Creating Tricks

Oct 28, 2007
Indiana
Well I am a fairly young Magician and I am really sick of buying tricks off of websites, I mean if i see a really good trick of course ill get it and learn it. But i really want to start creating my own tricks and i just can't find a way to do that. I can't find any inspiration or any clever things. I mean like Wayne Houchin with stigmata and sinful and all of that stuff how do i start coming up with ingenious effects like that?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
well W.H. does and the Buck Twins do and whoever is they practice for many years, you think it took the buck twins a week to come up with tivo transpo lol i dont think so, and also they put mnay differant moves and sleights together to make one move, as in stigmata, it involves various moves, or Swiss made, or whatever, and it takes alot of practice to come up with your own trick, some tricks you can make up just by putting various sleights together, but to be creative and create unique tricks and huge effects will take alot of practice. so just try to be creative and dont worry it will come to you, good luck =]

Dec 8, 2007
Personally, I start with the overall effect I want to achieve. I get inspirations from comic books, movies, random stuff I see of the streets. After I figure out what the effect will be, I sit down and start brainstorming how I will go about achieving that effect.

Generally, through the brainstorming process I will think about what sleights I know that could help achieve that effect, what objects I'll need, and whether I need a gimmick or not. Afterwards, I start piecing it together, doesn't even matter if it takes an hour to set up the trick, or if its completely impractical in a real world situation.

Next, I get my girlfriend, and show her what I've come up with, and get her suggestions. This is actually quite and important step in my opinion, because its here that I get feedback on the effect, whether its good, what angles I'll have to deal with, what she saw, and how amazing the effect actually was.

Afterwards, its just a matter of refining what I had, and working out the kinks.

Of course, if you're going to create your own tricks, you will have to keep a positive attitude about it, as sometimes, you'll work for months on one trick, only to find that it wasn't worth your time or something. Perseverance is key in this process.

I hope this helps you with your magical pursuits, and good luck to you.

Oct 6, 2007
Jay Sankey has a DVD: "Creating Your Own Magic"

It's pretty good , and he tells you his key advice when creating magic.

But remember, a great idea will come to you, if you sit there trying to THINK of a great effect or idea, it probably wont happen. You can't just rush into creating effects- take your time, let it come to you.

Also, i agree with the posts above. Think of the effect first (what you want to achieve), then think of the method of achieving it. After all that is done, you can work on angles, performance, subtleties, etc.

So, take your time, and come up with an effect first. GOOD LUCK!!

Sep 1, 2007
my effect

i came up with this on my school bus see you can come up with amazing effects anywhere its they pick card and lose it in the deck you show them a card and its not theirs you take it put it in the middle and it changes then you take it and palm it 2-3 times and show them and or tell them something abouit palming and then i vanished it cut the deck and told them that i got it little wrong and their cvard is upside down and i dribble until its their card and their like wooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww:D

Nov 22, 2007
if you sit there trying to THINK of a great effect or idea

Where the hell does this idea come from? I've heard it before, and I think it's bluff spacing. You have to think to create an effect. It's not just going to pop up in your head. Unless it's a one move misdirection effect like MindBender or something. But even that uses some spoonbending techinques that you have to think to use.

Personally, I start with the overall effect I want to achieve. I get inspirations from comic books, movies, random stuff I see of the streets. After I figure out what the effect will be, I sit down and start brainstorming how I will go about achieving that effect.

Generally, through the brainstorming process I will think about what sleights I know that could help achieve that effect, what objects I'll need, and whether I need a gimmick or not. Afterwards, I start piecing it together, doesn't even matter if it takes an hour to set up the trick, or if its completely impractical in a real world situation.

Next, I get my girlfriend, and show her what I've come up with, and get her suggestions. This is actually quite and important step in my opinion, because its here that I get feedback on the effect, whether its good, what angles I'll have to deal with, what she saw, and how amazing the effect actually was.

Afterwards, its just a matter of refining what I had, and working out the kinks.

Of course, if you're going to create your own tricks, you will have to keep a positive attitude about it, as sometimes, you'll work for months on one trick, only to find that it wasn't worth your time or something. Perseverance is key in this process.

I hope this helps you with your magical pursuits, and good luck to you.

This is pretty much what I do. Remember to keep a journal to write down all of your ideas.

Also I find it that my beste ideas and creations come when I'm not trying to create. When I'm just fooling around with a deck of cards. When I'm just having fun the ideas just come naturally.

