Jun 12, 2016
Arizona
I'm not quite sure that this is the right place to put this, so if this belongs somewhere else just tell me.

I'll go by X, and although I am very interested in the art of card magic, -and can perform many simple tricks,- I'm still relatively new to it and pretty bad at the flourishes and sleight of hand. I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions on how to improve my skills.

Oct 19, 2015
I too am a bit of an amateur. I did magic as a young man but quit as I got married and had kids, but over the last two years, following my retirement (I am now 66), I am back at it! One of the best bits of advice I got from folks on this website was to purchase some books that offer good information on the types of magic you are wanting to learn. I followed that advice and purchased, Mark Wilson's ...Complete Course in Magic. It is a wonderful book and offers a lot of magic including card magic with detailed instruction on the how to do it! I found a used one on Amazon and it came in very good condition. I think I got it for around $15 maybe less.....

As for the card section it discusses two distinct forms of card magic (three if you include card handling). As a relatively new practicener, I really liked the "self-working card tricks" I was able to immediately learn a number of these, and some are just pure fun to do! Later I worked on tricks that required hand skill and lot's of practice. I have concluded that a good mix of both types is a good fit for me, with a bit of card handling thrown in.

That would be my advice from my recent experiences.....Good Luck

May 3, 2016
Yeah, I said card magic in my post.

I've already got this, and I agree that it is an extremely useful tool, but I was really trying to find tips on how to improve my sleights and flourishes.

You can learn better or different techniques, but there aren't much in the way of shortcuts to getting better. So, just practice heavy duty.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Thank you, do you have any recommendations for some easy but effective techniques?

Yeah, I said card magic in my post.

Sorry for assuming, I just read your post quickly and saw flourishes, however my assumption was correct. What it boils down to is practicing. Unless you just want to get away with doing self-working card tricks which there is nothing wrong with(I don't know your goal). I would pick up a copy of Expert Card Technique and start at the first chapter with a deck of cards in hand. The video I put up there by Jason England is one of the best lists out there on what to read when interested in card magic.

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
Card College was the series I used to elevate my card magic. It can take you from complete novice to a valuable performer if you give it the time and practice it deserves.

Jason Englands "What to Read" (posted above) is a great source to find resources.

Dec 27, 2015
I'm not quite sure that this is the right place to put this, so if this belongs somewhere else just tell me.

I'll go by X, and although I am very interested in the art of card magic, -and can perform many simple tricks,- I'm still relatively new to it and pretty bad at the flourishes and sleight of hand. I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions on how to improve my skills.
Performing to people makes you better also only sticking to a handful of moves,what I wish I payed heed to in the beginning lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results