Hi... from a confused layman...

Jul 6, 2014
Confused, what exactly did he predict? Just give a general direction, I'm interested to know if his predictions were a trick too

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have studied psychics and mentalists and have a good understanding of their methods and techniques.

As others have said, predictions can be self fulfilling. If you listen to so called psychics on television or the radio, you will notice that they first "probe" for information. "I sense you are worried about someone close to you?" You answer, "Yes." They say, "It's a woman, maybe a relative?" You answer, "Yes, it's my sister." "She's been having problems lately and you wish you could help." "Yes, she has been in the hospital with cancer." They say, "She is going to need your strength because I see some setbacks in her treatment." You nod in agreement. "She is going to make it through, but here always will be a concern that things will get worse again."

Now, substitute your brother and his financial conditions. All of the statements could apply with one "miss"... "It's a woman, maybe a relative?" "It's my brother" "I was getting the strong sense that it was a relative.

How about your girlfriend and her relationship with her parents? Again, a miss on the relative but a hit on being a "woman." The cover is, "Yes, I knew it was a woman, and could sense that you felt like she is part of your family."

Under any of these circumstance, the statement "[the person] will need your strength" is going to be correct. If someone is worried about someone they will always lend moral support to them. Also, the statement that things will get better, but there will be setbacks is true about ANYTHING in life as is the concern about things getting worse. Take any problem and the same prediciton applies to it.

What happens then is that the person applies their own knowledge to the prediciton. In terms of the sister with cancer, setbacks can be reactions to chemotherapy and the worry can be about about the cancer coming back. In financial problems, the setback could be losing a house or bankruptcy and the worry can be getting into debt again.

The strength of the prediciton is based on the level that the person buys into it. A psychic can get a person to buy into it more if they make correct statements about the person. At any given time, there is something that we are happy, hopeful, worried, excited, dreading or scared about. There always is someone we care about, are worried about, are in love with or are angry with. Asked a question about those topics, most people will tell the person in a conversation the details. A psychic then parrots back those details as if they already knew them. It normally goes like this, "I can tell that something is upsetting you." "Yes, it's my mom." "I could see that, there is a problem with your relationship." "Yes, she is always telling what to do." "And when she does that you feel like she is treating you like a child." "Exactly." If you think about it, the psychic isn't reading your emotions but is simply parroting back what you said and explaining how they would feel. Part of the buy in is a demonstration of "other" powers - like the number prediction. As others have stated, that can be done simply through slight of hand.

There is a mentalism demonstration called a question and answer act. The mentalist is handed a bunch of sealed envelopes collected from the audience and then examines each one and states the question asked on the paper inside the envelope and provides an answer to the question. It goes like this... "Someone in the audience, I'm sensing it is an older gentlemen, is asking about his relationship with his daughter. He is concerned that she is drifting away from him. I get the sense that she is young, but not that young. Maybe college aged and is just setting out on her own. Can you open the envelope?" Envelope reads, "My daughter just graduated college and she seems to be drifting away from me. Any advice I give her, she thinks is wrong. I"m worried about her taking the wrong path." The mentalist then subtlety glances at the person who asked the question and answers, "Sometimes in life, everyone needs to strike out on their own. At that age, you've done your best in raising your child and you have to believe in them. They will make mistakes, but what is important is that it is their mistake and that they learn from them. As a parent, you need to let them know you will be there to support them in both their mistakes and their successes. It is only by letting go that you can establish an adult relationship with her" Notice, the pattern. The demonstration of ability (knowing what is in the envelope and identifying the person who asked the question) and the providing of advice / prediction. An ethical mentalist will provide good advice based on their life experiences -- the sort you can get from a hairdresser, bartender or priest. Most of the advice should be empowering -- letting people know that their decision control their destiny. Someone who isn't ethical gives the opposite advice - that there is something that is destined.

I hope this give you some comfort. And I hope this has established some credibility on my part so that you will listen to my advice. Our lives are dictated not by predictions or others thought, but by our own actions and our own beliefs. We are free to believe in ourselves and our abilities or we can believe in others powers over us and their abilities to control us. It is your choice.

Those who know me on the forums, understand that I usually can recommend a book for every thing. My recommendation here is for you to get a my favorite book called "Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah." It is not a religious book, but a book that provides a perspective about how we are free to choose whatever life we want -- that our choices of how we respond to events dictate our lives more than the events themselves.

Reactions: Martin Eret
Aug 22, 2016
We are free to believe in ourselves and our abilities or we can believe in others powers over us and their abilities to control us. It is your choice.

Great thought RealityOne....
Will make a poster and put up in my room.
And here, the word "others", I can take it as that guy, or even circumstances, so this statement will be guiding me my entire life :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results