I Messed Up Again...

i just wanted to know what you do if you messed up bigtime. For example i once did stigmata for a couple friends and the wrong card appeared on my arm. To prevent this from happening again i wanted to know what you guys do when you messed up a trick. I hope to get some good answers:D

P.S. whats the funniest thing you messed up on?

i once hit myself in the eye while doing a hotshot cut.( I swear that thing came flying out from nowhere.)

Oct 24, 2007
My mess-up.

I was doing Sinful for a friend of my dads and his whole family. When I opened the can it sliced my thumb open and then I dropped the coin cause it hurt like crap!

Well, to recover, I took a sip of the soda, smiled and said "Thanks." to my volunteer, then I took the coin and vanished it. It was unexpected since my dad told them I could put a coin into an unopened can and instead the coin just disappeared. :p

Tyler

My mess-up.

I was doing Sinful for a friend of my dads and his whole family. When I opened the can it sliced my thumb open and then I dropped the coin cause it hurt like crap!

Well, to recover, I took a sip of the soda, smiled and said "Thanks." to my volunteer, then I took the coin and vanished it. It was unexpected since my dad told them I could put a coin into an unopened can and instead the coin just disappeared. :p

Tyler

nice/weird and good cover-up:eek:, u should of did Factory Sealed after that to make up for it, and ohhh....probluay swicth diffrent cans next time:D

i just wanted to know what you do if you messed up bigtime. For example i once did stigmata for a couple friends and the wrong card appeared on my arm. To prevent this from happening again i wanted to know what you guys do when you messed up a trick. I hope to get some good answers:D

P.S. whats the funniest thing you messed up on?

i once hit myself in the eye while doing a hotshot cut.( I swear that thing came flying out from nowhere.)

one of the funniest thing i messed up was that i made a trick that i take a lighter to a blank paper and scortch an area on it and your card appears in black marks were i scorthed it, well 1 time i did it for my grandpa and instead of scorthing the paper i light the whole thing on FIRE! and to top that it was in the house also...but after i put it out i sayed that the ashes in my hand could tell me the card...and then i told him.....and that was just one of them:D{not alot though...}

another was that when i did long distance spinner behind my back...so when the card came flying it got stooke right in clear as day between the wall an the mini dresser as tall as me:D...so since that weird lucky shoot i took all the right of making it go there.

Dec 10, 2007
I once did the "invisible deck" trick and got the suits messed up. Everyone was wowed for a split second until they realized it was the wrong suit. That was pretty messed up. Everyone was like "WOWwww.....oh" hehe. I was cursing under my breath and just played it off and said the card Gods must have gotten confused. Man, I had the presentation down perfectly and the energy and suspense was increadible.........I went from Hero to Zero in less than 2 seconds. Oh well, live and learn.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Buy the Invisible Deck. It's what I refer to as a "Universal Out". In this instance, for example, you could have asked them waht their card was, and then tell them that that's funny, because that is also the only face down card in your other deck of cards.

Aug 31, 2007
Buy the Invisible Deck. It's what I refer to as a "Universal Out". In this instance, for example, you could have asked them waht their card was, and then tell them that that's funny, because that is also the only face down card in your other deck of cards.
He was already doing the Invisible Deck. ;)

Dec 2, 2007
Once while do collectors i wound up forcing 3 aces and two random cards. Needless to say it wasn't very cool.

In the cerca trova section I already talked about this.. I got burned by a variation of voodoo ash and also by playing around with flash paper (this one was recent..as I type this now I have a huge chem burn in my hand)

In the cerca trova section I already talked about this.. I got burned by a variation of voodoo ash and also by playing around with flash paper (this one was recent..as I type this now I have a huge chem burn in my hand)

ouch that must have hurt. How did your spectators react to that?why didn't you cover it up by make their card appear on ur arm by doing stigmata.you can say that the burn went through your body and made the card appear with blood.:cool:

