If the Presentation is New?

Dec 31, 2015
I have an effect that I have been pondering what to do with. The inner workings of it are by no means new, and the secret is one I'm sure many know. However, the storyline (patter) for the effect is unique, and fully my own. Would it be a good free marketplace release, even with the secret being classic, but the patter being unique?

I have an effect that I have been pondering what to do with. The inner workings of it are by no means new, and the secret is one I'm sure many know. However, the storyline (patter) for the effect is unique, and fully my own. Would it be a good free marketplace release, even with the secret being classic, but the patter being unique?
If you release it, be sure to credit the work of other magicians that came up with the original effect. There is no way to really copyright magic effects so it's up to us as a community to acknowledge the works of others who came before us. It just makes everyone happier this way.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I would personally put it on youtube (performance only) and point people in the right direction of where to learn it. I know I would personally be upset if someone else taught my routine for free.

The only two exceptions are: You get the originator's permission, or the effect is so old that it is considered public forum at this point.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com

If the mechanics are all old it will be declined in The Marketplace even if it is free. Presentation alone won't get you approval. We are looking for all three of these things:

1. Creativity
2. Originality
3. Production quality.

New presentation on an old effect fails point #2 and will be declined. Probably something better for you to show off in the media section.

// L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results