Etsy for magic = Forged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2015
Forged
Dream + Think + Create

I'm currently developing a website and eventually depending on the outcome an app that would connect gaff makers and people wanting gaffs together. It would have all the features of Etsy but only for magicians and illusions.

Early release will hopefully be released in two weeks. I was just wondering what you guys think about this. Any features you would want to see in this site would also be appreciated.

Reactions: Martin Eret
Jun 13, 2013
It could be good. But is it a market that wants it? If I need a coin gaff there are only two people I would go to for it because its good quality. The same is true for card gaffs. I actually make my own card gaffs, after practicing with a good stack of decks I can make a decent quality gaff.

With that said, I know people also don't want to do the 'work' to make a gaff and would gladly pay for it. So this could be a good idea if done well and magicians are wanting it.

Reactions: Martin Eret
Nov 18, 2015
Well yeah I totally agree. I think the two take aways from this idea is that 1) it gives people who don't have connections the ability to work with gaff makers and make their dreams come true therefore pushing magic more 2) also, it allows gaff makers the ability to sell their work and maybe someone will see it and get sparked to have an idea.

As far as it being well done, I have 14 years in the industry as a web developer and designer so it is a personal project of mine that combine both magic and development so it's a cool project for me.

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
I think there could be a lot of value in this! I know I would be interested in looking into purchasing certain gaffs which I have trouble with creating myself. It sounds like you're very qualified, so I'm very excited to see how it turns out!

As for features, I think it would be very helpful for the creators to post a trailer for their products, displaying their own creations in performance.

Thanks for all your work on this and towards progressing our art!

Reactions: nteinert
Jun 12, 2016
Arizona
This sounds like a great idea! I've always been fascinated with gaffs and it'd be great to communicate with people much better at creating them than I.

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback! We are currently designing the homepage and the shopping cart right now.

I think the videos are awesome and we already thought about including them.

We are also adding tags, for different categories, along with the ability to chat with shop owners to get custom gaffs and props built.

We are excited by the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Would a Kickstarter be something that y'all would participate in? We want this to be user driven and to serve the magic community well.

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
I'd definitely be willing to support a Kickstarter, if you go that route. I'd also try reaching out to some of the big names in the industry, whether it's wholesalers like T11 or individuals with a large enough following (e.g. Shin Lim). If you could get even a single endorsement, it could really help it take off and find your niche.

Nov 18, 2015
UPDATE:

We are done brainstorming and some of the features we are considering is:
- live chat with shop owners
- forum for exchanging and requesting custom stuff
- if we got the funding, it would be cool to do a GaffCon
- training and classes for specific gaff making techniques.

What other features would you like to see?

Thanks for all the support and we are bringing out A game for y'all.

Jun 13, 2013
Gaff training would be a great idea. I'd love to see more magicians able to make unique magic with their own made gaff.

I think it could be nice to have a "special gaff" area where you can request a unique gaff that maybe isn't normal. I've been working on a card gaff for a while now and haven't cracked the right way yet

Nov 18, 2015
UPDATE:

We almost have the initial registration page up and running. But this is where I need your help.

If you are interest in becoming a shop owner the first 50 people who register will get VIP access into setting up their shop. When I post the link, I will need y'all to spread the word like crazy to all of your contacts and let's build this into the new gaff shop.

Nov 18, 2015
@obrienmagic that is exactly what I was thinking. It is basically Etsy for magicians. As a shop owner, there is no limit what you can store in your shop magic related.

As far as the artist of the week, one of the Kickstarter goals at $500 is the artist of the week with a patron stamp associated with it.

Keep the ideas coming, this is truly your site and what you want you will get a direct voice in.

Nov 18, 2015
Hey guys, if you are interested in the progress of this project, check your inbox I have sent some updates out or inbox me and I will be happy to share with you the news.

Thank you for everything guys
Nick

KevinG10

Elite Member
May 15, 2015
yo just took a look at this, i think this is a great idea. have you already finished creating the website? if so, I'd be interested in joining

Nov 18, 2015
I think there could be a lot of value in this! I know I would be interested in looking into purchasing certain gaffs which I have trouble with creating myself. It sounds like you're very qualified, so I'm very excited to see how it turns out!

As for features, I think it would be very helpful for the creators to post a trailer for their products, displaying their own creations in performance.

Thanks for all your work on this and towards progressing our art!

Sounds good. Inbox me and I will share with you the link for seeing the updates.

Nov 18, 2015
Hey guys,

We have a Twitter so we are finally pushing things there. Look us up [Removed by Admin for advertising].

If you have any question or ideas, please keep them coming. We appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Sorry guys. This thread started off innocently as someone trying to develop a cool idea, but turned into a thread blatantly advertising a new business. Forum rules prohibit advertising, and the poster has been warned twice before today.

Future discussion of this business will be immediately removed due to the nature of recent postings.

You are welcome to post links to your social media pages or websites in your signature, however blatant advertising in the forums will not be tolerated.

Thanks!

// L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results