Oct 16, 2007
Whenever performing stigmata, I really like to have them take a firm grip to my arm as a firm grip produces visible finger imprints from which the card selection will appear. I've had people just kind of place their hand around my arm and while the end result is the same, i'm partial to the "capillaries moving under my arm to form your card" style of revelation- i've found that it's more convincing for one reason or another rather than just having something pop onto your arm. To ensure a firm grip, whenever i get a dead fish grip from a spectator, i say "Oh common, hold it tighter... it's a magic trick, you're not going to break me" Needless to say, during the first few weeks of me learning how this trick was done, I found myself in a position where the guy (about 18 or so) didn't have a nice enough grip to produce the finger marks. I said my little quip and to my surprise (and later dismay) the guy puts my arm in some kind of Vulcan Death Grip. Almost immediately my hand begins to get pins and needles and I realize that before my nailbeds turn blue, i should just reveal the card. He was absolutely blown away with the whole trick and i walked home. Within the hour, i was looking at my arm and noticed that the kid had actually grabbed so tight that he blew a few capillaries and my arm was black and blue where he was holding for a good 2 days. I've since changed my patter...

In regards to having the wrong card appear on your arm, if you watch the dvd, the little patter dispersed throughout the trick serves (for me at least) as a check for the whole operation... (i.e. "Now if i told you that your card was black [they nod] that would be slightly impressive but that's only a 50/50 shot so we'll take it one further. if i told you that your card was a spade [they smile and nod] that would be more impressive but again, that's still just a one in 4. But now i want you to only think of the number of your card, this is hard because i have 13 to pick from" or something along those lines)

Now if when you say that you feel their card being black (and i usually do this "through vibrations" while they're already holding my arm) and you're wrong, well that's when you know that you messed up and you resort to damage control. "Hmmm... I must be a touch off this morning, here, lets try something different" and then you can go into anything (although if you wanted to know what went wrong with the trick/ what card they picked, "Do as I do" is a great way to solve both the fact that you'd like to know what card they picked and the fact that now you have to do some form of magic, you kinda set yourself up as an illusionist/ magician/ cardician/ etc... already)

Again, not to get into any reveals or anything, practicing the 'first step' over and over and over and over again will ensure that you don't have that problem again. I admit I did have this problem once before but it was due to my own ineptitude:

I decided to do an ambitious card routine with a true free selection and never having looked the card that they chose during performance. I figured that towards the end of the "set" i would have them place their card in the middle of the deck, do a Dai Vernon in jog/back jog deal, peak the card and go into stigmata. When I went to form the break (please read Inner Secrets [chapter 2?] by Vernon for the full out explanation), I went did a bottom control rather than the top control that I was thinking of (when you slide cut the deck, depending on how you made the break, this'll happen). So after a more than average ambitious routine (yeah man, i pulled out all the stops), I crashed and burned when a 7<> showed up instead of the spectator selected 5 of clubs.

I'm not one to admit defeat so again, the do as I do saved me (as did the fact that I am a complete magic geek and have 2 decks with me most if not all of the time "just in case"). At the end of the trick, she turned over my 7of diamonds on the top of her deck after shuffling and i 'found' her 5 of clubs so i tied the whole thing back together.

Knowing a nice backwards and forwards repertoire of magic tricks (cards, levitations, what have you) helps a lot with screwups like the aforementioned. When you get comfortable with fundamentals and realize that production is what you make of it, you can save yourself from most "Uh ohs" Hecklers or hand burners are a different story but even still, knowing methods backwards and forwards means you've looked at yourself performing it ad nauseum; from every one of the 190 degrees that your audience could potentially be surrounding you in a mirror etc... If you see someone who is burning your hands, do something that doesn't involve anything that will be seen from where he's standing. Include a heckler into the trick- so far into the trick that he won't foresee what's going to happen next. I think the best thing i've learned however (as everything i've stated so far is kinda standard) is never be forced into performing a trick if you're not mentally prepared to produce one. Don't get forced into doing something slipshot at a nacky angle because it's obviously more impressive to show one trick that can't be explained than 3 that they caught you on in regards to one aspect of the trick or another.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results