Book Tests!!

Aug 31, 2007
What're some of your fav book test methods .I will share my method.

spoilers ahead ..

I have a few books and use the magicians choice force using process of elimination to get to the book I want to use . I then pass around my business card and ask four or five different spectators in the audience for any number between 50- 400. Each spectator writes their own number on the business card. After they've all written numbers on the business card,I use one more spectator who didn't write a number , he looks at those five numbers written on the business card by the other spectators ..(the business card I managed to switch and that card being used with the last spectator has five different forced numbers. He looks at a number which is selected
( again one number out of those five are forced using the process of elimantion force ) a page is narrowed down. They are asked to look at the page number and first paragraph. I'm then able to milk it and do whatever kind of revelation I feel fit ;)

I use Word In A Million and a book test that Max Maven teaches in his penguin lecture. Each have their pros and cons. Max Maven's is the most "clean" but it has a possibility of failure as we seen on the live lecture. Word In A Million is good but it has a special requirement. When I combine the two I'm good to go.

Reactions: francismcallister

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
A requirement I have for book tests is that they have to make sense. Most book tests do not make sense.

If a person could read minds, then someone could pick up a book, open it wherever they like, and the performer should be able to tell them what they are seeing.

I only know of one book test (Actually a series of tests) that fit this criteria personally. The group of products is commonly referred to as Dopps.

Aug 31, 2007
A requirement I have for book tests is that they have to make sense. Most book tests do not make sense.

If a person could read minds, then someone could pick up a book, open it wherever they like, and the performer should be able to tell them what they are seeing.

I only know of one book test (Actually a series of tests) that fit this criteria personally. The group of products is commonly referred to as Dopps.

I agree many book tests are confusing and really over complicated, simplicity seems to be the key
I think if presented with good scripting however a book test could be very powerful to an audience .

Reactions: ParkinT

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Nate Kranzo's Diction (using the book Whoogles which Nate Performed with during his lecture)
Rich Ferguson's Tagged
Rachel Colombini's
Steinmeyer's Lesser Dictionary Test (over the phone book test)
Steinmeyer's Two Dictionary Test
Steinmeyer's Three Book Expirment

I perform two book tests. One is Cody Fisher's comedy book test. The other is so good that I refuse to share it openly on a public forum. It's so damn good, and so under represented that I don't want others catching onto it who are not worthy of its power.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Interesting bit of history I learned about the book test, when I was studying the history of seance for a presentation I did last year (And ultimately a book I wrote). The book test as we know it is nothing like what it was originally. Back in the heyday of spiritualist seances, a book test would be an audience member asking a question, and then the medium (doing whatever kind of mediumship they do) giving a response in the form of something like, "Psalms, 2:15" or whatever. Usually it was Bible verses. They would then fetch a Bible and read the part and it would answer their question.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What're some of your fav book test methods .I will share my method.

spoilers ahead ..

I have a few books and use the magicians choice force using process of elimination to get to the book I want to use . I then pass around my business card and ask four or five different spectators in the audience for any number between 50- 400. Each spectator writes their own number on the business card. After they've all written numbers on the business card,I use one more spectator who didn't write a number , he looks at those five numbers written on the business card by the other spectators ..(the business card I managed to switch and that card being used with the last spectator has five different forced numbers. He looks at a number which is selected
( again one number out of those five are forced using the process of elimantion force ) a page is narrowed down. They are asked to look at the page number and first paragraph. I'm then able to milk it and do whatever kind of revelation I feel fit ;)

This is called add a number, be careful. Exposure isn't permitted on the forums.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results