5 Steps To Get A Job In Magic

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
This is fun, I'd like to hear what kind of paths everyone took to get to where you are now in magic.

Here's mine:

-Saw Lance Burton on TV at age 6
-First magic book later that year
-Began performing at childrens burthday parties at age 8
-Age 12 I was surprised with a trip to a David Copperfield show changed my outlook on magic
-Age 14 read Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer and learned that there were people who created magic
-Worked at a Snow Cone shack and performed bar magic for fun
-In High School I joined the drama club and got into stage design
-Continued to design special effects and sets for local productions
-Left for a 2 year mission for my church and used magic to break the ice and illustrate gospel principals
-Worked at a call center and began working on hardcore sleight of hand at my desk while I talked
-Joined 3 local magic clubs
-I was one of the first to publish an effect on the Marketplace at Theory11 (It was then called the Wire) and because of this Penguin (Paper Crane before they merged) became interested in one of my routines and decided to publish it
-This experience got me rubbing shoulders with some big names in magic
-I went to school to become a teacher and taught for about 3 years, magic was a big part of my teaching
-I'm now finishing my masters in education and a third degree in computer engineering
-All of this lead to a relationship with Theory11 and Rick Lax
-I now create magic for Rick and am working on improving my stage show

I'd love to hear everyone else's path in magic. What other skills did you gain in life that has helped improve your magic?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think I took a pretty unusual route. When I was about 19/20 years old I was working two full time jobs and picked up "glow sticking" as a way to relax during breaks on my night job. That lead to fire performance (Poi, staff, fire breathing)
I moved to Rhode Island around 2002 and did some fire performances there, but then got recruited to a local circus troupe and spent a couple years performing with them. Poi, juggling, acrobatics, partner acrobatics, hat throwing, etc. Whatever they needed me to learn for the show. I also taught at the circus school.
Then I moved to CA. I kept performing fire shows, while also working at a dairy plant, which was basically 8-10 hours of weight lifting, 4 or 5 days a week.
I got recruited to do ren fair shows for a local belly dance troupe, doing fire breathing and poi.
The girl I was dating at the time went to Mexico for a semester, and I learned a couple card tricks to show her when she got home. I enjoyed the physical skills involved in card magic, and got really into it.
Started posting on the Ellusionist forums, later started posting here.
Broke up with that girl, focused more on magic.
Started doing busking shows at a local farmer's market in Fresno, also joined the Fresno Magic Club.
Eventually became the Club's secretary, and started doing more bizarre/mental material instead of all cards.
Decided to move back to PA because I hated Fresno in general.
A month before I was set to move to PA, I met a girl at a ren fair after a performance. She was also a fire performer. We started talking a lot, ended up dating long distance for about 10 months when I moved.
I kept studying magic and got a few gigs over that time in PA, but decided to move back to CA to be with her.
We started a circus troupe together and performed for about 2.5 years all over Fresno and the surrounding area. Fire, circus arts, magic, etc.
During that time I was working as a bartender at an indian restaurant, and that's also when I started working for Ellusionist. Apparently when they needed a CS rep, Brad floated my name due to my posts on the forums.
Started getting enough hours with E that I could quit bar tending (Which was not a great job, though the owners were very nice), and focused on that job as well as building my reputation in the magic world and hunting for gigs.
Somewhere in there I started studying hypnosis seriously
Ended up moving back to PA with the girl about two and a half years ago, at the time engaged.
Since then she's branched out in her performances to include aerial work, stilt walking, and she's looking at mermaid-ing now.
I have found my niche with bizarre/seance performers and am building my network in that field. Last year I published two books, one widely available through E (link in sig) the other more restricted and I only sell hard copies myself.
This year is set out to be my best yet - I'm signed up to a panel discussion on hypnosis at a convention in Jersey next weekend, a presentation for a graduate class at Drexler the week after, headline an Expo in June, featured performer at a fair in CT in June/July, and more is in the works.

