Presentation Help

Dec 5, 2015
Hi, I've been doing close up card magic for three years. Even though my slight of hand is perfect I still lack in my presentation. When I ask my friends to help me they tend to say my tricks are perfect but I need to work on:

1) Connecting with my audience better
2) My Patter
3) Character( I try to act shy at first and build up my courage as my effects get better and better)

Is there any advice/help you can give me it will really mean a lot.

Reactions: Jackabe_magic
Jan 11, 2017
I'm far from experienced, but I've had my share of performances on strangers now and this is what I've noticed in regards to your list there.

1) Make them feel important. For me since I'm a new magician I open up with the, "...I've never performed in front of someone before. I'd love if you would be my first". It makes them feel important, special and more inclined to give you a chance and get involved.

Obviously this example won't work for you (3 years), but I'm sure you can think of ways to make your audience feel important and involved. Jokes, laughing, eye contact and compliments all help boost a connection with someone outside of magic, so those things should all work the same when you're performing. That leads me into patter.

2) Bullshitting is not a foreign concept. If you've ever written an essay in high school or college, you know how to talk without saying anything, but I find it's easier to actually just compliment people. For example whenever I perform on girls and I have them sandwich a card between their hands for me, I compliment their nails, "Oooo. Damn girl. Your nails are hella pretty. You didn't have to get them done just for me". Or for men, "Dang bro, I said sandwich the cards, not put a herculean vice-grip on it. You work out?"

Yes: "It's paying off, but careful man I think you're making the card even more flat"
No: "Yeah don't, you don't need to. You're too damn strong already"

3) Character. Hopefully more people can explain this to me too, because I'm just myself out there. But I've seen and heard a lot about developing your character.

Dec 24, 2014
Italy
www.instagram.com
It's quite the same for me. I think that the connection you create with the audience makes the magic. You can do whatever trick you want, even the most visual thing possible, but if you want to make them feel "magic", not only surprise, you have to connect with people.
In my short experience I found out that there is no "general" way to connect with people, sometimes it's easier, sometimes not. Telling stories is good, but don't be boring and don't use stories that are obviously created for the pattern you're doing. I mean, start from movies, books or any sort of story that people may already know or that is part of their culture. In order to get in touch with people you have to speak their language. That's why romance writers try to use everyday language: it's by speaking the audience's language that you do most of the work.
The difficult part is to understand the proper language for the situation. On the same level, not everyone likes action movies, thrillers or comedies. Even if you see a movie done by the greatest comedy director in the world but you don't like comedies you'll probably find it boring, that's what I mean. I find exciting, for example, to imagine a "think of a card routine" that connects to the movie "Inception" to reveal the thought. That's just an example.
Btw, if you want to improve your storytelling skills or your character there's one person you should look for: Ollie Mealing. Look for his youtube channel and watch his videos, he is a master in connecting with people.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Syd The Magician

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Link to my eBook on character creation and development in my signature.

My first thought, honestly, is that it's presumptuous to assume you're "perfect" at sleight of hand after only 3 years. But that does mean you're confident in yourself and that's good.

So let's assume you're perfect with sleight of hand. Everything is done at the right moment in the right way. You've now accomplished about 10% of becoming a good performer by my estimate. The physical skills are definitely important, but they are only a small portion of what makes a show entertaining. The rest, I'm afraid, must all come from you.

Audiences do not care to watch someone do sleight of hand. Not really. They want a story. They want you to give them a lead in to an idea ( The premise of the performance), they want you to lead them down the garden path (thinking they know what's happening, building expectation), and they want you to surprise them (The prestige, as it were).

I'm primarily a parlor performer. Smallish audiences with a raised stage and seating are my usual environments. So I can be more expository in my scripting. "I would like to present to you an idea, a premise if you will. 1) Everything is made of energy. 2) Everything is vibrating at certain frequencies. 3) If you learn certain skills you can manipulate those vibrations and that energy to do some incredible things. Put your hands up if you're here with someone you know fairly well."

That's how I introduce my energy transfer routine.

In a close up environment it would be more like, "Do you have an active imagination? Can you imagine that we're all connected by this like ... glowing web of energy? Just imagine that. So if we're all connected like that, then what happens to your friend here, will also, in a way, happen to you. Here, I'll show you."

Develop your character, and then what you need to say to build the premise, build the theater, then give the release will be obvious.

Also - take acting lessons. Seriously.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1) Connecting with my audience better
2) My Patter
3) Character( I try to act shy at first and build up my courage as my effects get better and better)

The place to start is to make sure that your magic is about entertaining your audience as opposed to showing what you can do. The difference in thinking is the difference between "let me show you a trick I can do" and "let me show you something you will really enjoy." It is a state of mind.

To connect with an audience be genuine. We've all seen really bad magicians that come across as fake, just going through the motions doing what they've seen other magicians do.

