Looking For a Foundation

Aug 22, 2016
Hey guys, so I've been practicing magic for maybe about six months now. I started out with basic sleight of hand like the Double Lift and Jog Controls and the like.

Since then I've moved to self-working card tricks to work on my presentation, even getting a Svengali deck.

Basically I'm looking for advise on what moves I should learn to get back into sleight of hand. What my Foundation should be, as I feel my learning before was just too random.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I love Royal Road to Card Magic for a good foundation on the basics and then move up to Expert Card Technique. Both have a number of excellent tricks that beginners can do easily and are also killers! Card College Vol. 1 and 2 also comes highly recommended for beginners. Check out Jason Englands video on what to read for more information.

Good luck!

Making the sleights less random is going to be more about putting them back into context. Basically every sleight was created to aid in an effect and if you can put it back into its context, or even find a new context for the sleight, then it will no longer be as random. I'll gladly be the first to second Dominus Dolorum's recommendation for Royal Road to Card Magic because it gives context to the sleights as it explains them! However, if you want something to work on right now you can pick up on various card routines that require the moves you want to practice. Examples being: Ambitious Card (This routine can include top changes, top card cover shifts, double turnovers, etc.), Triumph (Top change, false overhand shuffles, push through shuffles / zarrow shuffles, etc.), The Biddle Trick (Turnover pass, false overhand shuffles, false counts, etc.) If you know these then try to find new or different sleights that you can use to get the same effect! Also, since you're looking for card sleights, check out "The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel."

Hope this was helpful!

Aug 22, 2016
Thanks so much for the advise guys. I've already started to dig into Card College and the Ambitious Card Routine. Rest assured I will definately be following through on the rest of your advise.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results