Share your approach lines for inspiration for those starting out.

Dec 7, 2016
It`s the hardest part right? I read on a form last night, here on Theory 11. That we`re not really nervous about performing the magic. As its the approach on what to say is the most never racking of it all. And keep a good connection with your spectator of course. I really agree with this. Are they any lines you say that will inspire us to come up with our own ideas?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It depends on the context of where you are performing and who you are performing for.

"Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" is a great line, but if you say it too often it gets a little unsettling. Walking up to someone wearing a trench coat and sandals and saying "Would you like to see something really special?" most likely will get you arrested. If you have television cameras and a crew following you, you can use David Blaine's monosylabalistic line, "Looook." I've found the best lines for family and friends, "I've just spent hours working on a new card trick, do you want to see it?", followed by "Please, it isn't as annoying as the one I showed you yesterday" after they immediately shout no and start walking away.

In reading that paragraph, you can get a pretty good sense of who I am as a performer. THAT is the goal of an introduction. So, start without the magic. Learn to say hello to people and start a conversation without a deck of cards in your hands. Talk to the folks at the checkout in the grocery store, the folks you see on an elevator, the people that are behind you in a line, the people you sit next to on the train, etc. If you can start a conversation with those folks, make them smile, make them laugh, make them react to you THEN you transition into magic.

A while ago, I was hanging out in a park in New York city with a bunch of other magicians. Two young ladies started to sit down on the bench next to where we were. I think I said something like, "be careful, you are sitting next to a bunch of magicians and if you sit there we are required to ask you if you want to see a card trick." They laughed and smiled and then we did card tricks until the started to slowly back away saying something like, "thanks for the warning, we have to go now...." I'm kidding about the slowly backing away part... it was more like running away. I'm kidding about kidding. They actually were really interested and enjoyed our performances.

One of my favorite jokes is "A magician asked me if I like card tricks. I said no. He then peformed five."

For me, a lot of people know that I do magic and they love my performances. I follow the John Bannon's rule. They have to ask at least twice before I show them something. Since they don't even ask once, I don't get to perform alot. But seriously, with family and friends, I just ask, "do you want to see something [insert adjective like fun, interesting, cool, strange]. If they say yes, I tell them, "unfortunately, all I have is a bunch of card tricks..." and they usually agree to endure several of them.

Jan 14, 2017
It depends on the context of where you are performing and who you are performing for.
ABSOLUTELY. Everything in life hinges on
  • Context
  • Expectations

Talk to the folks at the checkout in the grocery store, the folks you see on an elevator, the people that are behind you in a line,
All my life I have been this sort of person. Lately it is frustrating (unsettling even) that in most of those situations (waiting for your double-espresso skim latte with light whip) everyone else is engaged in their handheld electronic device. You cannot even strike up a friendly conversation with strangers anymore!
I have tried pulling my flip-phone out and staring at it - hoping to get a reaction. When/if I do get a quizzical look I usually state, "I am a time-traveler from the future".

Reactions: RealityOne
Dec 7, 2016

"Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" is a great line, but if you say it too often it gets a little unsettling. Walking up to someone wearing a trench coat and sandals and saying "Would you like to see something really special?" most likely will get you arrested. If you have television cameras and a crew following you, you can use David Blaine's monosylabalistic line, "Looook." I've found the best lines for family and friends, "I've just spent hours working on a new card trick, do you want to see it?", followed by "Please, it isn't as annoying as the one I showed you yesterday" after they immediately shout no and start walking away.

In reading that paragraph, you can get a pretty good sense of who I am as a performer. THAT is the goal of an introduction. So, start without the magic. Learn to say hello to people and start a conversation without a deck of cards in your hands. Talk to the folks at the checkout in the grocery store, the folks you see on an elevator, the people that are behind you in a line, the people you sit next to on the train, etc. If you can start a conversation with those folks, make them smile, make them laugh, make them react to you THEN you transition into magic.

A while ago, I was hanging out in a park in New York city with a bunch of other magicians. Two young ladies started to sit down on the bench next to where we were. I think I said something like, "be careful, you are sitting next to a bunch of magicians and if you sit there we are required to ask you if you want to see a card trick." They laughed and smiled and then we did card tricks until the started to slowly back away saying something like, "thanks for the warning, we have to go now...." I'm kidding about the slowly backing away part... it was more like running away. I'm kidding about kidding. They actually were really interested and enjoyed our performances.

