About odyssey and red pill.

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
Am i will be able to perform odyssey without any ring magic experience?

I hope this is not an exposure thread. Just want to ask about red pill by chris ramsay. I am planning to buy it with odyssey. But i have small concern. Do i have to do a deck switch during the performance

If this is an exposure thread. Just dont reply.but i hope someone can answer about the odyssey

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
Odyssey is one of my favourite new effects that fits in perfectly if you're a ring guy.
I'm a ring guy, I love ring tricks.
The problem with odyssey is it uses a gimmicked ring which cannot be inspected and requires a switch. This is fine as both the trick and switch are easy to pull off with little to no ring experience (You will need some practice to make sure your angles are down). However I cannot stress the importance of being able to do a full ring routine (Like Reflex or Devorce) with the ungimmicked ring. People will expect you to "Do it again" once they hand the ring back from examining it.

But to answer your original question: You will be able to perform it without any previous ring experience

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
Odyssey is one of my favourite new effects that fits in perfectly if you're a ring guy.
I'm a ring guy, I love ring tricks.
The problem with odyssey is it uses a gimmicked ring which cannot be inspected and requires a switch. This is fine as both the trick and switch are easy to pull off with little to no ring experience (You will need some practice to make sure your angles are down). However I cannot stress the importance of being able to do a full ring routine (Like Reflex or Devorce) with the ungimmicked ring. People will expect you to "Do it again" once they hand the ring back from examining it.

But to answer your original question: You will be able to perform it without any previous ring experience
Yeah im planning to learn reflex. Im already working on it. Thanks. I will get the odyssey.
What can you say about the ring size? And also the durability of the gimmick.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
Yeah im planning to learn reflex. Im already working on it. Thanks. I will get the odyssey.
What can you say about the ring size? And also the durability of the gimmick.

Without giving too much away *Although i could be less discreet if i PM'd you* the gimmick is not made of metal and contains small parts which can fall out and are relatively difficult to replace. There is also suppose to be this clear coating that makes the gimmick reflective so it better matches the non gimmicked ring (And if i may say i think the ungimmicked ring is gorgeous and is my every day ring even if i dont carry the gimmick).
All of this together means:
The gimmick can be scratched/marked,
lose small pieces (Which is guaranteed to happen, you will eventually need to glue something back into place)
And ive heard the finish may start to come off making it look less like the ungimmicked ring.

You're suppose to just wear the gimmick around but in fear of damaging it i normally keep it in my pocket and switch the two when moving into a performance.

All of that aside, i make it sound like it is fragile but it really isnt, this thing will last if you take care of it and you can always buy new ones at a reduced price.

I just want to make you aware of all the potential things you may need to look out for, im a nitpicker.

As for size, the gimmicked ring will come a size larger, if you order a 10 ring size you will receive an 11 gimmick. For nearly every move you will need to wear the ring on your middle finger, so size yourself around that. If your middle finger is a .5 (for example a 7.5) i recommend getting a size larger. The only issue you may run into is your rings will not really "Fit" and will slide off rather easily, but as long as you arent playing any contact sports with the things i assume you'll be fine.

Also, people hate Justin miller but i honestly feel: Devorce > Reflex

Information overload, i apologise, but whenever i buy a gimmick i think its important to have a rough idea of everything you're going to have to deal with

Reactions: Jackabe_magic

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So with Red Pill you have some hefty sleight of hand to do. It's not selfworking or even that easy to perform. A new gimmick has to be made every time as well. It's one of those weird tricks which are marketed as closers but only makes sense to perform as an opener. So, you can't perform any magic with the deck before you perform with it and you will have a hard time performing anything after.

Reactions: Mem
Dec 24, 2014
Italy
www.instagram.com
I've performed red pill for a year and it's such a good trick. It hits hard and there's a lot of storytelling you can practice with that routine. Btw you have to create a new gimmick everytime if you want to leave them "a souvenir", which I always did. It requires audience management and it's not self working, even if there are ways to perform it in a more simple way (on youtube you can find Ekaterina performing in this "easy" version). People do not forget of this trick

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
I've performed red pill for a year and it's such a good trick. It hits hard and there's a lot of storytelling you can practice with that routine. Btw you have to create a new gimmick everytime if you want to leave them "a souvenir", which I always did. It requires audience management and it's not self working, even if there are ways to perform it in a more simple way (on youtube you can find Ekaterina performing in this "easy" version). People do not forget of this trick
Im not a performer. I just do magic for a hobby. Do you think i should still get it?

Dec 24, 2014
Italy
www.instagram.com
Im not a performer. I just do magic for a hobby. Do you think i should still get it?
Well, red pill is all about performing it. There's for sure something you can learn in it that goes beyond the routine itself and that you can play with not being in a performance, but not that much, in my opinion. Most of what you learn in there revolves around the performance and the subtleties to use in front of people

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

In my opinion it depends on why you are buying it. If I buy it without the intention of performing it then I can't think of a reason why I would buy it. This is a personal thing though. If you are curious to see how it works and want to buy it just for the secret in my experience this usually results in disappointment. But to each their own.

If you are purchasing it to strengthen you knowledge of card magic I think that there are other products that could better serve these means.

For me, Red Pill would be best suited for a one off performance for a powerful client. Unfortunately, it is difficult enough that I would not feel completely comfortable performing it in such a high stress situation. I would go for something else that I have down completely and am sure that a technical failure is less likely to hinder a powerful performance.

Reactions: Mem
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results