What are your opener effects?

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I do a routine using a couple $2 Canadian coins and a magnet. Very visual, very magical, gets people to go "okay, maybe this guy's got some skill". I always default to where I'm comfortable in card work, but that one little coin effect gets people to really give my stuff a chance. In all truth I've always felt like that's all I really need: a chance.
I will gladly give you a chance if you perform for me :) lol we all need a foot in the door, then you weed out some, then maybe just maybe we will flourish.

Reactions: Maverick85
Jun 13, 2013
I love doing Two Card Monte and Here Then There. I stay away from big bill changes because bad things could happen and its not like you can give away the money. if I were you I would go check out Patrick Kun's new effect called Breach on penguin magic.

Ha! You assume that I'm wealthy enough to change ones into hundreds? I splurge on magic and books too much. Instead of hundreds I just use fives. I honestly think that it's just as effective. I still think that hundreds actually distract from the effect too much. That is, after the effect is done, people obsess over the hundreds and not the effect. But that's just my opinion.

BTW, I will definitely check out that effect. I own a lot of Patrick Kun's material.

Reactions: ProAma
Jan 2, 2017
I have a friend who's a midget. He works with me sometimes when I'm short on acts. Every little bit helps.

Not to belittle him, or be short sided, but everyone loves midgets. Just having him there always doubles and even triples my tips by the end of the night.

We do a coin trick with a pair of knee highs, a candle, and a small shot of whiskey that kills. I treat him as my equal, and never look down on him.

We're working on a trick where I stuff him in small a box, he then vanishes and reappears in a picnic cooler across the room.

I'll try to find a video but I'm short on time now. I'll be back in a little bit.

Good Luck!

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
I think its best to work with "Non-card" tricks as openers
I feel like its sort of goofy to walk up to someone with a deck of cards, if you start with something like Odyssey or a coin vanish it feels more organic and smooth.
Once you've decided if they're interested, you can move into some card tricks

Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
Colour change. I always open with a colour change. They would most often go, "oh! Hmmm..." Then I dive into a random act depending on how I feel that day.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I think its best to work with "Non-card" tricks as openers
I feel like its sort of goofy to walk up to someone with a deck of cards, if you start with something like Odyssey or a coin vanish it feels more organic and smooth.
Once you've decided if they're interested, you can move into some card tricks
You are extremely correct.

Reactions: ParkinT
Apr 26, 2016
It depends on the venue for me. Sometimes I start with a Signed Card to Wallet, but a lot of the time I will start with something simple but powerful. I picked up Kostya Kimlat's Warning and it's a great way to start a show if you have an outside venue. It's quick, easy, and extremely powerful.

Jan 14, 2017
The only card opener I agree with doing is back palming. Other than that I strongly disagree with opening with a card trick regardless of how you feel about it. A deck of cards isn't justified until you justify it. You can't expect a spectator to want to watch you if you involve them on the first effect. You basically are saying "you have to do this" even though they have not invited you to giver them your time.
"A deck of cards isn't justified until you justify it."
Wow, I could not have said it better. Absolutely, I agree with you. Especially because everyone (and his brother, sister and all uncles) knows "a card trick" as soon as you pull out a deck of cards - cold - there are perceptible, if not audible, groans.
I believe "Magic" happens when something unexpected occurs and it appears to have been generated (or controlled) by someone with a special ability; the magician.

Dec 5, 2015
It just depends if I have a table or not. If there is a table I open a Four Ace trick. If there's not I open with a sandwich effect or a Jay Sankey inspired ACR.

I've been performing at social gatherings, have always looked for unobtrusive ways to introduce card illusions. As several have already said, few people are really interested in just seeing another card trick. But if you throw a $100 bill on the table, suddenly you have everybody's attention! At that point you can smile big and introduce yourself as Johnny Cardcheat (you choose the name) and "let me be your entertainer for the next few minutes. I'll show you why you don't play cards with a professional gambler!" Depending on your knowledge of card games, you can then have several of them participate in a round of Poker, Blackjack or whatever, and use your card management skills to create winners and losers. Pass out some stacks of $10 bills for them to use for betting (they'll return them afterward). Assign them fake names and nationalities (all in good fun), then harass them as they attempt to win the round. Amazingly they'll think they can win even against a known cheat, I guess they think the cheat will screw up! This has proved to be a good social mixer and a chance for everybody to have some great fun, whether they "win" or "lose" their bet money. Interest really grows if the pot gets big.

I've had people tell me they enjoyed these fake games months afterward.

I've included some pics of recent poker rounds I dealt recently. The fun is obvious. Your "dealer costume" is optional but adds color.