One of my favorite jokes is "A magician asked me if I like card tricks. I said no. He then peformed five."

For me, a lot of people know that I do magic and they love my performances. I follow the John Bannon's rule. They have to ask at least twice before I show them something. Since they don't even ask once, I don't get to perform alot. But seriously, with family and friends, I just ask, "do you want to see something [insert adjective like fun, interesting, cool, strange]. If they say yes, I tell them, "unfortunately, all I have is a bunch of card tricks..." and they usually agree to endure several of them.

Thank you for that insightful view. Approaching someone about "killing my father, prepare to die" made me laugh. But I also was surprised. I never heard that kinda approach before. It`s quite bold. But if done correctly, it would start off a great connection. And the one where you were with your magician friends telling the girls, ïf you sit there, we`re going to have to ask you do you wanna see a magic trick?'made me smile. I like the originality of them. Thanks again.

Reactions: KyleB10

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Those girls were interesting, indeed.

I never do Blaine style guerrilla performances. The only time I have to approach a group cold is when I'm hired for walk around performances and then I just walk up to the nearest person and say, "Hello. My name is Christopher, the hosts have hired me today to provide some unusual experiences to the guests. What's your name?" I then chat with them for a bit, and introduce the subject of my performances, and off we go. The goal of the initial conversation is to continuously drop hints of things the group can ask about, which gives me the opening to begin a routine. All of my walk around material begins as a conversation and is basically just a demonstration of what we're talking about.

Reactions: RealityOne
Dec 7, 2016

I never do Blaine style guerrilla performances. The only time I have to approach a group cold is when I'm hired for walk around performances and then I just walk up to the nearest person and say, "Hello. My name is Christopher, the hosts have hired me today to provide some unusual experiences to the guests. What's your name?" I then chat with them for a bit, and introduce the subject of my performances, and off we go. The goal of the initial conversation is to continuously drop hints of things the group can ask about, which gives me the opening to begin a routine. All of my walk around material begins as a conversation and is basically just a demonstration of what we're talking about.

I like that approach. Get in a deeper conversation before starting. But yet have them know you`re as some kind of entertainer. Wile you`re here I would like advice on what I could say in an example to what you said. "Hello. My name is Christopher, the hosts have hired me today to provide some unusual experiences to the guests. What's your name?" I, myself am completely new to performing to the public. Walk-arounds is my goal. I think if i say something like "Hi. My name is Graham. The host has hired me to entertain everyone tonight. Would you like to see magic?" Does this sound too plain and boaring to you? And since i`m quite new to all of this. I have only learnt card magic. I know my card magic tricks well. But I feel i`m not a proper magician if I can`t do anything else.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Don't worry about being a "proper" magician. There's no consensus on what that even means.

I don't recommend closed questions like that. "Do you want to see some magic?" can be answered three ways: yes, no, maybe. It gives people a chance to say 'no' before you even have a chance to show them that it will be fun. Remember that the common conception of "magician" is generally not kind. However, if you ask an open ended question, such as, "How are you doing this evening?" they have to think about it to answer, and it's more engaging. I ask their name because I'm introducing myself, and it's polite to give them a chance to introduce themselves. Remember, before you do any tricks, have a conversation. Doesn't have to be a long, involved conversation, just introduce yourself and ask about them. Questions like how are you doing tonight? Where are you from? What's that area like? etc.

Make friends with them first, then perform. This will always go better for you. People want their friends to succeed. They will actively help you, and will unconsciously ignore any mistakes because they'd rather you do well if they like you.

Side note - due to my character, I pretty much never say "magic" or "tricks" or anything that an average magician would say. I do not want to be associated with birthday clowns (In Fresno, everyone assumed a 'magician' was basically a clown, due to some of the prolific performers there) or socially awkward teenagers. When asked what I do, I say "Witch Doctor".

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Thank you for that insightful view. Approaching someone about "killing my father, prepare to die" made me laugh. But I also was surprised. I never heard that kinda approach before. It`s quite bold. But if done correctly, it would start off a great connection.

Ummmm. See link the @ParkinT posted below:

Best. Movie. Ever.

Indeed.

