Help! Does anyone know a way to learn magic for free besides YouTube?

Feb 29, 2016
Help! Does anyone know a way to learn magic for free besides YouTube? I have been in magic for a year know and I need a way to learn intermediate and advanced tricks for free (Tight Buget) besides YouTube.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Try going to your local library and checking out the magic books at 793.8. You will be surprised what you find.

If you have some money, try books like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (around $15) ], Royal Road to Card Magic (around $10), Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (around $10), Expert Card Technique (around $12), Card Control (around $5), Expert at the Card Table (around $7). There are a lot of other inexpensive books that will teach you better than Youtube.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
+1 for going to a public library. Those still exist, right? :p

Since David gave a great answer to your question, I will ask what most people probably thought when reading your question. Do you think you have you just ran out of new items to discover? If so, you simply haven't looked in the right places. YouTube is a platform with an incredible amount of backlog content and new content being created all the time. Between Brian Brushwood, Jarek (Disturb Reality), and the countless other "teaching" channels, you can easily find plenty of medium-to-high quality methods and instruction for free. You might just need to look a little deeper. I bet you haven't even scraped the surface of good materials out there.

With that said, there are tons of great and affordable tricks (<$5) on all of the major magic websites. Most of them let you sort & filter items by price as well. There are plenty of highly rated releases in the T11 marketplace too; just read the reviews and look for the best effects within a certain price range. Anyways, my point is that there truly isn't a shortage of great ideas for free out there. You just need to do the research to find them. ;)

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Mar 2, 2016
I'm just going to suggest Jay Sankey's youtube channel if you feel like you have ran out of channels.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2X0s6-0luc_Egd01fZX2Tw

Like RealityOne said. The Library is always good. Although in some places, you may need a mosquito trapped in amber, and an island just off the coast of Costa Rica to access one.

Theory 11 has some free stuff in the marketplace, and in their usual store:
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace
https://store.theory11.com/products/fancy-band-chris-kenner
https://store.theory11.com/products/classic-color-change-jonathan-bayme

Another thing I'd suggest is looking in other online magic shops. Some have free products you can stream.

There are some magic books that are under public domain now too. So you can probably find a PDF for them. I don't know which ones though because I prefer to hold a physical book whilst reading it. It's just my personal taste.

Another thing you could try is getting some friends who are into magic (If you can find anyone who is into magic) and just share out resources.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
A great resource to use is the theory11 Marketplace. There are tons of great effects that you can learn which are completely free. The three most recent free trick releases on the Marketplace are great examples of solid effects that you can learn and practice. Here they are:

PROXY by Michael Sampson
O & W 4.5 by Kaan Akdogan
Fast Search by Alexandr Erohin

Those are only the most recent free effects; there are also tons of other free tricks on The Marketplace as well as other great tricks that will cost you pennies. Just takes a little searching based on price and watching the previews but if you want a goldmine for trick ideas, then the Marketplace is a fantastic place to start.

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
Speaking of free tricks, Living in a country like Pakistan where there is not even a single magic store and even a less expensive tricks such as $10 were expensive for me if one does the currency conversion and back in 2004 when i started there werent many resources on the internet to learn for free like they are today..... have to admit I started learning by downloading a few things illegally....but made a pledge to myself that if I ever earned any money through those illegally downloaded tricks I would buy them even if I already had their illegal copy..... but like everyone else have said here above there are now a lot of resources which provide things for free you just have to dig a bit more and soon you will learn that its not the amount of tricks you want at the end of the day..... its the perfection in just a few tricks that you will want and the ability to perform them for different set of ppl again and again

Jul 27, 2016
Mexico
Hello there! Have you try to
Thank you all for all of the ideas. I will check them all out! :)
create your own trick? I mean... I watch tutorials on YouTube all the time so I learn the "secret" behind that trick and start thinking "okay, now what can I do with that?" So I basically create at least 10 different tricks for each "secret or move". I think you can do that, there's a time when you have practice magic a lot and realize it's not all about the trick itself, it's like 50% the illusion 50% your performance, what do you tell to the spectators and that. The other day I was in a bar and the Barista gave me a deck and told me "your friends said you do magic, c'mon and show me some" I was kinda wasted, I won't like hahahaha but I made so much tricks using only the double lift. And when I almost screw the Gambeler vs Magician trick I used my charisma and fix it, and she definitely love it and thought it was part of the trick. So I suggest you keep innovating. If you want an advice or just talk about tricks or decks... Send me a message.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The library! 793.8 in the adult and children's section. I still find new stuff.

Check out your local magic club. Other magicians may have old books they are getting rid of and most clubs have a library.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm also looking for magic stuff, how would I go about finding a local magic club, I've never even thought of that before.

I contacted a local magician and asked if they attended any clubs. I found out about 4 monthly meetings that meet within 2 hours of my house and magic is not very popular in my area. Some clubs have Facebook pages or other websites but really the best thing has been word of mouth for me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results