Care about your audience. Don't be the guy who makes fun of spectators or makes them feel uncomfortable. Be happy that you are sharing magic with them.

Smile and show you are having fun. Fun and excitement are contagious. A genuine smile will make the audience relax and trust you, opening themselves up to astonishment. Just as an audience will react negatively if they sense your tension, they will react positively if they sense you are calm and are having fun.

Patter with card tricks is really tough. Your presentations should be varied so that together they have texture. The variety of presentation can include "you have to see this, it is really cool" presentation where what you say is pretty much what you are doing (for me, this is Bannon's Six Impossible Things or a matrix routine or Vanni Bossi's Card to Glass). The presentation can be a story (my Wildcard routine explains how I met my wife, my ambitious card routine is about a girl seeing Archduke Ferdinand before he was assasinated, my performance of Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson is about what I learned from a card shark). Including effects that the spectator does can explore fun concepts (my Out-of-this-World routine is about feminine intuition and my performance of Election by Eric Ross is a compatability test for a couple and my performance of Steinmeyer's Magician Who Fools Himself is about a magician who wouldn't share his secret). Be careful of overtired ruses like "magician in trouble" -- often they don't fool anyone and make the audience feel suckered (the one time I use that ruse that is for Billy McComb's McCombical Deck because the audience is "in" on the method and has no clue how I could have screwed up.) Be careful to not try too hard with the presentation. I've heard too many ambitious card routines where the magicians ask the spectator to think of their selected card as a friend or relative that is important to them. I find that sort of demeaning to equate a person with a card. Also, meaning should be subtle. Too often people fail at providing meaning because they try too hard. Rather than doing an ambitious card routine with the 2 of Hearts talking about how true love always comes back go you (not subtle at all - essentially telling them the meaning you want them to remember), do the routine telling a story about how you (or your parents if you aren't married or a real or imaginary friend) met their spouse -- their paths crossing several times before they decided to start dating (this shows rather than tells the story). With stories and presentations, the real test is whether the presentation is interesting without the trick. If it isn't, it is just baggage.

To develop interesting stories and presentations, read. Read the news, not the headlines but the human interest stories. I remember a story about a stray dog who befriended an airline stewardess and showed up at her hotel everytime she was in town and the stewardess ended up adopting the dog and starting a program for other stray dogs. Perfect presentation for an ambitious card. A great place to find these types of stories and great jokes is Reader's Digest. If you like a scientific presentation, read articles on psychology and science from Discover or Smithsonian. Become an interesting person and your presentation will be interesting.

As a final thought, pay attention to what people typically talk about and not how many times someone talks about something they did, saw or read. You will notice that our lives are filled with stories... just like our magic should be.

Firstly, continue asking these kinds of questions about your magic. The answers to them will ultimately make you a better magician who is more well-rounded than those who are focused solely on technique. That said, I can assure you, with much confidence, that you are probably not yet perfect with your technique. I don't mean for this to discourage you, rather, to pose as an introduction to an argument of mine that I believe you'll find intriguing.

In weighing technique against presentation, I believe, they are equal as opposed to the idea that the presentation weighs more than the technique. If I were to change one card into another by means of a double turnover, and have controlled it with an overhand shuffle, all of the presentation in the world wouldn't hide bad technique. Although we'd still have an effect, it wouldn't be at its full potential. We must have passable technique to compliment my presentation. Now, the same thing goes should I have flawless technique with a presentation that is less than. In the latter I still have the effect of a color change, but the effect isn't as strong because my presentation didn't set up the effect as effectively as it could have. With this idea of balance in mind, I pose to you that decent technique, technique that is efficiently done, combined with a strong presentation creates strong magic. Yet, and I know this seems trivial, perfect technique, technique with the "Vernon Touch," combined with strong presentation creates stronger magic. Dare I say miracles? All of that is to say, don't stop working on your technique. Your magic will still improve as your technique does.

Having just stated that presentation is suppose to compliment the technique, and vise versa, I will note that I'm referring to the "sub-genres" of presentation. For example: the specific placement of props to facilitate in-transit actions, or using eye-contact to change the framework during a particular sleight. However, your question singles out the sub-genre of "Connection." Unless our audience is made up of magicians, they will never connect with our magic. We connect with our magic, and we also connect with our audience. In other words, we connect with our audience and then, through us, our audience is connected with our magic. If the audience wanted a direct connection with magic they would become magicians themselves. That is not to say that they don't appreciate good magic, they do, but magic is something to share with our audience, not to give to our audience. For us to make this distinction we must first personably connect, through our character, with our audience.

Our character is someone who we have to live with in a way since it is a representation of us. Though it may exaggerate certain aspects about ourselves, I believe that the main point is that we remain relatively true to our natural self. This, at the least, makes the transition into our magic easier. Personally, magic is a lifestyle for me. Therefore, my character is as close to my natural self as possible! In turn, it's extremely easy for me to turn a conversation into a short close-up routine. But first, I need to connect myself with the audience. This kind of connection in close-up magic is merely building the social skills, and then leading them into an interest in magic. So how do we build interest? One word - Patter.