I never do Blaine style guerrilla performances.

Next time... busking.... I get the grassy area over by the playground with the kids.

Make friends with them first, then perform. This will always go better for you. People want their friends to succeed. They will actively help you, and will unconsciously ignore any mistakes because they'd rather you do well if they like you.

That is the key.

Reactions: ParkinT
Dec 7, 2016
Don't worry about being a "proper" magician. There's no consensus on what that even means.

I don't recommend closed questions like that. "Do you want to see some magic?" can be answered three ways: yes, no, maybe. It gives people a chance to say 'no' before you even have a chance to show them that it will be fun. Remember that the common conception of "magician" is generally not kind. However, if you ask an open ended question, such as, "How are you doing this evening?" they have to think about it to answer, and it's more engaging. I ask their name because I'm introducing myself, and it's polite to give them a chance to introduce themselves. Remember, before you do any tricks, have a conversation. Doesn't have to be a long, involved conversation, just introduce yourself and ask about them. Questions like how are you doing tonight? Where are you from? What's that area like? etc.

Side note - due to my character, I pretty much never say "magic" or "tricks" or anything that an average magician would say. I do not want to be associated with birthday clowns (In Fresno, everyone assumed a 'magician' was basically a clown, due to some of the prolific performers there) or socially awkward teenagers. When asked what I do, I say "Witch Doctor".

That has me thinking Christopher. I'll take notes from this. The open end questions are great and I would easily over look them. I feel the same as you you don't want to be classed as a typical magician. It kinda falls into the whole, do you want to see a magic "trick" for me. I don't like that word. So as you introduce yourself. Say how are you?, where are you from etc. Do you just come out and say I'm a "witch doctor"? For example. I realise it's not what you will say all the time. But I would love your thoughts on a goood transition to say what you do then to perform.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I perform in an area that is not packed with magicians, so every event, people are genuinely interested and excited to see me perform.

For the first few tables, it's sufficient to start with a simple line. Personally I approach as if I was a manager checking in on how things are going. I say "Good evening! How is everything tonight? (insert short friendly banter based on their response). My name is Justin Morris and I am the magician tonight. Would you like to see something interesting?"

(though I do ask for permission to perform, I've only ever had 2 people say no -most are excited. One table was just two people who were having an important conversation, and another had a lady who was just fearful of magic, because she said she was from the "old country". So I continue to choose to ask permission because of those experiences. I would have hated to barge my way in and start performing when I wasn't welcome to. That combined with the reality that in my area, most people have not seed a magician up close, so it works in my context.)

After about 4 tables, there has been so much commotion, that tables start making eye contact and summoning me over next. So the approach changes because they already know that I am the magician.

I just did another event and I still get butterflies for my first couple of tables.

Reactions: KyleB10

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I use that when introducing myself. Depending on whether they seem conservative or more relaxed and open, I'll either say I'm a witch doctor or a performance artist. If you're an adult speaking to another adult, one of the first questions you're going to get is "So what do you do?" when being introduced. It's just how we are, culturally. This is an opportunity. Most people are used to hearing, "Oh I'm an accountant" or "Construction worker" or whatever. It's very rare to hear "Magician." Or my more esoteric answers.

This will generally pique their curiosity. If you say magician they'll probably ask what your real job is or something like that, because the common image of a magician is, well, a loser. See: Gob from Arrested Development. Big part of why I don't want the word magician to be applied to me at all if possible. But if you say, "Performance artist" they're going to need clarification, because almost no one knows what a performance artist actually is. When I say "Witch Doctor" they are definitely going to ask what that means. That is an open door to any routine I wish to perform. I have "canned" responses for pretty much anything people will say, to give them a brief description of what I do. And I make sure I say it with pride and confidence.

Bit of a side rant: There's a very common thing in magic and that is to buy into, and play up the idea that being a magician should be embarrassing. "Stay in school, kids, or you might have to end up doing this for a living!" "I'm not saying you shouldn't follow your dreams, but you should get better dreams than this." I really don't like that stuff. I perform because I love performing. I did stay in school, and I got a tech degree, and I did some college. I choose to be a performer because that's how I express myself. So when I say I'm a performer, I'm not embarrassed at all and I don't think anyone should be. We provide a vital service to society. Rant over.

