Classics of Magic

Jan 14, 2017
In its many forms and variations I always think of "The Arabian Tent Illusion" as an iconic stage effect. Similarly, [what I know as] "Through the Looking Glass" - which has been done numerous times as walking through a wall - represents the typical Magic Miracle.
Regarding close-up magic, the things Dai Vernon has provided us (too numerous to name) all appear as miracles because they take place right under your nose (or even sometimes right in your hands).

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For me I think it's the Zombie. Levitation aside it's graceful and in the right hands an absolute miracle.

Funny you mention the Zombie. Had pulled mine out a couple of weekends ago and was playing it. Watched the L&L Zombie Video (Al Schneider's routine left me cringing and McBride's teaching inspired me) and started watching Jeb Sherril's Zombie Reanimated DVDs. Also, playing with some I'm searching for a presentational hook -- my current thinking is to present it like a crystal ball on a stand. I had a great idea for my son to do it with a Sorcerer's Aprentice theme -- and then I remembered he is now 14 and taller than me.

So, I can't just pick one piece of classic magic, so here is my list:

Egg Bag. I have a custom sized Malini Egg Bag made by Lynetta Welch. It is beautiful. But the routine is what makes it my favorite. The story is about a young French girl named Margaritte who lives with her mother during the German occupation of France in Second World War. When a German Sargent comes to the house demanding eggs, Margarite wishes the eggs to disappear until she finds out why the Sargent is asking for the eggs.

Linking Rings: I have a set of Proline 12 Inch Rings with both a standard key and a locking key. Again, beautiful props. I love the sound they make when they make contact. I'm still working on my routine off of the Levent DVDs and a variety of routines in books.

Cups & Balls: I have RNT Brushed Stainless Steel cups and balls set with one of the cups being gaffed as a chop cup. I love the routines I do with them. The first routines has final loads of a red 3 Ball from a billiard ball set followed by the 4 through 8 balls. I love the double final loads. The second routine uses green olives instead of balls and tells the story of when I was a bartender while in law school because the cups remind me of martini shakers.

And a couple of honorable mentions:

Billiard Balls - I'm still working on mastering them, but I've loved the Wakeling routine ever since I saw it performed by Mark Kalin.

Any Drink Called For - I love this effect and have been looking at various versions from Wakeling's, to Steinmeyer's Hospitality, to Steinmeyer's Accommodating Tea Kettle.

Okito Box - Reading the Vanni Bossi book which has some great moves. Made me pull out my old Okito Box and start playing with it.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I've always found billiard balls to be absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, in my 15+ years practicing magic, I've never gotten my hands on a set. :(

Recently I started learning Mariano Goni's Nut Waltz and I'm completely in love with it. It's got the feel of Slydini's Paper Balls in the Hat.

I don't perform much classical magic, but damnit, Nut Waltz is going to be a new staple of mine. Billiard balls will be there one of these days.

I've also recently become fixed on the idea of performing seated behind a table so I can use lapping.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results