DIY Card Back Gimmickry

Aug 3, 2016
Hello, I'm looking for advice specifically for DIY card gaffs/gimmicks. I feel this is a cheaper alternative for me as I'm more of a move monkey. However I'm doing a parlour setting for a camera, and require only a few types of gimmicks for the routine. I would like any other DIYer's advice in creating gaff cards, most prominently in:
- Vertical split back (backs half Red and half Blue)
- Blank faces and any tips in crafting techniques (from your experiences)
- Your advice in gluing or rubber cement or any other adhesives

Mar 6, 2015
You can peel playing card layers. Tip the corner of card on a hard surface and peel the layers. Playing cards have three layers. After peeling front and back layers then discard black glued middle layer. Place the peeled front and back layers in a book and left them for several days. After they became flat, sand their backs with 1200 or finer grit wet and dry sandpaper. Place a layer on dry mounting tissue and tack the layer on tissue with an iron. Follow instructions of dry mounting tissue for this because there are several kinds of dry mounting tissues.

Black glue on mid layer can be dissolved with water but because it mess the other layer, so do not try this.

Making gaffed cards -like as Hofzinser cards- with dry mounting tissue is a time consuming work.

Mar 6, 2015
You can use 200 gram per square meter paper for Bicycle Standard cards and 250 gram per square meter paper for Bee cards instead of black glued mid layer to achieve correct card thickness. These papers can be find in A4 size at photocopying stores.

Aug 3, 2016
Thanks for all the input, my issue is still just making this:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...MDQAhVhxYMKHU3uCtsQMwgbKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

I am trying to gimmick a deck or at least enough to seem like a deck in order to do so however, I'm gluing half backs onto the card(I.e. A half red on a blue card). My issue is I'm pretty certain I will get a very lopsided deck if I continue to do so. If I instead reversed it to half blue on red for example, I think it's a poor gimmick, but am I just overly worried? Is there a better way to make these?

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Thanks for all the input, my issue is still just making this:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://printbymagic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BLUE-RED-BACK-VERTICAL.jpg&imgrefurl=http://printbymagic.com/product/vertical-red-blue-back-bicycle-cards-choose-side/&docid=AfUpANbHe-WE1M&tbnid=us3krl7EM4QyIM:&vet=1&w=688&h=962&hl=en-ca&client=safari&bih=320&biw=568&ved=0ahUKEwjD2cbWwMDQAhVhxYMKHU3uCtsQMwgbKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

I am trying to gimmick a deck or at least enough to seem like a deck in order to do so however, I'm gluing half backs onto the card(I.e. A half red on a blue card). My issue is I'm pretty certain I will get a very lopsided deck if I continue to do so. If I instead reversed it to half blue on red for example, I think it's a poor gimmick, but am I just overly worried? Is there a better way to make these?

The issue with making that particular gaff is that, that's manufactured in a factory. I don't think you can do it exactly as it is, as you're always going to have a crease down the middle. It's easier just purchasing that particular gaff.

You could create flap cards, however, which are wonderful. Alexis De La Fuente does some brilliant work with flap cards.

Aug 3, 2016
The issue with making that particular gaff is that, that's manufactured in a factory. I don't think you can do it exactly as it is, as you're always going to have a crease down the middle. It's easier just purchasing that particular gaff.

You could create flap cards, however, which are wonderful. Alexis De La Fuente does some brilliant work with flap cards.

So there is no viable route to produce these by hand? I made around 20 of these by hand, and yeah they're too thick and can't be concealed as a deck because the extra half back add too much height. Thanks for all your advice everyone, guess they're only any good if you use it standalone.

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
So there is no viable route to produce these by hand? I made around 20 of these by hand, and yeah they're too thick and can't be concealed as a deck because the extra half back add too much height. Thanks for all your advice everyone, guess they're only any good if you use it standalone.

If you photocopy onto gsm paper that matches bikes, then I suppose you can, but that may be classed as plagiarism or copyright (you'd have to check with someone more familiar with it)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's only plagiarism if you claim to be the creator, and it's only going to be an issue if you try to sell them as such - I think. I am not a lawyer.

You may want to look into Hondo Chen's Flap video.

Jul 17, 2017
Search for the tutorial by Hendo Chen called FLAP. It shows how to make a diagonal split back - but you can use the exact same technique to build one split down the center.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results