The introduction is an "imprint" - it makes you stand out in their mind for future consideration if they need a performer. That is different to approaching a group in a walk around or guerrilla magic (Blaine style street magic) scenario.

For a walk around scenario, I use the "CIQ" approach. "Compliment, Introduction, Question". "You look like a fun group. I'm Christopher, I've been hired to entertain the guests tonight. What's your name?" so on. You're paid to be there, you are providing a service - use that to your advantage, it will give you authority.

If you're doing street magic, Blaine-style, then I would still introduce myself with an "imprint", and it would probably be Witch Doctor or Hypnotist, depending on what I wanted to perform. "You're a what? What's a Witch Doctor!?" "Well, I like to explore esoteric stories and see if I can figure out how they happened. Ever seen a ghost before?" - Then I can proceed to do some seance work. Or, "I like to explore unexplained phenomena, to see if I can explain it. Have you ever had a psychic flash? Like a moment when you thought of someone's name out of the blue, and then phone range and it was them? Check this out, this is kind of the same thing ..." So on, so forth.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
(though I do ask for permission to perform, I've only ever had 2 people say no -most are excited. One table was just two people who were having an important conversation, and another had a lady who was just fearful of magic, because she said she was from the "old country". So I continue to choose to ask permission because of those experiences. I would have hated to barge my way in and start performing when I wasn't welcome to. That combined with the reality that in my area, most people have not seed a magician up close, so it works in my context.)

Two things -

1) Asking to perform definitely helps prevent barging in, I agree. But so does social skill. I think every performer should focus on. It's very easy to see when people are having a serious conversation. If you don't mention things like magic, even a lot of superstitious people don't tend to get upset.

2) Hilarious story (to me). One night in Fresno after a magic club meeting, my friends, girlfriend, and I all went to a Denny's nearby to keep talking magic and hang out. My friend Kyle had just recently gotten a FISM Flash and was having all kinds of fun with it. We sat down and the water was this like, late 20's Hispanic dude. Thick accent. He took our orders and everything, very pleasant, and then Kyle goes, "Hey you want to see something cool? Watch this .. " and picks up a knife and a fork, says something about building up static charge, then touches them together and sets off the Flash, "See!?" The water jumps back (literally) and gasps out loud. Then he says something about that being crazy and walks off to, we assumed, put our orders in. A little bit later a totally different waiter comes by to check on us, top up waters and so on. Ok, cool. Then that same new waiter comes to give us all our food. We asked what happened to the first guy, and new waiter goes, "he's scared of you, he doesn't want to serve the table any more." That's when we noticed the first guy peeking out from the kitchen, watching us. Dude seriously crossed himself and disappeared. Didn't see him again for the rest of the meal.

Reactions: Justin.Morris

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
For a restaurant: Hello, My name is Michael. I am the house entertainment this evening. My job is to go from table to table and help make time fly while you wait for your meal. Would you like to see some magic?

For the street: I will usually do some sort of flourish with my cards to get their attention. 99.9% of the time they will say something to the effect of "Do you know any cool tricks?" Ill usually say "I do! In fact I am a professional magician! Would you like to see some?"

Notice the street approach is more relaxed and laid back while the restaurant spiel is a bit more rehearsed and professional.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
For the street: I will usually do some sort of flourish with my cards to get their attention. 99.9% of the time they will say something to the effect of "Do you know any cool tricks?" Ill usually say "I do! In fact I am a professional magician! Would you like to see some?"

Notice the street approach is more relaxed and laid back while the restaurant spiel is a bit more rehearsed and professional.

If people are doing stuff in real life then normally it isn't desirable to be the one to approach them, more often then not you'll catch them off guard and they probably wont want to talk to you. Flourishing is the way to go for real life performances, REALLY flashy stuff garners a lot of attention. The people who really enjoy magic will be the ones to approach you, and they are often the more fun people to perform to. Even if someone is obviously staring at you and paying attention, just making eye contact with them and saying "Here, let me show you something" is probably enough to start an encounter.

Unless you're making a video i really dont like "Asking" to perform for people

Jan 14, 2017
@ChristopherT Your title "Witch Doctor" caused my wild, pun-infused, mind to think that if you do many transposition effects (with coins and/or cards) you could bill yourself as a "Switch Doctor"!!

Reactions: David Brooke
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results