Smoke 2.0 vs Smoke 1.0?

Nov 7, 2008
Can someone tell me if the method between Smoke 2.0 and the original Smoke are similar, or entirely different? I just don't want to spend ?75 for something that is basically the same. If it is completely different, I anticipate that you could interchange the 2 techniques for repeated performances and reduce the possibility of it being detected dramatically. Literally back to back with no pauses.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey Tlusion,

Smoke 2.0 is an upgrade to the original Smoke. As such, the methods are very similar. You would recognize and be able to use Smoke 2.0 without ever seeing the video if you were familiar with the original.

Whether this is worth it to you or not depends on how you use Smoke. There are two main improvements in Smoke 2.0. One - it writes! No switching out the gimmick. This was always one of the biggest drawbacks to Smoke. Two - It is capable of producing bigger puffs of 'smoke'. We think that the improvements here are huge and worth the cost.

If it is completely different, I anticipate that you could interchange the 2 techniques for repeated performances and reduce the possibility of it being detected dramatically. Literally back to back with no pauses.

The gimmicks look the same, and have the same use. Smoke 2.0 replaces the original Smoke, but feel free to to try to come up with a combined use for both gimmicks if you like!

I hope this helps!

// L

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Book
Hey Tlusion,

Smoke 2.0 is an upgrade to the original Smoke. As such, the methods are very similar. You would recognize and be able to use Smoke 2.0 without ever seeing the video if you were familiar with the original.

Whether this is worth it to you or not depends on how you use Smoke. There are two main improvements in Smoke 2.0. One - it writes! No switching out the gimmick. This was always one of the biggest drawbacks to Smoke. Two - It is capable of producing bigger puffs of 'smoke'. We think that the improvements here are huge and worth the cost.

The gimmicks look the same, and have the same use. Smoke 2.0 replaces the original Smoke, but feel free to to try to come up with a combined use for both gimmicks if you like!

I hope this helps!

// L
Will this version of the gimmick allow the ink cartridges to be switched out for a different ink cartridge? If so, I can make my dream swiss army knife of a Sharpie pen that can perform multiple effects.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
smoke 2.0 trumps the original smoke in every way and good magic has a price. If you do not have the money right now, do not buy it

KWESST

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2015
What is the refill price for smoke 2.0? If nothing new is being learned, is there a reason why owners of smoke 1.0 can't buy 2.0 for refill price? Especially since the refills for the original are sold out.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
What is the refill price for smoke 2.0?
Refills for Smoke 2.0 aren't available yet, but will be in the coming few weeks. The price will be available at that time.

If nothing new is being learned, is there a reason why owners of smoke 1.0 can't buy 2.0 for refill price?
While the gimmicks are similar, they do have very important differences. In order to use and maintain Smoke 2.0 you need to watch the Smoke 2.0 video. While you might be able to pick up and figure out how to use a Smoke 2.0 gimmick within a short time period, there is a lot of information in the video that deals with the more complicated gimmick.

Especially since the refills for the original are sold out.
We have a batch of Smoke v1 refills on the way to our warehouse soon - likely next week! - that will be made available to Smoke v1 (existing) owners. After that batch is gone, Smoke v2 will be the name of the game thereafter. Existing owners of Smoke 1.0 can get a discount on Smoke 2.0 this week only - if that sounds like you, check your email or contact our support team ASAP for the special discount code!

Smoke 2.0 is a massive leap forward in the mechanics of the gimmick. After five long years of trial and error, we couldn’t be more proud to FINALLY get it out in the world!

// L

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2013
Is there any thread where ideas for using Smoke are being shared? Trying to think of what are the routines that can incorporate smoke but so far think quite limited to card from mouth routines and the ones already talked about in the tutorial.

TerryAdy

Elite Member
Sep 22, 2013
Nacogdoches, Texas
www.TerryAdy.com
Is there any thread where ideas for using Smoke are being shared? Trying to think of what are the routines that can incorporate smoke but so far think quite limited to card from mouth routines and the ones already talked about in the tutorial.

The best response to this question is probably....

Don't even think of it as simply smoke. Don't limit your creativity to a few ideas. Approach the "smoke" as if you're going to display it as something completely natural.

Off the top of my head:
Signed Angle Z to ice cube revealed with a mysterious mist as you produce the cube with the torn corner sealed within.

You're only limited by your own imagination. The above example isn't the best, it's 1:30 am and I'm half asleep, so I'll use THAT as an EXCUSE. :)
Just keep in mind NOT ALL SMOKE IS HOT.

CREATE WHAT YOU CAN AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF IT!

My outlook on creation:
If someone says something can't be done, find a way to do it. Not to prove them wrong, but to prove to yourself that nothing is impossible.

-Terry Ady

Reactions: Maxwell L.
Apr 26, 2013
The best response to this question is probably....

Don't even think of it as simply smoke. Don't limit your creativity to a few ideas. Approach the "smoke" as if you're going to display it as something completely natural.

Off the top of my head:
Signed Angle Z to ice cube revealed with a mysterious mist as you produce the cube with the torn corner sealed within.

You're only limited by your own imagination. The above example isn't the best, it's 1:30 am and I'm half asleep, so I'll use THAT as an EXCUSE. :)
Just keep in mind NOT ALL SMOKE IS HOT.

CREATE WHAT YOU CAN AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF IT!

My outlook on creation:
If someone says something can't be done, find a way to do it. Not to prove them wrong, but to prove to yourself that nothing is impossible.

-Terry Ady

Thanks for the advice TerryAdy :)

meauxfeaux

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2007
Switching was never an issue. It's easy and invisible. In fact, I still do a switch with 2.0. Why? Simple. I usually hand my Sharpie to a spectator to sign a card, etc. By switching I don't have to worry about inserting whatever germs the pen has just collected from a spectator's hands into my mouth. I'm sure most are aware that people's hands are one of the dirtiest parts of their bodies.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results