Need help with assisted living home show

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right, last week I was volunteered to tag along to do some magic for an assisted living home. I normally work with kids, but hey, why not. Experience is experience, right?

Thing is, I want to make sure I can prepare myself the best I can for this.

I tried asking relevant questions. So far it's around 8-12 people at this home (it's small). So it's a small parlour show, I can handle that.

The home is for alzheimer's and dementia patients.

My question is this: for anyone who has done anything like this, or is knowledgeable in this territory; what sort of tricks would work best for this environment? What should I stay away from (I am assuming anything that involves memorization. Any others?)

Up to this point, I have done a few 'mini' kids shows and my twins birthday party. A LOT of the tricks I have (all self-working tricks) rely heavily on spectator involvement in some fashion. I can change up presentation to make it LESS involved. I'm just giving background at this point.

Oh. And the show is on Friday....at 8:30....in the morning. Oi vey, thats early.

I meant to ask this earlier in the week, but I have been sick. So so sick. I'm better now, but man, this last week has been nutty,

Anyway. Any help? Advice? Questions? Complaints?

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
Don't count on just alzheimer's and dementia. A lot of seniors have hearing and vision difficulties as well, so your props need to be big enough to be visible for them. A coin vanish may be a really killer effect but at 18 feet with 20/200 vision, they can barely see you, much less the coin.

If you've got silks, a dye-tube might be a great option as it's very visual and doesn't involve a small prop. If you do cars, force low spot cards; they're easier to see. Think of it like this: if I were confused, couldn't really hear, and could barely see, what kind of trick would make me take the effort to applaud. Project your voice to the farthest wall. Not necessarily shouting at them but you need to use your outdoor voice even indoors because a good bit of them may be quite hard of hearing. If you can, ask for those with the worst hearing and vision to be seated forward, nearer to you. That way you can do effects up close that might not work for the guy who's half blind in the back row.

And... treat 'em like people. It's an odd thing to say but those of us with relatively good health tend to think of people in a nursing facility as being somehow different from us. Really they aren't. That old lady in the wheelchair... You might've made a pass at her if you'd been a single guy when she was 21. That old guy in the wheelchair beside her on the oxygen tank, he knew 'er back then and wishes he had after he heard a few stories.

I've volunteered at a few nursing homes and I find that while the people aren't super difficult, you need to sometimes slow it down and really connect with them and it takes a little more work than a twenty-something who is working with full faculties in order. As far as pure warnings go, keep in mind that dexterity is sometimes a major challenge. Asking them to shuffle cards, etc, it's not always going to go so well.

Truly you won't really know "how bad it is" until the show is half over. Just walk into it with enough props handy to do a number of varied effects. If you've got a lot of people with excellent vision, you may do cards and coins. If it's a lot of blind folks, mentalism, etc. Be willing to adjust the plan if you need to, or overhaul it on the fly if you have to.

Sep 13, 2014
I've done some nursing home shows in the past so my two cents are:

- Don't invite them up on stage, go to them. Some struggle with walking or could fall off the stage.

- The endless salt trick seemed to be a hit, the wand to fake flower gag got smiles.

- I had background music from their era.

- No loud noises!

- Ask the nurses about the spectators to get a better idea of what plays well and what they like. Example: One of the gentleman was a former baseball player so I had a baseball appear and gave it to him.

- Not everyone will be engaged and I've had a few fall asleep during the show. Don't feel bad about that.

- Speak loud and clearly.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
True story: I was talking to one of the residents while setting up for a nursing home show.

Her: That's a lot of stuff you got there, how do you keep track of it all?
Me: I usually forget something when I do a show. I'm checking that I have everything I need.
Her: Is it all there?
Me: I think the only thing I forgot was to put on my belt.
Her: That's not too bad
Me: Unless my pants fall down in the middle of the show.
Her: That would make it a lot more interesting.

Begin with asking if any of them have ever seen a magician or a magic show before. I had one woman who saw Harry Blackstone when she was younger. I have a love for classic magic and classic magicians, so I do talk about that before I begin my show... Thurston, Keller, Blackstone. Sometimes the long term memory is still there despite the short term memory failing. Some memories, like a first date or a first kiss as so ingrained they persist despite everything else fading. Tell stories. Smile. Compliment them.

If you need to select someone to help, ask the staff to select them. "I need someone who can come up here and pick a card. Can you pick someone to help me?" For any effects where you have "fun" with the volunteer, pick a staff member (e.g. flight of the paper balls).

Finally, go with what you know. Take your favorite three effects and go with them. You are best when you are doing what you know.

Oct 19, 2015
Brett, what a great opportunity....for them and you!
Man lots of good comments and ideas here. Over the last 20 years my wife and I have spent many hours in care centers, resident assisted living set ups, nursing homes, etc.. Our parents, over the last 20 year spent time, prior to passing away, in these facilities, the last to go was my Father in law, in passed away on 11/1/16 at the age of 100! We were caretakers for them. From those many hours spent with our parents and their friends, the comments above are spot on! Fear not, these folks and their generation are always good audiences and will truly appreciate what you offer....relax and have fun they will love you....even those who doze off! One trick I would use are your rope tricks, very visible and really are AMAZING!

First off, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing this Brett! It's always exciting when you are expanding your performing range and trying out new territories.

If you had more time, I would suggest doing a newspaper tear and restore. Perhaps even doing it as an opener. Just imagine grabbing a seemingly random lying newspaper that you planted earlier and then performing a "miracle" with it. It would be great because it would be something that would play big, connect with something they understand, and seemingly be unplanned to them. Blake Vogt did an excellent multi-phase routine of this at a talent show at Purdue. I'm a shill for Paul Harris products so of course I'm going to recommend The Examiner.

