What is the name of this trick?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The plot is generally known as "The Stranger Card" where the card the spectator selects is an odd-backed card in the deck. The effect here relies on returning the selected card to a set position in the deck followed by the sleight described in Royal Road to Card Magic on page 141. Although there is a free selection, that method is not as good as other methods for reasons that would be apparant apparant after the reveal. An easy way to overcome that particular problem it is to use the technique described on page 193 of Royal Road or in Mark Wilson's Complete Course on page 52. My preference is to use the technique on page 208 of Royal Road placing the selected card second below the break along with the sleight on page 141 prior to signature. My favorite variation of this routine is taught on the DVD Army of 52. There is a great discussion of various methods and plots in Expert Card Technique, beginning on page 367 and going through page 382.

The plot is generally known as "The Stranger Card" where the card the spectator selects is an odd-backed card in the deck. The effect here relies on returning the selected card to a set position in the deck followed by the sleight described in Royal Road to Card Magic on page 141. Although there is a free selection, that method is not as good as other methods for reasons that would be apparant apparant after the reveal. An easy way to overcome that particular problem it is to use the technique described on page 193 of Royal Road or in Mark Wilson's Complete Course on page 52. My preference is to use the technique on page 208 of Royal Road placing the selected card second below the break along with the sleight on page 141 prior to signature. My favorite variation of this routine is taught on the DVD Army of 52. There is a great discussion of various methods and plots in Expert Card Technique, beginning on page 367 and going through page 382.
RealityOne you are a walking encyclopedia just like Josh Burch! In all seriousness though, I envy your book collection. I hope to build mine up like you have. Right now I'm collecting some obscure books from Percy Abbot and Harry Blackstone but their not cheap!

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
Thank you sir :) im actually reading the royal road to card magic. But im not on that page/chapter yet :)

Reactions: faizpardesi

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
RealityOne you are a walking encyclopedia just like Josh Burch! In all seriousness though, I envy your book collection. I hope to build mine up like you have. Right now I'm collecting some obscure books from Percy Abbot and Harry Blackstone but their not cheap!

I try to be helpful. What I found ineresting is that you can use the sleights taught in Royal Road to come up with three methods of doing a Stranger Card routine. Although you could do the first method with one odd-backed regular card, I think using a R/B double backer could add a nice finish by taking the selected card and placing it face up into the deck and then changing the card back to a red card.

I think my library is getting close to 200 books -- picking up another 10 more for Christmas. I've only purchased one out of print book for a premium (Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Magic but that was a deal for only $980). Most of the stuff is in print or being resold for a price near retail.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca

Can I just say how much I appreciate this answer. Talk about teaching a man to fish. Love it. You rock.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results