And don't' think an idea is bad. If I had thought of the method to the Revolution Coin Vanish myself I would have said this is stupid and obvious, but it could actually fool the crap out of someone.

Keep trying out your ideas. Don't give up on any of them until you've experimented. So just keep trying.

Also there is NO type of secret formula to make you create awesome magic. It kinda is all on you. You have to creative in your own way. I create magic different than you. Everyone is unique in what inspires them. You might get inspired when your drinking lemonade. I might get inspired when I'm watching T.V. So you have to discover yourself.

Also have a good foundation of knowledge. Pick up some books on the fundamentals like The Royal Road to Card Magic or Bobo's Modern Coin Magic or whatever type of magic your trying to do, so you have a good amount of knowledge of sleights to use in your tricks.

And have fun creating your magic. Don't try too hard. That will just clog up your brain. The best magic comes naturally.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Well, I came up with a couple tricks, but found out that they were impractical, and too hard, and didn't look that great. But I did come up with one ok effect so I know some stuff about this.
First of all I kind of agree with the person above who said that you can't sit there thinking and trying to come up with an effect, I partially agree.
THere is 2 ways of making an effect: taking something old and making it much better, whats popping into my hand is Kaos because the guy took an old trick, that you couldn't show your hands empty and improved it by allowing you to show your hands empty and had the penetration much more visual. Now the second type is the one that is hard to think of, it hits you like lightning, and that is making a new type of trick, because an ACR wasn't around always, it was invented, so wasn't Here then there, they are new concepts, if you make one, Pannic I think is a new concept because I never saw a trick of that type or genre before, unlike Distortion which took Here then There, and made it much better, now thats harder to come up with but as a trick you'll have more chances of it being good and practical because you can't really compare it to anything before, here is my advice

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Well I am a fairly young Magician and I am really sick of buying tricks off of websites, I mean if i see a really good trick of course ill get it and learn it. But i really want to start creating my own tricks and i just can't find a way to do that. I can't find any inspiration or any clever things. I mean like Wayne Houchin with stigmata and sinful and all of that stuff how do i start coming up with ingenious effects like that?:confused:

collected essay

This is more for people my age. I am not trying to teach those older and wiser, just display my view on things of this nature having created about 50 effect, all original. This essay is for those who want to create their own original magic. Please, enjoy.

YOUR MAGIC

Michael Kras

Chapter 1: Exposure

What many young magicians do not understand about magic is that it is a highly respected art form by those who pursue it and are engrossed by it. It saddens me to see so many exposures by people young and old on the internet or live. What they do not realize is that, as kind as they may think it is, it is often hurting our profession. If everyone on the block starts doing Coin Matrix and Triumph routines, then what is left? Will the layperson soon become a vanished breed?

As long as magic shops are public and internet magic websites running, some average Joe could learn or purchase, say, a DVD by Jay Sankey or Tyler Wilson’s book, learn the effects they were not meant to learn, not take it seriously, and teach it to others without a care. The truth is, anyone can do what we do. How?

Practice! If, for whatever reason (as an icebreaker?), a layperson is willing to put the time and effort, the person can learn the routine or sleight and will often use it. That is another form of exposure: poor handling of an effect. If a layperson learns an intermediate effect, the person will most likely slip up, or get caught. And what is worse, they often do not care! They often do not take magic seriously. They think of magic as a simple hobby such as knitting or baking. But it is not! Most magicians’ jobs and lives rely on magic, and if laypeople know, for instance, a DL exists, they could call you on one, even if you aren’t doing it! I, for one, would be destroyed by that, since most card routines I do contain at least one DL. Many times we get away with sleights because laypeople aren’t looking for a palmed card or coin. They do not even know that type of thing exists, but if they do, POOF! The close-uppers career is weakened. Exposure happens; it is all too real. So how can it be avoided?

One of the best ways is to create your own magic. To invent or innovate a new trick or sleight and keep it to yourself. “How can I create my own magic?” There are numerous ways to go about it. Here is the first way.

Chapter 2: A Simple Test

We are going to execute a test. Right here, right now. Do NOT leave your seat, but look around you. Find the closest object to yourself. Pick up the object. I am going to tell you exactly what you are holding. Concentrate on the object. Think of nothing else but the object.

So, you’re thinking of it, your mind clear of any other thoughts. Read the following:

The object you are holding is rather small. It has a slightly round quality to part of it. It is a smooth object. The object is slightly flexible. The object is…

Your first magic creation.

