Magicians force and marked card?

Jul 14, 2016
hey all how's everyone doing? I was hoping if anyone can point me I the right direction here. Does anyone know where I can learn as much as I can in the magicians force and a guide to marked cards. I found a book for marked cards called hidden in plain sight maybe someone here who owns it can tell me if its worth the read. Basically I want to perform an effect where I can hand the deck to a spectator and have them shuffle the deck as much as they want. I then have them eliminate packets of cards until they are left with one card. I then pull out a card from my pocket which is the same as the card that they were left with. I've been playing around with this for the past days and found I great way to achieve this but as I am unfamiliar with the 2 methods mentioned in the title I hit a block for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 9, 2016
Hidden in Plain Sight is a Boris Wild book if I recall, and has some good general info on marked cards, pretty thorough info.

Daniel Madison has a book called How To Cheat At Cards which has a chapter on marked systems and it's also pretty thorough including blood system and others, as well as some content on pegging/punching, even some on the fly methods used primarily at a table. All good info if you're yet unfamiliar.

As far as forces, there are a seeming endless and various forces out there in many forms.

As to resources for forcing, the classics are a great place to start; Expert at the Card Table, Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Brave (all available as cheap Dover paperbacks about $10 ea), and Giobbi's Card College volumes are a few off the top of my head, as well as some videos here on T11. So many more but those are good places to start.

The Classic Force is great, but takes a long time to really learn (worth every minute to get it) so maybe try some other effective, simpler, and more surefire forcing techniques/methods to start with. Find a few you like and get started on those, come back for more later.

Hope this helped and best of luck!

FB

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I believe he means the "magicians force" as in "magicians choice", otherwise known as an "Equivoke". If that's the case, look up Max Mavens work, he is famous for it. Also Mark Elsdon. My personal preference is the work of Colin McLoud on this subject.

Reactions: Martin Eret
Jul 14, 2016
Haha yes sorry I meant the magicians choice. I will Defenitely look into the things you both mentioned, really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hidden in Plain Sight is a great book. Probably the best book on marked cards. Worth the read. There is an "you find my card" effect where the spectator finds your card while you find theirs.

For equivoque I highly suggest Multiplicity by Max Maven.

I'm not sure Multiplicity is worth the price tag. Dominos - do you have the DVD?

The concept of Equivoque can be learned in Mark Wilson's Complete Course for around $15. The key to using that concept is to adapt the presentation so that it seems natural. There are a lot more sources here: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?search=equivoque

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I do but fortunately I didn't have to buy it myself. I just looked it up on Penguin and you're right it's pretty steep. It does offer some excellent advice on the art of equivoque but for the basics it's better to go with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, or some other introductory source.

Jul 14, 2016
Hidden in Plain Sight is a great book. Probably the best book on marked cards. Worth the read. There is an "you find my card" effect where the spectator finds your card while you find theirs.

I'm not sure Multiplicity is worth the price tag. Dominos - do you have the DVD?

The concept of Equivoque can be learned in Mark Wilson's Complete Course for around $15. The key to using that concept is to adapt the presentation so that it seems natural. There are a lot more sources here: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?search=equivoque
Thanks I ordered a copy of both books can't wait to get into it. So I was thinking of what you said of making it sound natural so I came up with a presentation with multiple outs I believe. Do you mind if I shoot you a pm to discuss it further?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results