Hi... from a confused layman...

Aug 22, 2016
Hi,
I am not into learning magic. I am not even sure if this is the right forum to ask this question.
I am not posting here to learn some trick, but to clear my confusion about whether it was sleight of hand or something supernatural that i experienced.
Please bear with me if I am asking something wrong...
Some years ago, a guy ( I wont call him friend) with whom i was staying for a few days, asked me to think of any 4 digit number. I just thought of a random number, didnt tell him. Then he asked me to check the inner part of my wallet, and to my surprise, there was a very tiny piece of folded paper on which that number was written...
Is such a thing "humanly" possible?
Regards
Confused.

Aug 22, 2016
That guy didnt meet me as a magician..
Sadly, he claimed to have some evil powers, and ripped me off... Not just that, made some evil predictions, which came true.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hi,
I am not into learning magic. I am not even sure if this is the right forum to ask this question.
I am not posting here to learn some trick, but to clear my confusion about whether it was sleight of hand or something supernatural that i experienced.
Please bear with me if I am asking something wrong...
Some years ago, a guy ( I wont call him friend) with whom i was staying for a few days, asked me to think of any 4 digit number. I just thought of a random number, didnt tell him. Then he asked me to check the inner part of my wallet, and to my surprise, there was a very tiny piece of folded paper on which that number was written...
Is such a thing "humanly" possible?
Regards
Confused.

There is no such thing as "real magic" like Harry Potter does, and what you describe would be very achievable to most somewhat studied magicians. So to answer your question, it was not something supernatural. Like has already been mentioned above.

In the future, I predict that you will be much more skeptical, and will protect your wallet a bit more. ;)

Sorry that you went through that.

Reactions: Confused123
Aug 22, 2016
Thank you Justin.Morris,
your words help a lot.
However, the thing that's troubling is more than the financial loss (though it was big) is the "prediction" he made which came true. I don't even want to write about it in a public forum. Would you allow me to send you a private message or an e-mail so that I could also get to talk to you about that?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
The best magicians devise ways to learn things that you don't yet even suspect that they are looking for. They may learn something personal about you without you knowing that they were digging into your information, just to reveal it at a later time as if by magic.

A very basic example. A magician holds out a deck and says "pick a card". You pick one. You put the card back in the deck. The magician then names your card. Impossible! There is no way the magician could possibly find out what card you picked from the time you picked it until the time he told you your card.

The magician caused you to make an assumption that he learned the value of your card AFTER you picked it. What if, by some sly method, the magician knew which card you would pick BEFORE you picked it? Things are suddenly much easier to explain.

If a magician makes a prediction, he has figured out a way to get information via a secret method that seems impossible. It can be unnerving, especially if it is of personal nature. Don't let it get to you. Magicians can exploit any possible source of information to do something that seems impossible. "Psychics" use techniques to fish information out of you without you having any idea. Some mediums will go as far as digging into your social media and personal records to be able to name a deceased family member and say that the deceased is talking. Most people who use magic tricks use them without malicious intentions, but others don't hold to that code of conduct. No matter how real it seems, the predictions are NOT based on any sort of power, they are based on cons and social engineering. Take no heed to those, even if it seems that the predictions are coming true.

None of us are going to know the access this person had to your information, so we won't likely be able to tell you exactly how he did these things. That said, we can all tell you that he was a con and employed known magic methods to obtain whatever information he used for his "prediction".

// L

Jul 6, 2014
As far as the prediction - have you ever read or seen the play Macbeth I believe it was? It may have been another Shakespeare play, I can't remember.

The point is an oracle makes a negative prediction of a characters future. The character believes in it and ends up making it come true through his fear.

You probably believed what this guy predicted because of him guessing the number (which is almost certainly a magic trick that can be recreated) and your fear and thinking actually lead the situation occurring.

You can see this happen in everyday situations too, such as a person fearing their partner is cheating on them when the partner actually isn't. their paranoia of the possibility of cheating ends up causing them not to trust the partner, come across negatively, and thus ruin the relationship. If they had just let the fear go and been trusting, things would have gone smoothly and the relationship would have endured. Another example would be you get so scared you won't pass a test that you can't perform during the test despite knowing the answers, and you fail. Never underestimate the power of the mind to create outcomes, the subconscious is extremely powerful.

Of course I don't know what your situation was, but this is likely what happened.

Mar 2, 2016
As far as the prediction - have you ever read or seen the play Macbeth I believe it was? It may have been another Shakespeare play, I can't remember.

The point is an oracle makes a negative prediction of a characters future. The character believes in it and ends up making it come true through his fear.

You probably believed what this guy predicted because of him guessing the number (which is almost certainly a magic trick that can be recreated) and your fear and thinking actually lead the situation occurring.

You can see this happen in everyday situations too, such as a person fearing their partner is cheating on them when the partner actually isn't. their paranoia of the possibility of cheating ends up causing them not to trust the partner, come across negatively, and thus ruin the relationship. If they had just let the fear go and been trusting, things would have gone smoothly and the relationship would have endured. Another example would be you get so scared you won't pass a test that you can't perform during the test despite knowing the answers, and you fail. Never underestimate the power of the mind to create outcomes, the subconscious is extremely powerful.

Of course I don't know what your situation was, but this is likely what happened.

I love Macbeth. One of my favourites.

Anyway, back to topic, Con Artists have things called marks, which are basically targets. They are the equivalent to a magicians spectator.

Con Artists also have something called 'Shills' which are coconspirators who pretends to not know the other con artist.

To me, from the information given, it sounds like you were manipulated behind the scenes. Maybe using one or more Shills.

Aug 22, 2016
Thank you all of you for your help.
It means a lot to me.
Even though I am 100% certain that his "prediction" had no way for him to guess about it, but the other thing of the paper in my wallet with a number on it can at least be considered as some sort of trick, and thats some relief to me.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Thank you Justin.Morris,
your words help a lot.
However, the thing that's troubling is more than the financial loss (though it was big) is the "prediction" he made which came true. I don't even want to write about it in a public forum. Would you allow me to send you a private message or an e-mail so that I could also get to talk to you about that?

Yes you can absolutely send me a message if you like. Lots of great points here, and there are a ton of possibilities for what took place. Hopefully you will be free from that stress.

Aug 4, 2015
Thank you all of you for your help.
It means a lot to me.
Even though I am 100% certain that his "prediction" had no way for him to guess about it, but the other thing of the paper in my wallet with a number on it can at least be considered as some sort of trick, and thats some relief to me.

There are such things as mentalists and they are among this community. However they depend on their skill rather than the supernatural. It's through facial expressions, subtle clues or hints you don't even know you might be communicating. I personally do believe in sorcery (I'm a christian, sue me) but I think you just came across a very skilled mentalist. But I guess you'll never know for sure. Did he steal any money?

Aug 22, 2016
I personally do believe in sorcery (I'm a christian, sue me) but I think you just came across a very skilled mentalist. But I guess you'll never know for sure. Did he steal any money?

Even I believe in sorcery, but now I have realised that he was just a swindler, a crook.
And about stealing money, yes it was a BIG hole in my pocket, as he had my cards with him.
And it took me several years of hard work to repay the debt on those cards.
But the best thing that has happened after talking to Justin and all other guys here is that I have got rid of all the negative emotions about that experience and wont spend anything in an attempt to get rid of his "spell".

Reactions: David Brooke
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results