If we use "Patter" without magic, we are telling a story. No, there is no trick happening in the moment, but we can use the story we tell to gain interest and help build a stronger rapport with our audience. Try using patter before performing any magic. Use it to have the audience to start investing in you and your character. Once they start to care about you they will also, in turn, care for your magic. Write out these stories and then practice leading into a magic trick from the story. Now, here's where everything gets ties together . . . Your character comes from you, your stories come from your character, and you magic comes from your stories and the narratives that you tell.

In short, develop your natural self, and you will naturally develop your character. In developing your character, you will find stories that connect with your audience and build interest in your character. These stories can then act as an outline to your magic by giving it somewhat of a structure/ context. All of which aid in your presentation. To be honest, this is not the only formula for improving your presentation, but it most certainly is a good place to start.

P.S. After re-reading what I've just written I hesitate to post this since I'm not certain if I've answered your question, let alone made any sense. So please forgive anything that doesn't make sense and know that I sincerely hope you can take something useful away from this writing that borders on the sanity of sleep deprivation. Respectful apologies,
Cameron J. Braxton

Dec 5, 2015
Firstly, continue asking these kinds of questions about your magic. The answers to them will ultimately make you a better magician who is more well-rounded than those who are focused solely on technique. That said, I can assure you, with much confidence, that you are probably not yet perfect with your technique. I don't mean for this to discourage you, rather, to pose as an introduction to an argument of mine that I believe you'll find intriguing.

In weighing technique against presentation, I believe, they are equal as opposed to the idea that the presentation weighs more than the technique. If I were to change one card into another by means of a double turnover, and have controlled it with an overhand shuffle, all of the presentation in the world wouldn't hide bad technique. Although we'd still have an effect, it wouldn't be at its full potential. We must have passable technique to compliment my presentation. Now, the same thing goes should I have flawless technique with a presentation that is less than. In the latter I still have the effect of a color change, but the effect isn't as strong because my presentation didn't set up the effect as effectively as it could have. With this idea of balance in mind, I pose to you that decent technique, technique that is efficiently done, combined with a strong presentation creates strong magic. Yet, and I know this seems trivial, perfect technique, technique with the "Vernon Touch," combined with strong presentation creates stronger magic. Dare I say miracles? All of that is to say, don't stop working on your technique. Your magic will still improve as your technique does.

Having just stated that presentation is suppose to compliment the technique, and vise versa, I will note that I'm referring to the "sub-genres" of presentation. For example: the specific placement of props to facilitate in-transit actions, or using eye-contact to change the framework during a particular sleight. However, your question singles out the sub-genre of "Connection." Unless our audience is made up of magicians, they will never connect with our magic. We connect with our magic, and we also connect with our audience. In other words, we connect with our audience and then, through us, our audience is connected with our magic. If the audience wanted a direct connection with magic they would become magicians themselves. That is not to say that they don't appreciate good magic, they do, but magic is something to share with our audience, not to give to our audience. For us to make this distinction we must first personably connect, through our character, with our audience.

Our character is someone who we have to live with in a way since it is a representation of us. Though it may exaggerate certain aspects about ourselves, I believe that the main point is that we remain relatively true to our natural self. This, at the least, makes the transition into our magic easier. Personally, magic is a lifestyle for me. Therefore, my character is as close to my natural self as possible! In turn, it's extremely easy for me to turn a conversation into a short close-up routine. But first, I need to connect myself with the audience. This kind of connection in close-up magic is merely building the social skills, and then leading them into an interest in magic. So how do we build interest? One word - Patter.

If we use "Patter" without magic, we are telling a story. No, there is no trick happening in the moment, but we can use the story we tell to gain interest and help build a stronger rapport with our audience. Try using patter before performing any magic. Use it to have the audience to start investing in you and your character. Once they start to care about you they will also, in turn, care for your magic. Write out these stories and then practice leading into a magic trick from the story. Now, here's where everything gets ties together . . . Your character comes from you, your stories come from your character, and you magic comes from your stories and the narratives that you tell.

In short, develop your natural self, and you will naturally develop your character. In developing your character, you will find stories that connect with your audience and build interest in your character. These stories can then act as an outline to your magic by giving it somewhat of a structure/ context. All of which aid in your presentation. To be honest, this is not the only formula for improving your presentation, but it most certainly is a good place to start.

P.S. After re-reading what I've just written I hesitate to post this since I'm not certain if I've answered your question, let alone made any sense. So please forgive anything that doesn't make sense and know that I sincerely hope you can take something useful away from this writing that borders on the sanity of sleep deprivation. Respectful apologies,
Cameron J. Braxton
I fully understand what you were trying to say and reading this is a big help to me, thank you.

Reactions: cameron.j.braxton
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results