Best To perform with..

Feb 22, 2017
Hi,

I'm going to perform close up magic for a decent-sized audience in a couple of days and I am going shopping for some cards today, What cards should I buy... (not exclusively theory11).

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Hi,

I'm going to perform close up magic for a decent-sized audience in a couple of days and I am going shopping for some cards today, What cards should I buy... (not exclusively theory11).
Honestly, for a decent sized crowd, use Bicycles.

Unless you're doing close up, the audience isn't really going to see much of the cards you're using (outside of participants). And no one is going to judge you on what cards you're using--unless the design is super weird and/or hard to read.

Keep it simple.

Feb 22, 2017
Honestly, for a decent sized crowd, use Bicycles.

Unless you're doing close up, the audience isn't really going to see much of the cards you're using (outside of participants). And no one is going to judge you on what cards you're using--unless the design is super weird and/or hard to read.

Keep it simple.

Thanks,

But, I will be doing close-up as well as stage performance, so what cards would you suggest?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Thanks,

But, I will be doing close-up as well as stage performance, so what cards would you suggest?

Still, Bicycles.

You don't want to draw any unnecessary attention to the cards you're using.

Like, if you're using a Virts Virtuoso deck, I guarantee that the audience will be burning your hands because they'll be paying attention to the card designs more than they should.

Most everyone who has used a deck of cards have, more often than not, used Bicycles. Something plain and not very fancy will be written off and taken for ace value: a deck of cards. And people will leave it at that.

Jul 14, 2016
Any of David blaines decks. They are my favorite cards of all time. If you have the money get his gold gstorbacks those cards are beautiful or the white lion series.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
My mentor told me this piece of advice when I got my first "custom" deck of cards: "Never use them. You're inviting your audiences to suspect a trick deck when they don't look like an ordinary pack". I have been accused of using a trick deck when I first got my Archangels but not everyone will do this. Funny part of that story is that because they thought it was a trick deck I offered to switch to a standard Bycicle deck and they agreed. They of course had no way of knowing it was a stripper deck!

Nowadays I just use whatever deck I feel like and if I get asked I just hand it to them and tell them it's not the deck that cheats, it's my hands and ex. Still 9 times out of 10 I will use standard Bikes.

Feb 22, 2017
All Right, Will do. Thanks for the advice. I kind of expected some theory11 member to come up and suggest a bunch of his/her favorite theory11 cards, but this was a graet turn of events, and really fast.
My mentor told me this piece of advice when I got my first "custom" deck of cards: "Never use them. You're inviting your audiences to suspect a trick deck when they don't look like an ordinary pack". I have been accused of using a trick deck when I first got my Archangels but not everyone will do this. Funny part of that story is that because they thought it was a trick deck I offered to switch to a standard Bycicle deck and they agreed. They of course had no way of knowing it was a stripper deck!

Nowadays I just use whatever deck I feel like and if I get asked I just hand it to them and tell them it's not the deck that cheats, it's my hands and ex. Still 9 times out of 10 I will use standard Bikes.

All Right, Will do. Thanks for the advice. I kind of expected some theory11 member to come up and suggest a bunch of his/her favourite theory11 cards, but this was a great turn of events, and really fast. Thanks, everyone.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
All Right, Will do. Thanks for the advice. I kind of expected some theory11 member to come up and suggest a bunch of his/her favorite theory11 cards, but this was a graet turn of events, and really fast.

All Right, Will do. Thanks for the advice. I kind of expected some theory11 member to come up and suggest a bunch of his/her favourite theory11 cards, but this was a great turn of events, and really fast. Thanks, everyone.
I sill use fancy decks for my close friends and family and intimate gatherings. My current favorite, the deck I've been using all week are Tycoons. They are a beautiful deck that comes with a double backer and in stack. A wonderful deck that has elegance and feel. Monarchs are the best in feel in my opinion. But by far my two favorite decks are the Richard Turner Gold Standard decks and Theory 11 Maiden backs.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Use whatever deck fits with your performance style. I saw Steve Cohen last week in NYC and he used White Tycoons. Nobody said a thing because they perfectly fit his character. I love using white and black Ghost or Arcane decks for Halloweeen shows. For most of my shows, the card effects are not a significant part of the show, so I just use red and blue Bicycles. If I was doing a close up show, I'd use a deck that reflected the mood of the show. I love the original blue Artifice decks (without the stupid white border) but don't use them too often because I can't replace them. My second choice is the purple Artifice deck. The blue or purple and black match how I dress in both color and elegance.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I love the original blue Artifice decks (without the stupid white border)

So annoyed when they did the border. I still have half a brick of the 1st editions, though.

I have said it before here, and will probably say it again many times: Custom decks are not unusual to the audience. Maybe they were at one point, but not any more. Go to WalMart, Walgreens, CVS, Target, even the liquor store. There's black decks, blue decks, dragons, smurfs, Star Wars, Jack Daniels, skulls, angels, cartoon characters - the Bicycle "standard" deck is no longer the de facto deck shoved in a drawer somewhere. Don't get me wrong, it's still common, but I'm willing to bet the folks at home have something different than a Rider Back.

Like, if you're using a Virts Virtuoso deck, I guarantee that the audience will be burning your hands because they'll be paying attention to the card designs more than they should.

