Pinky count?

Jul 6, 2014
While the pinky count seems to be a useful move, I must say I am a bit baffled at how many people recommend it.

Ive practiced it for a few years now, and I've found that 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 20 times I will end up having counted three cards instead of two at no fault of my own - the cards just "stick" or are slightly misaligned.

It just seems like a gamble if you really need that break and dont want to have to fiddle with the deck an extra few seconds.

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
At least for me, the pinky count is just as vital as a double lift, and I probably practice it just as much. Jason Ladanye has some great thoughts on the pinky count in his book "Confident Deceptions". He writes,
"Using the pinky count to obtain a break is far superior to looking at the inner end of the deck while riffling up the cards with your right thumb. Another poor method of catching a break is to spread over a few cards (for no reason) and then re-square the deck. Both of these methods are unmotivated. You also have to look directly at the deck, which makes the audience look at it as well. I believe that when an audience sees you do either of the above actions, they think, 'He just did something." The pinky count is undetectable by the sharpest of audiences."

The pinky count is the most reliable and discreet method I've come across for obtaining a break. I view it just as important as the double lift, and I practice it nearly as much and after a while you'll be able to prevent yourself from catching that extra card. I also think it's much easier to use a newer deck so the cards won't stick (although if it's brand new, the top card has a tendency to slide over which can cause problems).

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
If you want to do the "push two cards over to get a break" method, it would need to be done under misdirection, or while the deck is at your side. NEVER in plain view and DO NOT look at the deck when you do this.

That being said, I never use the pinky count and get away with the above method just fine. The move itself has no motivation, but you can motivate the move yourself.

Reactions: AmberGraci
I personally prefer the pinky count since it can be done one handed and thus takes attention away from my hands and people can make eye contact with me and focus on my patter. I highly recommend at least practicing the pinky count since it is relatively simple to just pick and attempt to do. Once you have it mastered, you won't have any regrets.

With that being said, as obrienmagic stated it is perfectly fine to use other methods that are not as clean as long as you can motivate a purpose for doing them.

Reactions: AmberGraci
Jul 6, 2014
Am I the only person who has problems with the cards sticking? Like I'll count two cards and end up getting three because two of the cards stuck together. it only happens with older decks, but I generally prefer to use a fairly broken in deck

May 3, 2016
Am I the only person who has problems with the cards sticking? Like I'll count two cards and end up getting three because two of the cards stuck together. it only happens with older decks, but I generally prefer to use a fairly broken in deck

You do realize that a "fairly broken deck" depending on your definition, could greatly hinder doing this correctly? I can do a pinky county, and it's always easier with fairly new cards. Also, looking at the deck while speaking to check how many you have, can work.

Ryan Malone

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2015
Ireland
In Expert Card Technique on page 50 there is a move called the thumb count I now its different from the pinky county but if you do cutting to a number trick in your routine this might help I am not saying this is better then the pinky count or worse then the pinky count but its a great way to count cards without looking you should look at it if you have the book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results