Christmas Pick-Ups!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys!

I've found that over the past few years I rarely ever buy new magic to practice or add to my current repertoire. Because I already own a bunch of material, I won't go out and get a book or download/DVD unless I know I will actively use it or read it for inspiration. The most recent non-theory11 magic related item I purchased before the holiday season was "This Is Not A Box" by Benjamin Earl, and that was after years of not buying anything. However, this Christmas, I decided to treat myself and pick up 3 books I've had on my radar:

Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz
Hidden Agenda by Roberto Giobbi
Blomberg Laboratories by Tomas Blomberg & Andi Gladwin

With that said, what were the magic or cardistry related items you received/bought this holiday season? Really interested to see the material you guys are actively wanting to learn and use!

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Most recent purchases have been Nest of Wallets, Perpetual Puzzle from Tenyo, Ripcord OSYN and PING from Ellusionist, Ring Flight Revolution, Aberdeen Thread, Svenpads, Sheer Luck, and lots of other stuff. And I use it all frequently. I just progressed my performance by a lot. Just took me a whole to think and then I had a brain blast.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I tend to do all my magic book buying at the end the year. This year, I've picked up:

The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi by Stephen Minch
Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingsworth
Approaching Magic by David Regal
Blomberg Laboratories by Tomas Blomberg & Andi Gladwin
Mentalissimo by John Bannon
Handsome Jack by John Lovick
The Secrets of So Sato by Richard Kaufman and So Sato
Stand-up Card Magic by Roberto Giobbi
52 Memories - Retrospective Edition by Andi Gladwin and Jack Parker
The Magic of Ascanio - Volume 2 Studies of Card Magic
The Magic of Ascanoi - Volume 3 More Studies of Card Magic
The Magic of Ascanio - Volume 4 Knives and Color Blindness​

I also picked up a green, orange, fuchsia and turquoise backed bicycles to use for some of Bannon's material in High Caliber (one of last year's purchases).

Dec 30, 2014
Cube3 by Steven Brundage
Modern coin magic
Expert card technique
Rainbow Cascade by Terri Rodgers
Sponge ball kit
Deck of Bicycle black tigers

Reactions: CaseyRudd
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I've certainly got plenty of material to work on! :D
I picked up Nut Waltz, Silent Treatment, Houdini's Influence, Nest of Wallets, Ping and Odyssey. Also got me a stack of six 1964 Kennedy halves.

As if that isn't enough material to process... I managed to win Murphys 8th day of Christmas and got LAP. I've gotta say, I'm extra pumped about this one! lol

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Most recent purchases have been Nest of Wallets, Perpetual Puzzle from Tenyo, Ripcord OSYN and PING from Ellusionist, Ring Flight Revolution, Aberdeen Thread, Svenpads, Sheer Luck, and lots of other stuff. And I use it all frequently. I just progressed my performance by a lot. Just took me a whole to think and then I had a brain blast.

I'm not sure how I hadn't seen ring flight revolution but your post made me look it up last night. I ended up canceling my order for Nest of Wallets and placing an order for RFR it may or may not have been a drunk impulse purchase but I'm excited for it lol

Reactions: ProAma
Jul 14, 2016
There have been a few items I've had my eye on but I'm hoping on picking up the quantum bender 3.0 very soon. Been saving up so very excited. Also bought nest of wallets very excited for this as well.

Reactions: ProAma and notsoltd
Jul 14, 2016
Have you played around with ripcord yet? How practical is it really.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I am selling my Dan & Dave Close-Up Surface so that I can get some more books to add to my shelf(Christmas Pickups):

Complete Roy Walton Vol 3. $80
Paul Harris Art of Astonishment. 1-3 $135
Drawing Room Deceptions. $45
New Era Card Tricks Roterberg. $15

So if anyone has all these items and wants to trade for a nice new Close-up surface let me know.
Otherwise I will just go ahead a sell it for the money and buy these books.

Reactions: RealityOne

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Have you played around with ripcord yet? How practical is it really.
The only part I use from Ripcord is the penetration of the headphone jack. Other than that the rest either isn't practical or the handling/ effect isn't worth doing. There are better things.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The only part I use from Ripcord is the penetration of the headphone jack. Other than that the rest either isn't practical or the handling/ effect isn't worth doing. There are better things.

I was looking at it too and decided against it - I'm glad I did now. This makes the $40 price tag seem kind of steep too. Are the included gimmicks worth it?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
They don't even include all the gimmicks. The only good part is the penetration.

Geez, I feel like they're charging WAY too much for stuff lately. I was super disappointed that OSYN cost $40, it definitely isn't worth that. ESPECIALLY considering that half the advertised trick relies on Daniel Madison's Advocate. I never liked The Advocate and I kinda felt swindled when I realized they just resold it to me...

Jul 14, 2016
Geez, I feel like they're charging WAY too much for stuff lately. I was super disappointed that OSYN cost $40, it definitely isn't worth that. ESPECIALLY considering that half the advertised trick relies on Daniel Madison's Advocate. I never liked The Advocate and I kinda felt swindled when I realized they just resold it to me...
Wow good thing I didn't get any of those items. They just didn't seem worth it for the price same with most of their products. Only thing I really enjoy are the Daniel Madison line of cards and the new knights.

Man I'm glad you mentioned that because I was tempted to buy it because I know where it would fit perfectly in my act. I already have Anthology and I haven't taken the chance to try it out in front of people yet. I think I will hold off on OSYN until the price comes down. I'm a fan of Mark Calabrese but my budget has to be focused on my show for right now.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Man I'm glad you mentioned that because I was tempted to buy it because I know where it would fit perfectly in my act. I already have Anthology and I haven't taken the chance to try it out in front of people yet. I think I will hold off on OSYN until the price comes down. I'm a fan of Mark Calabrese but my budget has to be focused on my show for right now.
Its not worth $40. It is worth peoples attention though. It really is the only switch you need.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results