What is the most direct way to force the number 5?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
So here is what I would like to do:

My friend gave me a set of dice (one regular sided die and one that had only the number 5 on all sides)

I would like to hand them the die to examine then switch it for the other one, place it into their closed hand then have them name "any number."

Then when they open their hand, that number will be the only one on there.

I would like to avoid bringing in foreign objects (cards for example) and would like it to be as pure as possible (trying to avoid any kind of equivoque type thng unless it is very transparent. none of this "name a number, oke eliminate it, name another number, ok elimintate that one too, name another number, ok we will use that one" lol)

Any sources for good forcing techniques?

Nov 10, 2014
No idea on forcing techniques, but I do have a question, how are you going to switch out the dice I am curious, a modified Bobo switch perhaps?

Reactions: obrienmagic
Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
I don't deal much with psychological forcing, but I do know that if the person is right handed they will be most likely to name 4, whereas if they are left handed they will more often or not name 3. It's not foolproof but it works surprisingly often.

May 19, 2010
Just spit balling here, but what if you did a sort of mental riffle force with the normal die? Something where you hold it by opposite corners, spin it, and then ask them to see one number. You could play around with that.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
No idea on forcing techniques, but I do have a question, how are you going to switch out the dice I am curious, a modified Bobo switch perhaps?

Exactly!

One idea I have heard is to do a gamblers demo and "magicians choice" one of two outcomes.

I will give them a normal die to examine then ask them to name any number.

if they name 5 (which is the best solution lol) then I will say that the losing number is 5 and will bet the contents of my wallet that they will lose.

If then name any other number then I will bet them they cannot hit that number (less impossible but makes a good "out"

Either way they end up rolling the die with all fives and I say "but remember, this is a magic show and I never take any chances." or something like that.

Not bad as an alternate idea. But still want that impossible miracle you know? where they name 5 and suddenly that die changes in their hand. If I can solve that then this effect will be so strong I think!

Reactions: mclintock
Nov 10, 2014
Exactly!

One idea I have heard is to do a gamblers demo and "magicians choice" one of two outcomes.

I will give them a normal die to examine then ask them to name any number.

if they name 5 (which is the best solution lol) then I will say that the losing number is 5 and will bet the contents of my wallet that they will lose.

If then name any other number then I will bet them they cannot hit that number (less impossible but makes a good "out"

Either way they end up rolling the die with all fives and I say "but remember, this is a magic show and I never take any chances." or something like that.

Not bad as an alternate idea. But still want that impossible miracle you know? where they name 5 and suddenly that die changes in their hand. If I can solve that then this effect will be so strong I think!
I never thought of using the switch in that kind of way before seeing that, I will have to play around with that, very interesting.

Jun 13, 2013
I did an experiment once a long time ago. I asked people just one question. To pick a number between one and ten. One group I asked the question with no force the other question I did a force for the number 7. The force group did in fact pick the number 7 way more than the control group.
It can be easily done with the number 5 I believe but the consistency comes down to practise.

I'd be happy to pm you my thoughts on a number force but I don't know what I can say in the forums

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I did an experiment once a long time ago. I asked people just one question. To pick a number between one and ten. One group I asked the question with no force the other question I did a force for the number 7. The force group did in fact pick the number 7 way more than the control group.
It can be easily done with the number 5 I believe but the consistency comes down to practise.

I'd be happy to pm you my thoughts on a number force but I don't know what I can say in the forums

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Feel free to pm me!

I have asked a few people to name a number between 1 and 6 and 4 so far has been tho most common answer with 3 being the second most common.

Has to be some sort of psychological thing there

Nov 10, 2014
Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Feel free to pm me!

I have asked a few people to name a number between 1 and 6 and 4 so far has been tho most common answer with 3 being the second most common.

Has to be some sort of psychological thing there
Maybe you need to consider getting a die with all sides as 4s :)

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
Maybe make some forcing die that force the number 5. Two people can be involved. One person rolls the gimmicked die while the other person holds the die with only the number 5, or it can be done with one person by having one hand hold the 5 die and the other hand rolls the forcing die.

If that makes sense.

I've seen many online tutorials that can make dice weighted so it rolls a certain number every time.

Jul 7, 2014
If I had one I would consider it... the one I have is all 5's haha
If you aren't afraid of a little math...

1. Tell them to choose a side on the die. Add the number opposite to their number and subtract 2 (would require the spec to more than likely use the regular die to see which number is opposite, unless they just know that opposite sides of a die add up to one more than the number of sides)

2. Pick a number on a die. Multiply by ten then divide by twice the number. (Example, they choose 2. Multiplied by ten is 20, divide by double [4] is 5)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results