The skills I've learned for magic and performing have been a huge help in regards to effective communication with people in a variety of aspects of my life. Hypnosis teaches a lot of how people think, and knowing that has helped me negotiate contracts and also provide the occasional bit of therapy to certain folks - something I plan to expand upon more later. The confidence I have from being able to get on stage and handle any situation definitely bleeds out to the rest of my life. Oh, and my years of CSR work have really taught me how to get effective service from companies. :D

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
In terms of money and promoting...not that I'm even close to that. What are the thoughts on say wearing a t-shirt of a website to earn extra money. i.e. Nascar cars

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
In terms of money and promoting...not that I'm even close to that. What are the thoughts on say wearing a t-shirt of a website to earn extra money. i.e. Nascar cars

If the job is as simple as wearing a T-shirt than do it, just don't think that you are going to gain any real world skills that can help you out in the long run.

Who is going to pay you to promote their site? I want to do that!

Reactions: ProAma

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Go to college and get a business degree/Economics degree. Thats how you land job in the magic industry. Not some fantasy land "I practice and perform magic so I should get a job". Too many kids and adults think this is how it works. No job is like that. You need actual skills. At the end of the day it is money that talks. Wait till we find the cure for cancer. Doesn't mean jack until it is made affordable.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I make my living in magic and I have no degree other than an AS in business science/Computer Systems. I don't really use any of that in my day-to-day job, and it had nothing to do with my being hired or developing my career in this field.

I think you're dismissing a whole lot of what working in a creative field can mean. Working freelance has no requirements other than selling yourself to your clients.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Go to college and get a business degree/Economics degree. Thats how you land job in the magic industry. Not some fantasy land "I practice and perform magic so I should get a job". Too many kids and adults think this is how it works. No job is like that. You need actual skills. At the end of the day it is money that talks. Wait till we find the cure for cancer. Doesn't mean jack until it is made affordable.

I don't think you need a degree to succeed. I do think that you need to have a realistic view of what you are capable of. If you have any goals you need to see the realistic pathway that it may take to get there.

You are 100% right that many kids put a ton of practice into making their pass invisible with hopes that they will be the next Criss Angel. When you look at Criss's actual career you see that he spent a lot more time selling himself. He spent a lot of time learning the business in the real world. The same could be said of other performers.

If they are doing well in the business and they continue to do well they had to learn that somewhere. You could learn it in college, on the stage or waiting tables. It just has to be learned.

I make my living in magic and I have no degree other than an AS in business science/Computer Systems. I don't really use any of that in my day-to-day job, and it had nothing to do with my being hired or developing my career in this field.

I think that the dedication and perseverance that was required to succeed as a performer is learned by some in college but it could be learned elsewhere. I may be wrong but I think that's what you are getting at.

Did you happen to submit a resume when working at E? Because I feel like, if I was looking for a customer service professional, your schooling seems to be a perfect fit. I wonder if the powers that be at E took that into consideration.

So while you don't use the crap that college threw at you on a day to day basis, I think that the degree could have helped you initially. I'm curious whether you used that degree to your advantage.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I can honestly say my degree had nothing to do with it. I doubt they even knew I had a degree of any sort.

I woke up one morning to my phone ringing. Answered it, it was Adam Wilber, he offered me a job and I took it. The stuff I learned for my degree has helped me somewhat, in that I can figure out technical things quickly and I'm perfectly willing to take on projects and find efficient solutions to problems. Being totally honest, though, I had those skills before I went to any kind of college classes. I was raised to be self sufficient and find solutions on my own.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Being totally honest, though, I had those skills before I went to any kind of college classes. I was raised to be self sufficient and find solutions on my own.

I feel your pain! Like I said, I'm finishing my Master's in Education. Almost without exception, all of my classes are reiterations of the things that I already learned as a teacher.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
To add to my previous post - I can't speak for other companies, but almost everyone at E is the same. They just look for people who are good at doing what they need done, regardless of what pieces of paper are hanging on the wall.

Oct 19, 2015
I do not earn money doing magic, I do it for fun and for my Grandkids and Family. In time I may go to children hospitals and places like that to entertain the kids, but not for money... I think performing magic, professionally is a very honorable career. That's why I follow all of you....