I am right, aren’t I? Of course I am, because that is the object you are stuck with for the next while. At least, until you create magic with it.

Look at your object. Now think of something magical that could happen to the object. Could it change colour? Could it levitate? Could it spontaneously combust? Could it be ground into powder with your bare hands? Of course not… in real life. I want you to think about reality now, and relate the magical occurrence you have in mind to it. What could be used with your object to make the magic happen? Invisible thread? Confetti? Paint? A TT?

Now, I want you to think of a way your magical occurrence could happen to your object. Could it be palmed? Could you use the paddle move? Could it be sleeved? Of course, most magic effects use more than one magic sleight or principle to make the magic happen, so you should think of numerous ways to accomplish your dream effect. Think of an easy method, utilizing (for example) a false transfer or key card principle. But also think of advanced methods, even if the method is far beyond your skill. As long as you know the mechanics of the advanced sleights, you should be fine. Think of methods using Culling, Multiple Breaks, Sleeving, or the Tenkai Pinch. For example, a Colour Changing Hair Comb could be accomplished simply with a couple of Paddle Moves or in a more advanced way with the Flipstick move and a quick sleeving.

Now that it has all been worked through, go get any materials you have in mind to make the magic happen, and work with your idea. If your idea doesn’t work, no problem! Try alternative methods. You must have skimmed through a few techniques while brainstorming, why not give them a go? It wouldn’t hurt to try.

Congratulations! You now know the basics of putting together a basic effect! All that is left is patter and presentation, and maybe an extension or improvement of your effect. There is definitely much improvement needed for your effect. However, you are still not done. The next chapter is of great importance, so read it carefully before so much as practicing your creation.

Chapter 3: The Angry Magician and YOU

Michael Kras has just created a magic effect. He calls this effect “Coins Across” which involves the coins magically traveling from one hand to the other. He claims this is a totally new concept, and publishes it in his new book. His book becomes a bestseller, and magicians love this new magic! Michael sits in his armchair, greedily counting his money, when a loud knock on the door is heard. Michael jumps out of his armchair and makes his way toward the door. Through the peephole, he espies a group of angry close-uppers! Michael does the only thing he can think of: he RUNS! He gallops toward the back door, and a loud THUD is heard! The magicians have broken down the front door! They quickly hurdle toward Michael, and….

I will leave that to your imagination. Sorry if I scared you, but that IS what will happen if you rip-off a published magic effect. Okay, maybe not so extreme, but many in the magic community will be against you. Why? Because you have stolen.

Whether you know it or not, you have stolen an existing effect from a potential artist. As negative as it sounds, it happens all the time. Magicians do not do there homework before releasing their effect to the magic community, and get burned on it later.

How can this be avoided? Easily! Just do your research and find out if the effect has been done before. Of course, you can easily find out if the effect is the same as a slightly famous effect just by looking around. Surf the internet, read a book. It is acceptable if the EFFECT is the same but your METHOD is different, but a routine accomplished by a method that is already in print is definitely a no-no. Heck, you should even be careful in Case A. Some magicians STILL think if your effect is the same or even somewhat similar to an existing effect but the method is different, it is still stealing, especially if you call the effect original. Just take a look at every magic book and DVD you own and check if your effect is in print before releasing. If it is, you can still remodel the effect until it utilizes a different magic principle. The best place to research is in the Tarbell Course In Magic, since so many methods are in print just there. Of course, it would be impossible to study and research every existing magic book, video, manuscript, or marketed effect, especially for one effect, so the best thing to do is study the most popular magic products and records. If you reprint something that has been long forgotten, it can be called a discovery. Note that I said “discovery”. That is a mistake many magicians make. Since it is near impossible to create something totally new these days, the best you can say you have accomplished is discovered an effect. Not created, not invented, but discovered! There is no possible way of telling if an effect is original, which it most likely isn’t, so you lose all credibility in the magic community by, basically, lying!

As long as you have studied and have really tried to find an effect, you can call your effect a discovery. Since the earliest magic book in print dates back to 1584 with a book entitled The Discovery Of Witchcraft, there is no possible way of finding out if an effect has been done before. Note the word “Discovery” in the book’s title! Even in the 1500s there was no way of telling! If someone in those times could figure that out, so can you.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Chapter 4: Effective Ways To Create Magic

You are in a creative mood. You feel the need to play around to create an effect. Ideas start brewing in your mind, and you anxiously jump out of your seat and lunge for a deck of cards. STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE! STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKES!

