Culling Cards..Is it worth it to learn?

Apr 26, 2013
I've been performing for over 10 years now and I have only ever made an attempt to cull a single card. I learned the Hofzinser Spread Cull in Card College Vol.1, however yesterday I purchased "The Cullfather" from Big Blind Media. My only question to our more seasoned ccardmen, is it worth it to learn the cull? I mean in terms of effects, what are the possibilities?

I know we are able to separate red/blacks, triumph, load to top/bottom or any location of deck, but in terms of effects with the cull being the strong sleight, are there any out there?

It is the one of the greatest sleights of all time. I do Kostyas Triumph all the time, Out of this world, gambling effects where I find the 4 aces, it allows me to set up almost any trick on the fly. I can't talk about this enough. It takes a lot of practice and is worth every second. Kostya has a lot of great effects using it.

Reactions: Iain and zipote

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Even if only to cull 1 card i think it is a great tool to keep in your arsenal. I have an "out" if you happen to deal with a heckler who wants to put the card in anywhere they want and shuffle. You let them actually take the cards and legit loos it into the deck... You then take the deck back and say "wouldn't it be cool if the card was now on top?" You turn the top card over but it isn't there.... "You say wait minute, that usually works." Try again a couple times... look puzzled like it isn't working for some reason.... then ask what their card was. They will think they "won" here and will tell you.... as you look through the cards say something like "That is impossible are you sure?" once you locate their card, cull it to the top and continue to "look through the deck for their card." Look at them with a puzzled face and say "you said the X of X? Well that is impossible because i don't keep that card in the deck. I keep it in my wallet/pocket/other impossible location." Simply palm off the top card and move it to your impossible location for an awesome "Gotcha" moment to deal with the heckler haha

There is at least 1 use for it! :)

Reactions: CWhite
Sep 20, 2016
Personally, I suck at culling cards, but the one time where I feel comfortable enough to actually use it in a performance is when I have the spectator select a card, place it face up in the middle, and then cull it to second from the bottom. When the selected card is second from the bottom, I explain to them how I am going to throw the deck from my right, to my left hand, and in the process of explaining that, I out jog the very bottom card, just enough so that my middle finger is now contacting both the bottom card, and the selection. Then, I throw the deck to my left hand, making sure to keep my finger in contact with the top, bottom, and second from the bottom card. Then, you are left with two indifferent cards, and the selection sandwiched in between. This usually gets pretty good reactions, and I often use it as an opener. Just an idea.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The question of whether it's worth it to learn a particular move is: Will you use it?

I never cull cards so I have only a basic level of skill with it. Kostya Kimlat is obviously amazing with it and he uses it to great effect.

If you think it is a skill that will benefit you in some way, then learn it.

Reactions: CWhite

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Yes. Though as above it depends what you want to do, but I do believe it is one of the most valuable sleights I know. I use "David's Cull", but Roadrunner also has an excellent reputation. The cull is something you can think of many creative uses for which makes it the type of thing every card magician should consider learning.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
If you are into card studies since 10 years, you would have by now discovered that we don't study card moves for practical purposes (only).
So the answer is yes, it is worth to learn

Oct 29, 2016
I always utilize the spread cull in culling a volunteer's card to the bottom then having the deck face me and I am easily able to (pretend to)guess what card he or she chose. Very useful and so many more possibilities I am yet to play with with it.

Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
I bought David's Cull and Kostya Kimlat's RoadRunner Cull. I learnt both and picked the one that suits me best and think of ways I can use the other. Learning the cull is very useful for me, as I can control the cards. But I spoke to some of the local magicians and they said that utility moves or tricks are good to know and have even if you don't use them because you may need to one day. I'd say just learn the cull and see if it is something that you need for yourself, if not then at least you have some exposure to culling techniques and what you can do with it.

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
I think it really comes down to what "style" you do. Some people, they do a lot of techniques that are varied. Others have a "toolbox" of moves they do regularly to perform whatever they want to do. Me, I've never had a lot of comfort doing culling, so I don't do it to control a card to top, but I still get the card I need to the top of the deck.

It's all about how you want to go about doing business, really. If you feel the need to master it, do so. If you never use it, you've still got it handy if you feel like somebody is figuring out how you do things and want to change the routine a bit to throw 'em off the scent. That said, you've gotten this far without culling so it's not like you should give up card work if you struggle with it.

Mar 8, 2016
If you are into card studies since 10 years, you would have by now discovered that we don't study card moves for practical purposes (only).
So the answer is yes, it is worth to learn

Agreed. Kimlat (spelling?) cull can be used for one card if needed. Also, there should be so many things after 10 years. For me, not so many but I like coins

Reactions: BruceL1
Jun 21, 2013
The cull is a great utility move to have. Admittedly, I've asked myself the same question. Is it worth it to learn? So I put it off for a few years and as a result acquired the skill later than most people. The short answer is yes. Learn the move, amazing applications. Use it in gambling demonstrations, pure card control etc.,

Dec 11, 2016
The classic pass is a great alternative however I like the spread cull
My hands are tiny and when I do the pass with the deck in right hand and left being the cover hand part of the deck can be seen on the left of the cover hand

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results