Chop Cup and Cups and Balls - Combined!

Oct 19, 2015
I have a set of 'Cups and Balls' and a 'Chop Cup' that match, exactly, at least in appearance. They are copper cups and the balls are red cloth balls. Again they match exactly, in appearance. As I work with these two routines, it became obvious that I can combine theses tricks together and create and unlimited number of different presentations....none of which I have ever seen done...I have started working with this idea, but I wonder if anyone knows of someone who is already doing this? I love to see someone doing a routine like this!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@Timewise64, you have come upon a wonderful discovery. What you are refering to is typically called a "combo" cups & balls set. If they are machined well, you cannot tell the difference between the cups. There are two moves that you can do (a vanish and an appearance) with a combo set that you cannot do with a standard set.

For the standard cups and balls moves, check out Michael Ammar's DVDs or his book which is available as an e-book from L&L.

Reactions: Timewise64
Oct 19, 2015
Reality... thanks, for all the good stuff you provide!

I have a family get together next month and 4 of my Grandkids will be with us. Magic every night from Poppy, so I am working on some of this to hopefully amaze and surprized! Hopefully my 'adult' kids will also be surprized....this 'combo' C & B' will be my opener....followed by my Sponge Ball routine...and I promise I will not 'Point' SMILE!

Reactions: RealityOne

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
In a similar vein to all of this I used to perform the cups and balls at birthday parties as a kid. My routine was created in such a way that I never showed the entire contents of one of the cups. Before the trick started I would shove a large ball up into the cup and lodge it there, then when I needed to produce it I would tap on the cup and it would dislodge.

You can see that this has some similarities to the chop cup and it creates an easy final load for the cups. In my experience, it got great reactions.

Jan 9, 2017
@Timewise64, you have come upon a wonderful discovery. What you are refering to is typically called a "combo" cups & balls set. If they are machined well, you cannot tell the difference between the cups. There are two moves that you can do (a vanish and an appearance) with a combo set that you cannot do with a standard set.

For the standard cups and balls moves, check out Michael Ammar's DVDs or his book which is available as an e-book from L&L.

I bought a combo cup set and it was so poorly made that I felt it was obvious and, therefore unusable. Had I known there was such a dichotomy between a quality vs. non quality set I definitely would have gotten the best. Oh well..........

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I bought a combo cup set and it was so poorly made that I felt it was obvious and, therefore unusable. Had I known there was such a dichotomy between a quality vs. non quality set I definitely would have gotten the best. Oh well..........

I have an inexpensive set. I can tell the difference due to the weight of the cup. With my RNT set, I actually have to test the cups to see which one is the chop cup. Unfortunately, I can't tell the difference between the gimmicked and ungimmicked balls, so it really is a process of trial and error.

Jan 9, 2017
I have an inexpensive set. I can tell the difference due to the weight of the cup. With my RNT set, I actually have to test the cups to see which one is the chop cup. Unfortunately, I can't tell the difference between the gimmicked and ungimmicked balls, so it really is a process of trial and error.

Is the RNT set really that well made? Sounds like I'm going to have to invest!!

I've also been studying Michael Ammar's Cups and Balls and I'm glad to be learning the classic version without gimmicks, but, the combo gives you the ability to really push them over the cliff.

I'm guessing a real quality set, as you have alluded, is upwards of two hundred bucks. No matter.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Donny at Rings N Things does beautiful work. I have the Mendoza Brushed Aluminum Cups and they run around $150. The copper cups that run $350 are really beautiful. I also love the Bells of St. Mary Chrome ($265) and the Foxy 3 Black Chrome Cups ($310) and Copper Satin ($260). Someday...

Ammar's work is the best place to learn the classics. I have the DVDs and his book in an electronic version. Good stuff.

I like the combo cup just because it gives me that extra level of wow. I've designed my routines to use that in combination with some of the more sleight of hand loads and steals.

Jan 9, 2017
Donny at Rings N Things does beautiful work. I have the Mendoza Brushed Aluminum Cups and they run around $150. The copper cups that run $350 are really beautiful. I also love the Bells of St. Mary Chrome ($265) and the Foxy 3 Black Chrome Cups ($310) and Copper Satin ($260). Someday...

Ammar's work is the best place to learn the classics. I have the DVDs and his book in an electronic version. Good stuff.

I like the combo cup just because it gives me that extra level of wow. I've designed my routines to use that in combination with some of the more sleight of hand loads and steals.

Thanks for informing me of this site! The variety is incredible! I need to see more pictures to compare different types of finishes, e.g., mirror vs. satin, etc. But it's gonna be difficult to decide. Atleast I can count on precision and elegance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results