• Deck of Cards

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Create magic.

The starting point for creativity should be the effect -- what you want the audience to see and experience. Then you figure out a method to get there. Starting with a method or plot is backwards. It sounds like you are creating just to create something.

Typically, when I see these sorts of posts, I get the sense that the person posting doesn't have the experience or knowledge to "create" and is better off spending their time learning. I see these types of posts like a medical student after one month asking, "which organ should I figure out a new way to replace on a person -- a heart, spleen, liver or bladder?"

I'm going to guess that you've been doing magic less than two years, don't have any books on card magic (maybe RRTCM or EATC and one more that you haven't read), don't have Giobbi's Card College series and can't tell me about more than two of the following: John Bannon, John Gustaferro, Simon Aronson, Woody Aragon, Juan Tamaritz, Auturo de Ascanio, Larry Jennings, Brother John Hamman, David Acer, Tommy Wonder and Tom Stone.

I'm not wrting this to discourage you from creating, but to encourage you to learn more about card magic before you try to create something that most likely was already created.

Jul 27, 2016
Mexico
Create magic.

The starting point for creativity should be the effect -- what you want the audience to see and experience. Then you figure out a method to get there. Starting with a method or plot is backwards. It sounds like you are creating just to create something.

Typically, when I see these sorts of posts, I get the sense that the person posting doesn't have the experience or knowledge to "create" and is better off spending their time learning. I see these types of posts like a medical student after one month asking, "which organ should I figure out a new way to replace on a person -- a heart, spleen, liver or bladder?"

I'm going to guess that you've been doing magic less than two years, don't have any books on card magic (maybe RRTCM or EATC and one more that you haven't read), don't have Giobbi's Card College series and can't tell me about more than two of the following: John Bannon, John Gustaferro, Simon Aronson, Woody Aragon, Juan Tamaritz, Auturo de Ascanio, Larry Jennings, Brother John Hamman, David Acer, Tommy Wonder and Tom Stone.

I'm not wrting this to discourage you from creating, but to encourage you to learn more about card magic before you try to create something that most likely was already created.
You seem so informed, do you have any advise for me? A junior magician. I think I've mastered the card palm and double lift, also the card control and forcing. But I haven't read any book about card magic. Could you recommend me some? Please.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You seem so informed, do you have any advise for me? A junior magician. I think I've mastered the card palm and double lift, also the card control and forcing. But I haven't read any book about card magic. Could you recommend me some? Please.

If you can afford it, get the first two books in the Card College Series. They were originally written together as a two volume "complete course" and then the next three volumes were added to further expand the series.

If your budget is limited, get Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue, Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue (not Expert at the Card Table), Card Control by Arthur Buckley and Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties by Jerry Mentzer. Those four books should cost about the same as one volume of Card College. I'd also throw in Scarne on Card Tricks because it has the classic non-sleight of hand effects.

For more advanced material, I love Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment series. I'm also a big fan of John Bannon. His book High Caliber is a collection of some really great material. I think his book Impossibilia is avalable as a download. Another great card guy is John Gustaferro, his book One Degree has some great routines.

Oct 1, 2016
Like the OP I would have to "read" = learn via a download. Some of the the book lingo is over beginners heads, mine included. Reading is fine but a visual example is necessary even for me (at 60) to "learn" the lingo. I have only just understood the Cardini Change & double lift and putting them in combination. I am working on doing them all WITH a Bicycle stripper deck. OMG Its like a revelation to me after 6 weeks of working with a deck of ACE and getting 1,2,3 cards on a Cardini roll. I will look to Bridge and Bees for plain cards I can do RnT with so as not to waste.

can't tell me about more than two of the following: John Bannon, John Gustaferro, Simon Aronson, Woody Aragon, Juan Tamaritz, Auturo de Ascanio, Larry Jennings, Brother John Hamman, David Acer, Tommy Wonder and Tom Stone.
Don't forget about Fred Kaps. I feel like a lot of younger magicians have no idea who he is when he was one of the most influential magicians of the 20th century. I can't recommend studying him enough if anyone wants to know how to act on stage. Some consider him to even be the greatest magician who ever lived.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
One more thing, this Card College Edition embeds video of Roberto demonstrating all techniques. So you get the best of both mediums.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results