First gig help

CMT

Jan 12, 2017
Snohomish, WA
So I have an opportunity to perform at a local retirement home. I figured it's an excellent opportunity for a first professional free gig. How long should my set be? Should I prepare for 30 mins of material? An hour? I have the material I just don't know what the standard is.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You should do a show long enough to highlight how good you are, short enough to keep it all to material you're really good at.

If your show has space for fillers, it's too long.

Considering it's your first show, I would advise shorter is probably better.

Oct 19, 2015
Unfortunately (because it is hard to watch how lonely many elderly people are), I have spent a lot of time in Care Centers/ Nursing Homes, not for myself thankfully, but visiting parents and relatives. I also worked as a lab tech when I was young and went into Nursing Homes to take X rays and blood samples, I always took time to talk to the people I worked on, the are rich with life experience and really enjoy talking. But, unfortunately I have not performed magic yet for them, it is on my bucket list.

What I can say from my many times in Nursing homes, is that generally elderly people are very appreciative of anyone that comes into entertain them. They will be a very good audience! Take into account they may not hear well...so speak up and don't talk real fast. Also, they may not see well, so keep as close as possible to perform, don't let them stick you up on some stage....walk around would be great, if you are comfortable. Cardistry would be great, but unless you are real close to the audience, basic card tricks may be to small for them to see... Overall, don't fear this audience, unfortunately most folks in Nursing homes are very LONELY, and really appreciate any form of entertainment....go for it and have fun!

Reactions: CMT

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, the ones that are fully "there" will be very appreciative.

You do want to be sure you know the general mental status of the audience. I have done a show for a retirement home and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. The audience was very nice, but half of them were Alzheimer patients and not all there.

I think classic magic works best - stuff they can watch and enjoy. Interact with them for sure, but maybe don't rely on them remembering things.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Treat them like people. Talk to them ahead of time. I had one woman who saw Blackstone Sr. perform and remembered it like it was yesterday. And then I had one where the conversation before the show went like this:

Her: "Wow, you have a lot of stuff there."
Me: "I know, that is why I check it over, make sure I've got everything and know where it is."
Her: "Must be hard to remember to bring all that stuff."
Me: "It is, I typically forget to bring at least one thing when I do a show."
Her: "What did you forget this time?"
Me: "As far as I know, the only thing I forget was to put a belt on my pants."
Her: "That's not too bad."
Me: "Unless my pants fall down in the middle of the show."
Her: "That would just make it more interesting." :)

Oct 19, 2015
Yes, the ones that are fully "there" will be very appreciative.

You do want to be sure you know the general mental status of the audience. I have done a show for a retirement home and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. The audience was very nice, but half of them were Alzheimer patients and not all there.

I think classic magic works best - stuff they can watch and enjoy. Interact with them for sure, but maybe don't rely on them remembering things.

99% of Alzheimer patients are isolated away from others in the nursing homes, because how upsetting it is for them to be around all the strangers. Therefore, from my experience running into a bunch of elderly with Alzheimer's, at a nursing home/Care Center would be very unlikely, unless that care center is primarily for Alzheimer patients...

Reactions: Frankie The Card
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results