ohh.... If your doing teens, do arm twister or disjointed, in fact, do disjointed as a follow up to arm twister.

Sep 3, 2007
You really shouldn't have said you were going to do the birthday, if you don't have an act already. 1 Week is not enough time to get a good show together... Just for future reference. Is it paid, or just free show?

You really shouldn't have said you were going to do the birthday, if you don't have an act already. 1 Week is not enough time to get a good show together... Just for future reference. Is it paid, or just free show?

Why does someone always beat me to saying it :).

Jib has some very good advice there, so take it to heart. Do the best that you can during this performance and don't take more than $50 from the people because there is no way in the world that this show will be up to par. I'm sorry to say that, but it is true, and do not take offense to that comment. Do not accept any other gigs until you have a real act from now on. One that is scripted, rehearsed, and as close to perfect as you can get it to be.

Good luck,
~David

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results