Gory parlor magic

Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
I have been working on a set, playing some kids shows and entertaining friends. I have most of what I plan to work on for my first real set. What I want to add is a gory bloody trick or two. I am just trying to find out some suggestions of where to look for this kind of info or just a few illusions.
For those of you about the stage craft. I want to bring a little death metal flavor to my set, without getting too close Chris Angel. Not my cup of tea. Wear mostly black, short beard, clean hair. Sharp lines, don't talk a lot. Trying to get more of a silent movie flavor to it. Not inspired by Teller, but why I like Teller. So lead them through a set of classics, cards, cups and balls, some coin and gimmick work. Relax them, but leave that sense of something is up. Then end with BLOOD. Needle through the arm is not quite enough for what I want. Suggestions appreciated! And no this will not be part of the kids show.

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
I absolutely adore Brian Brushwoods knife trick fail.
It's totally unexpected and you can get VERY creative turning it from a gag into an actual trick. If not you could always do the "real" knife and cups/bags routine

JPS

Dec 21, 2016
Hot damn, exactly why I posted. I do not know Brian, or the knife cups/bags. Already some clues to follow! Thanks!

I assume from what i've seen in the past, people on the forum will probably say Brian is a terrible magician/teacher/con-artist. However like sankey and a few other magicians on youtube, i think there is a lot of value in some of his videos. The knife and bag routine is not his, however i recall him putting out a prank "Fail" video of him "Messing up the trick.

Here is an example of the original concept:

(Since you're edgy i made sure to use criss angel)

And Brian's gag:

Brian's gag surprising isnt nearly as dangerous as its more of a joke than a trick, but in a different environment it can be altered to be a Gorey shocker.

Wayne houchin has a fabulous "Single" needle effect on E (And i assume on T11 and penguin as well) if you're interested.

Please remember both of these things are dangerous.

Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
I checked out the video and realized I had seen a variation with a broken bottle. But I like the idea of accidental fail. I do like the direction it is going. But ultimately something with a finger, hand, or eye getting cut off and blood spurting or even that spike through the tongue with a blood packet.

Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
Now that some ideas are percolating. I have seen various illusions with a harness around the neck and then either knives or needles of some sort being pushed through. Any of you seasoned magicians have suggestions or names of some of these? And a suggested retailer. I prefer not to buy from Amazon.

Mar 2, 2016
'The 80s called, they want their magic book back' has a trick that I believe is inspired by MacBeth. It has a very similar concept at least.

You basically cut your hand with an 'invisible knife' and then as they see the blood dripping down, a knife appears. You could do the speech from MacBeth:
Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I draw.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an instrument I was to use.
Mine eyes are made the fools o' the other senses,
Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
And on thy blade and dudgeongouts of blood.

And I mean, who doesn't love MacBeth? It's the best play ever.
Or maybe you could go for a twist using the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody:
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide. No escape from reality.

Or maybe, you could make it inspired by Buster Keaton with some clever slapstick comedy. Personally, my favourite Buster Keaton quote is:

Reactions: Frizal

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Never trust someone who says the name of The Scottish Play so many times. ;)

You're looking for Geek Magic. The Geek Magician's Cookbook is a good resource for that.

The thing with this kind of stuff, where you have the blood and guts, is that it's very easy to end up with something that's just campy hokum, or just gross. You have to make sure the blood is theatrically relevant and that the show makes sense to end like that. Going through a set of classics like cups and balls and card tricks, then shifting to spurting blood ... why? Make sure you cover that with your scripting.

You mentioned kids ... I'm not sure what you're classifying as kids, but when it comes to blood I say no one under 16 in the audience.

Oh, and Sean Fields, you'll want to check his stuff, too. I can't remember the name of it right now but there was one where he swallowed a coin and then cut it out of his arm.

Reactions: David Brooke

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Sean Fields - Saw Trilogy.
I freaked out my girls with the coin trick...it looks very real.

I was into special effects when I was younger...I have a whole kit of latex, fake blood, prosthetics etc.

Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
So much win in those responses. Thanks you all!
A quick answer to a few questions, why the classics, then followed with bloody ending? Because I am still in the apprentice phase and classics are the place hone the skills. Why end it with bloody, because it won't be expected. Its my personality, and trying zero in on what is my voice as a performer.
I now have a very good idea of the direction I want to go with this. I really want to avoid anything close to say Criss Angel or going in the campy or edgy direction. Thinking, neck, illusion gone wrong, blood packs in the mouth. As thanks, some Dethklok!

Reactions: CWhite

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Sean Fields - Saw Trilogy.
I freaked out my girls with the coin trick...it looks very real.

Sean Fields has a bunch of good shock magic. Andrew Mayne has a collection of Shock magic. My favorite is Harry Anderson's needle through arm.

Reactions: Frizal
Feb 27, 2017
Seattle
A magician I was an assistant for back in college is now a prop maker. We have cooked up a solid illusion based on the ideas you guys started me thinking towards. Someday in the future, I look forward to posting a video of it in action. A new twist on an old classic and there will be blood! Should have the finished illusion in about two months. Then practice time.

Reactions: CWhite
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results