Some notes:
1. One round is not enough. The players will "want another chance" so you need to be prepared to conduct an immediate second round of the game.
2. The easiest card management for me is the bottom deal and the second deal. Use these to feed desired cards to yourself or someone you publicly designate as your shill (adds interest).
3. Use your false shuffle and false cuts to retain stacked cards where you want them. Again, anticipate the second round in your setup.
4. Bend the rules of the game a little to enhance the chances of everyone to "win." In 5-card poker let deuces and jokers be wild. Let each player exchange one or two cards if they wish, deal these out face-up so everyone can see them and listen to the complaints or pleasure of the players.
5. Stay flexible. Anything can happen, including your own screw up. Keep it all in good fun. If someone happens to "beat the cheat" they'll really love it and you can whine and snivel about it to the laughter of everyone!

The point is this: The manipulation of the cards guides the action but is secondary. The participation and enjoyment of everyone in a social-mixing situation is primary. Worthy goals as we pursue the entertainment aspects of card illusions.

Enjoy the pictures. Note the bet money on the table.
Gamblers 3.jpg
Gamblers 6.jpg
Brunie, Money.jpg

Jan 11, 2017
I'm new to magic (one month), so I always open to strangers with a, "Hi, I'm Christian. Sorry to bother you. Would it be alright if I showed you something? I'm new to magic and have never performed before (i'm lying) and I'd love if you'd be my first".

Thats where I follow up with the chicago opener. Because there is a part in the trick where it looks like you messed up, I can say, "Sorry. I told you I'm new to this magic stuff, and sometimes I can mess this up." But the correct card is actually In their hands. It lowers expectation that I'm new, and then wows them a little more.

At the same time I get to practice playing a character, but hopefully I can ditch this new guy routine lol.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
At the same time I get to practice playing a character, but hopefully I can ditch this new guy routine lol.

Smart man.
When you get more experienced feel free to use "I have a show tonight and i'd like to practice some effects on you if thats okay"

Jan 14, 2017
The point is this: The manipulation of the cards guides the action but is secondary. The participation and enjoyment of everyone in a social-mixing situation is primary. Worthy goals as we pursue the entertainment aspects of card illusions.
Well stated. I wholly agree.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I've been performing at social gatherings, have always looked for unobtrusive ways to introduce card illusions. As several have already said, few people are really interested in just seeing another card trick. But if you throw a $100 bill on the table, suddenly you have everybody's attention! At that point you can smile big and introduce yourself as Johnny Cardcheat (you choose the name) and "let me be your entertainer for the next few minutes. I'll show you why you don't play cards with a professional gambler!" Depending on your knowledge of card games, you can then have several of them participate in a round of Poker, Blackjack or whatever, and use your card management skills to create winners and losers. Pass out some stacks of $10 bills for them to use for betting (they'll return them afterward). Assign them fake names and nationalities (all in good fun), then harass them as they attempt to win the round. Amazingly they'll think they can win even against a known cheat, I guess they think the cheat will screw up! This has proved to be a good social mixer and a chance for everybody to have some great fun, whether they "win" or "lose" their bet money. Interest really grows if the pot gets big.

I've had people tell me they enjoyed these fake games months afterward.

I've included some pics of recent poker rounds I dealt recently. The fun is obvious. Your "dealer costume" is optional but adds color.

Some notes:
1. One round is not enough. The players will "want another chance" so you need to be prepared to conduct an immediate second round of the game.
2. The easiest card management for me is the bottom deal and the second deal. Use these to feed desired cards to yourself or someone you publicly designate as your shill (adds interest).
3. Use your false shuffle and false cuts to retain stacked cards where you want them. Again, anticipate the second round in your setup.
4. Bend the rules of the game a little to enhance the chances of everyone to "win." In 5-card poker let deuces and jokers be wild. Let each player exchange one or two cards if they wish, deal these out face-up so everyone can see them and listen to the complaints or pleasure of the players.
5. Stay flexible. Anything can happen, including your own screw up. Keep it all in good fun. If someone happens to "beat the cheat" they'll really love it and you can whine and snivel about it to the laughter of everyone!

Enjoy the pictures. Note the bet money on the table.View attachment 3066 View attachment 3067 View attachment 3068

I completely agree.

Jan 2, 2017
I have a friend who's a midget. He works with me sometimes when I'm short on acts. Every little bit helps.

Not to belittle him, or be short sided, but everyone loves midgets. Just having him there always doubles and even triples my tips by the end of the night.

We do a coin trick with a pair of knee highs, a candle, and a small shot of whiskey that kills. I treat him as my equal, and never look down on him.

We're working on a trick where I stuff him in small a box, he then vanishes and reappears in a picnic cooler across the room.

I'll try to find a video but I'm short on time now. I'll be back in a little bit.

Good Luck!

It's hard to Top a Midget in your act.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results