Magic and Law

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So this question comes up from time to time "What kind of legal protection do we have in magic?" A few years ago I wrote a paper for a college class. It was a pre-law class.

I decided not to pursue law as a career but I did receive my minor in legal studies. As part of a class I looked into some of the most prominent law suits in magic. I compiled some of the most interesting aspects and put it together in a paper.

This paper is old, the writing isn't the best and all I was able to find was a rough draft without the bibliography. I figured it might be fun to share here despite its flaws.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
That's an enjoyable read. Is the three story playing card thing true?

According to this video just Marlo's stack would be 27 feet high. If a building has short ceilings, like 8 feet each floor, that gives a foot for flooring. So it could be argued that just Marlo's creations would be as tall as a three story building. When we add Vernon's innovations we have even more to work with.

Reactions: David Brooke
Mar 2, 2016
According to this video just Marlo's stack would be 27 feet high. If a building has short ceilings, like 8 feet each floor, that gives a foot for flooring. So it could be argued that just Marlo's creations would be as tall as a three story building. When we add Vernon's innovations we have even more to work with.

That's pretty impressive.

Thanks for posting this dude, really interesting reading!

I'm an accountant and as part of my training we had to do some law modules (mostly contract and tort law) which I found really interesting, so it's nice to see something law related with magic as a basis.

Nice one.

Rev

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Thanks for posting this dude, really interesting reading!

I'm an accountant and as part of my training we had to do some law modules (mostly contract and tort law) which I found really interesting, so it's nice to see something law related with magic as a basis.

Nice one.

Rev

Yeah, I tried to get into it and thought for about a year that I was going to be a lawyer. I came to the realization that it wasn't for me.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Interesting read. There was a good series of articles in Genii in the last year or so on the law written by a intellectual property lawyer relating to magic. That is probably the most detailed discussion of the topic I've seen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results