I am retired. I worked in business for 45 years, started full time in a bank as a mail clerk at 20. I went to night school for years, off and on. Eventually got a business degree. Later at 47, I went back to school and got an MBA. Raised 3 kids...my wife has been with me since the beginning!

One of the things I learned through my own experience and by watching many who worked with me or for me, over the years, is that there is an unlimited number of ways to be successful. I believe this is true in anything you do. Those that get out of bed every day and have a passion in what they are doing, will in time be successful. The hard part is recognizing that when you start, you probably won't love what you have to do (like mail clerk)....it took me 16 years to finally get in a job I loved that provided for me and my family. Everything after that was gravy!

So I believe it takes hard work, a willingness to pay any price to make it to where you want to be, and you have to get out of bed every day early and work towards the vision you have. If you stick with it, keep the passion burning, you will find your happiness....and unfortunately few are welling to pay the price of admittance!

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
If the job is as simple as wearing a T-shirt than do it, just don't think that you are going to gain any real world skills that can help you out in the long run.

Who is going to pay you to promote their site? I want to do that!

As I stated I'm no where near able to perform..it was a question for him in regards to some performers selling their "bodies" for advertising. Don't get it twisted.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's true, many do not understand the amount of work that goes into carving a successful career out of nothing - particularly if one is in a creative field like magic (Or any art, really). There's no boss cracking the whip to motivate you, just the bill collectors.

I think that is often the biggest challenge when it comes to having magic as a job. Being motivated to do the business side of it. I know I would rather just be creative all day rather than hunt gigs, hammer out contracts, and so on.

Reactions: Timewise64
This is fun, I'd like to hear what kind of paths everyone took to get to where you are now in magic.

Here's mine:

-Age 12 I was surprised with a trip to a David Copperfield show changed my outlook on magic
-Age 14 read Hiding the Elephant by Jim Steinmeyer and learned that there were people who created magic
-Left for a 2 year mission for my church and used magic to break the ice and illustrate gospel principals
-Worked at a call center and began working on hardcore sleight of hand at my desk while I talked
-I was one of the first to publish an effect on the Marketplace at Theory11 (It was then called the Wire) and because of this Penguin (Paper Crane before they merged) became interested in one of my routines and decided to publish it
-I went to school to become a teacher and taught for about 3 years, magic was a big part of my teaching
-I'm now finishing my masters in education and a third degree in computer engineering

I'd love to hear everyone else's path in magic. What other skills did you gain in life that has helped improve your magic?

That's a really interesting journey. Performing at age 8? Wow. I was building dens and playing rugby. How did you get the confidence to start so young?

Reactions: CWhite

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
My 11 yr old is trying to learn a dealers grip...how the hell did you perform at 8?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
That's a really interesting journey. Performing at age 8? Wow. I was building dens and playing rugby. How did you get the confidence to start so young?

I found a book called My First Magic Book. It showed you how to make all your own props and gave you a script. At the end of the book it broke it all down into a show. That book was my show. I created every prop and performed it basically as is.

I'd recommend it to any beginner especially if you want to do birthday parties.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Magic-Book-Lawerence-Leyton/dp/1564583198

My first show was at my younger brother's birthday party. Word got out and I hit up a bunch of neighbor's birthdays. I was in Boy Scouts and all the local troops asked me to come in. At that point I was just a cute kid doing magic tricks. I was hardly paid for anything, I think I got $20 for one show and was ecstatic.

Last edited:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My 11 yr old is trying to learn a dealers grip...how the hell did you perform at 8?

I grew up playing card games constantly with my family. I could shuffle and deal early on but my show didn't have any technically demanding magic in the start. I performed a nudist deck routine (It was a TV magic deck, bridge sized) and that was about as technical as I got in the beginning. I have a home video of me performing at a birthday party with a back palm and french drop at the age of 10. That's nothing compared to someone like Morris Mueller.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The first guy I really made friends with when I got into magic is a guy named Kyle Elder in Fresno. He started around 8 years old, too. Great guy. He was one of my groomsmen at my wedding.

Highly recommend catching his performance if you're ever in Fresno.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Jan 28, 2017

Here's mine:

Man I wish I had you as a teacher. You sound like you're living out your dreams my friend.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results