Other ideas go along the same theme of connecting presentations to something they can relate too. Money, particularly with bills (coins might be harder for them to see), would be good here. Play Money by Nick Diffate, Cinch by Shaun Robinson, or maybe even Prophet by Tom Isaacson would be good here. Rope tricks like Professor's Nightmare play well here as someone else mentioned. Another good idea that someone mentioned would be the endless salt/sugar pour. Scott Alexander has a great take on the Fred Kaps presentation on his third holiday lecture with penguin.

Unfortunately time is your biggest enemy since it's showtime in two days. If you aren't familiar with any of the effects I just listed, don't do them. As RealityOne suggested, just go with the material that you feel must comfortable performing. I would say 3-5 effects of your best material should do well for a set. Sometimes I might even do six if I'm feeling really good but for right now stick to what you know and that seems to be self-working card effects. If you can get a spectator to sign a card and then do an ACR that would look really nice! Or if you could get them to sign any card at all would be good. My reasoning for that is if you have them sign the card, before you give it back to them sign it "To: (their name) From: Brett Hurley". This makes it more personal and they may hang onto it and keep it in their room. It will give them a nice memory to hang onto, almost like giving someone a thinking of you type of card.

If you would like to rehearse over Skype, I may have some extra time tonight and tomorrow to work with you if you want. Just drop me a PM. I would be more than happy to help.

Also for the love of Houdini.....don't do 20th century bra trick! :D

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ha, old people are fun! You will enjoy it. @Maverick85 makes a great point that I will second - connect with them. Listening to them, asking questions, letting them tell their stories. They have lived a life and love to feel important. Don't be in a rush, but spend the time before and after to really connect with some of them. That will make your magic that much more meaningful.

I haven't performed for a group specifically with memory challenges, but I would try to do quite a bit of visual moments. If you need them to remember anything, you might write it on a white board for all to see.

You're amazing. You're going to kill it.

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
I will point out something I neglected to mention in my post, something I needed to point out.

I did list a lot of stuff to watch out for but I didn't mention something else that you don't have to watch for: heckling/upstaging. You really don't have to worry about it. You're fortunate because they come from a time when it wasn't "cool" to make the performer look bad. I've had guys my age out and about do all sorts of stuff but I've never had anybody over 50 do anything to try and make me look bad. It really is a tailor made audience and they DO appreciate that you could be somewhere on the other side of town making money but instead you're there working free.

Justin gave me a big nod, so I'll give him one right back: the white board idea is one I haven't had, but it's a solid idea if used well.

Go do your best and enjoy the experience. :)

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I tried planning what I wanted to do a couple different ways, then earlier today I decided to scrap it in favor of my daughter as the magician and me as 'the assistant'. And do a show that way. It's 10-12 people at this home, plus the volunteers we are rolling with.

All I have are self-working tricks. Tenyo Magic, specifically. Most of the inventory I'm bringing I'm well versed in. I'm bringing two (Zone Infinity and UltraSlice) that I haven't performed for friends or family before.

It's at 8:30 in the morning. Right now, I'm waiting for the meds to kick in and sleep, otherwise the insomnia kicks in and Tyler Durden takes over.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I tried planning what I wanted to do a couple different ways, then earlier today I decided to scrap it in favor of my daughter as the magician and me as 'the assistant'. And do a show that way. It's 10-12 people at this home, plus the volunteers we are rolling with.

All I have are self-working tricks. Tenyo Magic, specifically. Most of the inventory I'm bringing I'm well versed in. I'm bringing two (Zone Infinity and UltraSlice) that I haven't performed for friends or family before.

It's at 8:30 in the morning. Right now, I'm waiting for the meds to kick in and sleep, otherwise the insomnia kicks in and Tyler Durden takes over.
Sounds like a cool idea! Be sure to keep us informed on how it goes.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Sounds like a cool idea! Be sure to keep us informed on how it goes.

For sure! I haven't done anything like this, nor did I anticipate to do anything like this for at least a year.

I don't feel the most prepared for this one. So I'm not sure what to expect out of all of it.

The writeup will probably be in the late afternoon. We'll be doing errands after this event is over, then going to the children's hospital and dropping off 90 limited edition Hot Wheels cars. I don't think we have anything after that, but will also depend on how fast I can type this out versus how fast the twins get bored and go after each other.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Got some time to sit down.

I did not think I did all right. Part of the problem was that I have all close-up stuff and the 5 seniors in the leisure room were kind of everywhere. To be fair, the way the room was, there wasn't a good way to get everyone up front without having to overhaul the room.

I did the 4 most 'visual from a distance' tricks I could. I couldn't remember ANYTHING I had to say (according to my wife, I didn't project my voice very well).

At the very least, I didn't flash or fumble with anything. So there's that.

I'd do it again. However, Is be more inclined to have bigger props to work with in the future. That and more time. And experience.

Got some time to sit down.

I did not think I did all right. Part of the problem was that I have all close-up stuff and the 5 seniors in the leisure room were kind of everywhere. To be fair, the way the room was, there wasn't a good way to get everyone up front without having to overhaul the room.

I did the 4 most 'visual from a distance' tricks I could. I couldn't remember ANYTHING I had to say (according to my wife, I didn't project my voice very well).

At the very least, I didn't flash or fumble with anything. So there's that.

I'd do it again. However, Is be more inclined to have bigger props to work with in the future. That and more time. And experience.
You got this Brett! Don't give up! :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results