Beginning Card Tricks

Nov 3, 2016
I'm a beginner to card tricks and I practice everyday and sometimes at school too, and some kids I'll ask me to do a trick so I try this one I came up with myself but I can never get it right, so does anyone know of any simple tricks I could do that still involve basic magic things (slight of hand, misdirection, etc) that are easy for beginners

Oct 19, 2015
What is really neat about learning card tricks is there are two basic types of tricks. Self-Working which are, and I quote from Mark Wilson's book Complete Course in Magic,

"...many excellent card tricks that practically work themselves and are nearly fool-proof from the magician's viewpoint yet are real bafflers where the spectators are concerned."
You also have card tricks that require slight of hand and manipulations by the magician. When properly learned and executed these are some of the most spectacular card magic one can do, in my opinion. But I believe having a mix of both types is well suited for those who indulge in this craft!

Oct 6, 2015
In my opinion, the three best sources of card magic are:

1.Scarne on Card Tricks

2. The Expert at the Card Table

3. The Royal Road to Card Magic

Just my 2 cents:)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Self-Working

I really HATE that label (nothing against you @Timewise64, just whoever coined that phrase). First, it suggests that the magician has nothing to do with the magic. Nothing could be further than the truth. Magic that doesn't involve sleight of hand involves just as much in presentation as any other magic. Second, the finger flicking folks who frolic with flourishes and sleight of hand seem to think just because something that doesn't involve sleight of hand it can't be good magic. Wrong. Roberto Giobbi has a great introduction to card tricks that don't involve sleight of hand in his Card College Light.

In my opinion, the three best sources of card magic are:

1.Scarne on Card Tricks

2. The Expert at the Card Table

3. The Royal Road to Card Magic

Just my 2 cents:)

Wait, so I didn't need to get the ohter 147 books in m library?;)

They are all good books, especially for the price. However, Giobbi's Card College Series (both books 1 through 5 and Light, Lighter and Lightest) are excellent and cover so much more. Also, Expert at the Card Table is not a beginner book and is not a book that is easy to learn from (although the annotated editions are great).

There are a lot of great books on cards out there. I love stuff by Bannon, Gusteferro, Stone, Lavand, Tamaritz, DaOrtiz, Aragon, Harris, Acer, Krenzel, Jennings, Vernon, Fulves, Ascanio, Dobson and, oh yeah, Steinmeyer.

Oct 19, 2015
I really HATE that label (nothing against you @Timewise64, just whoever coined that phrase). First, it suggests that the magician has nothing to do with the magic. Nothing could be further than the truth. Magic that doesn't involve sleight of hand involves just as much in presentation as any other magic. Second, the finger flicking folks who frolic with flourishes and sleight of hand seem to think just because something that doesn't involve sleight of hand it can't be good magic. Wrong. Roberto Giobbi has a great introduction to card tricks that don't involve sleight of hand in his Card College Light.

Wait, so I didn't need to get the ohter 147 books in m library?;)

They are all good books, especially for the price. However, Giobbi's Card College Series (both books 1 through 5 and Light, Lighter and Lightest) are excellent and cover so much more. Also, Expert at the Card Table is not a beginner book and is not a book that is easy to learn from (although the annotated editions are great).

There are a lot of great books on cards out there. I love stuff by Bannon, Gusteferro, Stone, Lavand, Tamaritz, DaOrtiz, Aragon, Harris, Acer, Krenzel, Jennings, Vernon, Fulves, Ascanio, Dobson and, oh yeah, Steinmeyer.

RealityOne....the term "Self Working" is a direct quote out of the book 'Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic'...which I bought because you recommended it to me.......SMILE!

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results