Mental card force help

Jan 20, 2017
Hi, I am Alessandro I'm new on this forum and I've been practicing magic only since September. I would ask, if it's not against the rules, if someone could suggest me a way to force one of 5 less or more cards face up on my hand in a 99% secure way.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So we can't give actual secrets but I can tell you where to find some.

The first would be the PATEO force. It may be better to do this face down but it will work face up as well. It is explained in Joshua Jay's Amazing Book of Magic.

There is a magicians force or equivoque.

The most direct way I could think of is by using a forcing method outlined in Impuzzlebilities by Jim Steinmeyer. I have used this in a few forms to force a card.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I did better than giving you the explanation, I gave you the means to find the explanation for yourself. The best secrets in magic are not floating around the internet for anyone to see, they are well hidden in books.

I'd recommend getting Gravett and Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (the force is on page 30) you can find the book on Amazon HERE for $12. That book has a lot of great effects that use limited sleight of hand. If you want a book that contains advanced sleight of hand, get Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique (the force is on page 271) which you can find on Amazon HERE for $10. Either or both books would be a great addition to your magic.

If you get either of those books, I'd be glad to share my tips on using the force with you. Those tips take a good method and make it great. As you can see, real secrets aren't free, you have to put some effort and investment into your magic before others will put effort and investment into your magic.

Dec 11, 2016
I did better than giving you the explanation, I gave you the means to find the explanation for yourself. The best secrets in magic are not floating around the internet for anyone to see, they are well hidden in books.

I'd recommend getting Gravett and Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (the force is on page 30) you can find the book on Amazon HERE for $12. That book has a lot of great effects that use limited sleight of hand. If you want a book that contains advanced sleight of hand, get Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique (the force is on page 271) which you can find on Amazon HERE for $10. Either or both books would be a great addition to your magic.

If you get either of those books, I'd be glad to share my tips on using the force with you. Those tips take a good method and make it great. As you can see, real secrets aren't free, you have to put some effort and investment into your magic before others will put effort and investment into your magic.

I was going through mental forces today and stumbled on this one in one of my books. Its worked 5/5 times tonight I love it

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm averaging a success rate of 3/5 with this trick. Sometimes they just go for the real obvious choice.

If you stand to one side of the cards, that typically eliminates the two cards closest to you. When laying down the cards, have a slightly larger space on either side of the force card. Start at the two outside cards, then the inside card you don't want them to pick, then the inside card you do want them to pick and then the middle card. As you talk about the cards you don't want them to pick, just gesture with a palm up type gesture in a direction away from them. I tend to say "you might" pick for the ones I don't want and "you could" pick for the one you do. In contrast, with the force card, actually point to it while giving your explanation and then gesture toward them. When you do the final "which card do you want" do a Vanna White gesture across the cards, stopping the gesture over the card you are forcing and pulling your hand back as you say, "you pick." All of this is so subtle that it is imperceptable anyone watching. Magic, NLP, coincidence, hodge podge... call it what you want, but try it and see if it works.

Dec 11, 2016
I do it a little differently. I say my patter about the two obvious choices and the one off color choice. Then I say end cards are also fairly obvious. I point to what I'm saying as I explain, then tell my spectator to try and pick something I won't get, without ruling out obvious choices because it's ultimately their free choice. The only option I don't explain is my force which leads them to think it's the most non obvious choice.

For a reveal I tell them to close their eyes and I place the card facedown on their hand while gathering up the remaining cards. Once it's done I ask them to say their card out loud and then they flip it over in their hand after.

I'm still wrinkling it out my speech with it but it's been working well for me so far.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm always unsure because in the literature it goes through the patter of the obvious choices but then Vernon himself said in Revelations that shouldn't say anything. Saying thone lines does their thinking for them and may sway them in the direction of the obvious cards. BUT if you put something on the line, say a $20 bill, then they really begin to process it thoroughly and inevitably decide upon the force card.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Vernon himself said in Revelations that shouldn't say anything.

I typically don't go through much talking about why you don't want to pick a certain card, but instead mention each card using the verbal and nonverbal cues mentioned above. "You might choose one of the end cards, the [name one end card] or the [name the the other end card]. You might choose the middle card, the Ace of Spades or you can pick the [name the fourth card]. Finally, you might choose the [name second card]. Think about which card you want to pick. Pick one. "

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Jan 20, 2017
If you stand to one side of the cards, that typically eliminates the two cards closest to you. When laying down the cards, have a slightly larger space on either side of the force card. Start at the two outside cards, then the inside card you don't want them to pick, then the inside card you do want them to pick and then the middle card. As you talk about the cards you don't want them to pick, just gesture with a palm up type gesture in a direction away from them. I tend to say "you might" pick for the ones I don't want and "you could" pick for the one you do. In contrast, with the force card, actually point to it while giving your explanation and then gesture toward them. When you do the final "which card do you want" do a Vanna White gesture across the cards, stopping the gesture over the card you are forcing and pulling your hand back as you say, "you pick." All of this is so subtle that it is imperceptable anyone watching. Magic, NLP, coincidence, hodge podge... call it what you want, but try it and see if it works.
Ok, cool, thanks I'll let you know

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results