If they're paying more attention to the cards, you need to up your performance game.

I use custom decks exclusively, and not just the "sort of" custom decks either. I took Legacy Shadow Masters to the bar yesterday. I got "Hey those look awesome" and that was it. Shadow Masters suit my style, so it doesn't stand out. Also, the colors really pop in the dimmer lighting so they're actually a pretty good choice.

Here's what you need to consider when picking a deck to perform with: 1) Are the pips clear and easy to read, even if you're not familiar with cards? I once did "Pass at Red" with a Ghost Deck. Oops. The central pips are all black, regardless of suit. The index pips are red and black, but people look at the central pips. So when I did the reveal, it got a big ol', "Uh, ok?" from the audience. Luckily it was a magic club performance so no biggy, lesson learned.

2) Does it suit your style/character? If you're a bright and chipper character, then black decks are going to seem kind of odd for you.

3) Does it fit your budget to wear these out? I get decks for free, because I work for the company that makes them. It's not a big deal for me to wear out a deck that might sell for $12 a pop, because I get them for nothing. Perk of the job. But for someone on a budget, that might not be the case. This is, in my opinion, the best argument for Bicycles - they're cheap but good quality.

I saw Steve Cohen last week in NYC and he used White Tycoons.

Ugh! Jealous. Has he left the Waldorf yet? I know they sold the building.

Reactions: CaseyRudd

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Pristine, are you doing close up magic "on" the stage or you are doing close up and then also some stage work?
I was just curious because if you are doing close up work on stage or using regular size cards on a stage, they will note be seen without the aid of a camera/screen. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

If it were me I'd just buy a brick of bicycles from Costcos or Sam's Club, but that's just my opinion. :)

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I will echo what David and Christopher have mentioned, which is that you should be able to use any deck you please, even a custom deck. I've never understood the notion that people think all decks other than Bicycles are suspicious. Depending on your spectator, it doesn't matter what deck you use. Even if you use a Bicycle deck they might be skeptical. But a lot of this comes down to the performance and not the deck itself. If the performer spends time trying to ensure their audience the deck is normal, the more the audience will think it isn't. A lot of magicians insist on explaining over and over that they're using a "completely ordinary deck of cards", and it causes more unwanted attention. Essentially, it does more harm than good.

Instead of using that time to tell them you're using an ordinary deck of cards, ask them about their day or do a little small talk to make it more than just a quick magic trick. Using this valuable time to engage more with your spectator does way more for the magic experience than putting more focus on your playing cards.

So to sum it up, I use any deck I feel like. Also depends on what my clothing choice is for that day, if it matches what I'm wearing, etc. It's usually a deck of Monarchs, Rarebits, Citizens, NPH Cards, or Tycoons.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
People aren't suspicious of a custom deck. Maybe all of you should be letting them pick a card while holding the deck instead of doing the dumb "pick a card" *holding deck towards spectator face down*

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
People aren't suspicious of a custom deck. Maybe all of you should be letting them pick a card while holding the deck instead of doing the dumb "pick a card" *holding deck towards spectator face down*
People can be suspicious of a custom deck just as they can be suspicious of an ordinary looking pack of Bicycles or Tally-Hos. It always depends on the spectator. I've had people holding the deck in their hands throughout the entire routine and STILL suspect that the deck somehow made it work. Not everyone does this of course because people react differently to magic but it derives from the insatiable human urge to know how something works.

I obviously didn't head my mentors warning because I continue to use custom decks in my performances but I mainly stick to Bikes because they look ordinary, and I couldn't care less if the spectator accidently damages them.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Does it suit your style/character?

Exactly.

But a lot of this comes down to the performance and not the deck itself. If the performer spends time trying to ensure their audience the deck is normal, the more the audience will think it isn't. A lot of magicians insist on explaining over and over that they're using a "completely ordinary deck of cards", and it causes more unwanted attention. Essentially, it does more harm than good.

"Telling" always raises suspicion. "Showing" in context of an effect doesn't.

It isn't that simple. I can essentially hand a spectator a card and have them convinced that they had a free choice of a completely normal deck (something I learned from Dani DaOrtiz). It isn't what you do, it is how you do it.

Act as if you have nothing to hide, even if you do.

Ugh! Jealous. Has he left the Waldorf yet? I know they sold the building.

The show I saw as his tenth to last. I think the last shows are this weekend. He starts up March 1st at a different hotel a block down the street.

Feb 22, 2017
Pristine, are you doing close up magic "on" the stage or you are doing close up and then also some stage work?
I was just curious because if you are doing close up work on stage or using regular size cards on a stage, they will note be seen without the aid of a camera/screen. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

If it were me I'd just buy a brick of bicycles from Costcos or Sam's Club, but that's just my opinion. :)

Thanks, Everybody! I settled with the red Monarchs because the faces are pretty standard, and the back is not too much more suspicious as the rider backs... I also bought the sleepers as a backup deck because the red monarchs do not come with any special cards; the sleepers do. I also bought a card clip just to give the performance a little bit of class. Just for clarification: I am performing close-up magic at a big event to the waiting audience while they set up the stage and everything like that. I have one more question that I will post on a different thread.

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results