I strongly recommend you do not try to create a card effect until you have some experience in creating magic. Why? Believe me, as common as card effects are, you will find it very difficult to create a card effect… at least one that is as “new” as possible. You might find yourself re-inventing The Ambitious Card or Twisting The Aces. Trust me, as experienced as you may be with cards, it is no picnic to create something new with them. You will most likely get burned, or worse, stuck. But do not fret! You can still brainstorm today, my friend. Why don’t you grab the hammer in your garage? Get a sponge from the bathroom while you’re at it!

Believe it or not, the best way and easiest way to discover something that is hopefully new is to play around with the most uncommon props in magic! Tennis rackets, batteries, broccoli, ANYTHING. That is, anything BUT cards or coins.

How about recharging the battery with your hand? Biting and restoring the broccoli? Levitating a tennis ball and whacking it into the distance with the tennis racket? All great examples of effects with the most uncommon of magic props. What can you do with a kite? A television remote? A belt? A knife? The possibilities are endless! I suggest using the technique in Chapter 2 to start brainstorming with your object. However, use this technique in a different way. Enter each room in your house, and grab the first object you see. While you do this, think of the possibilities. How could your object do the impossible? It doesn’t matter if the effects won’t fool other magicians! To fool any layperson from age 5 to 105 is the goal. Don’t stop with household objects either! Check your backyard. What can you accomplish with a rock? A fallen leaf?

While reading this, you may feel rushed to create magic with everything in sight. I advise strongly against that. If you want to create something great with an object, work with that object for a while. THEN move on to something else. Rush is never a good thing, unless you suffer a sudden violent bowel movement.

Chapter 5: Magic That Is YOU!

Close up magicians create close up magic. Stage performers create stage magic. Children’s performers create children’s magic.

Close uppers don’t normally create stage illusions. Children’s magicians won’t experiment with cards and flash paper. It’s just not what they do. Which is why you should create the magic that suits you. Do not create magic that is not your style. You are wasting your time creating something you will never use. The main reason magicians create magic is to keep to themselves. To use themselves without fear of other magicians already having knowledge of the effect. Don’t just create for the sake of creating or keeping yourself busy. There is no point!

When you create an effect, make sure it suits you. Not only your style of magic, but your personality. Add your own humor and your own patter. Patter that is YOU. Not only does it make creating and developing magic much easier, but it makes the magic more believable. If you are a welder that does magic as a hobby, people will relate to and find the magic more believable if, for example, you fuse two pieces of metal together with the heat of your hands. If you are a young magician and start pattering about being on the job or purchasing a new car, you automatically lose credibility for creating real magic. This not only applies to creating magic, but performing magic in general. My advice to you is to try to not use the patter and presentation supplied with a marketed effect. At least, not after a while. I do recommend you start off the effect performing it exactly as the instructions say you should. Practice it this way for about a week, until you have the effect down to a decent working. Afterwards, now that you have decent knowledge of the effect, you can create your own presentation and patter that suits you and your style. To present a routine or effect to laypeople that can relate you your style of life with the effect set to your style, what you are in terms of personality and job, and what you do in terms of hobbies or lifestyles feels like real magic not only to your spectators, but also to yourself. Magic does not get much more real than that!

Dec 8, 2007
I tip my hat to you Greg, nicely said.

An after thought I had a couple hours after my original post. I'm going to assume you're (skyching10) trying to create card magic, in addition to assuming that you are relatively new to magic.

Now, if you think objectively about the tools we use to manipulate cards, that being our hands, you'll realize that the number of motions (sleights) that we can perform are limited. No matter how many new sleights are invented, eventually we as magicians will reach a point where we can no longer create new sleights due to the limitations of movement our hands pose (It is because of this realization that I personally think the original magicians invented gimmicks). Granted, new sleights are still being made, and there is a really large library of sleights out there for you to learn.

However, the amount of effects that you can create (by stringing sleights together) and perform vastly outnumbers the amount of sleights available, and with each additional sleight that number increases exponentially.

Following this logic, I urge you, while you're thinking of new unique effects to create, etc, to go out and learn as many sleights as you can, and get really good at the sleights. In fact, I suggest that you put learning new sleights as your priority for now. The reason for this is, if all your effects are just sleights (sometimes a new gimmick) put together, why would you shortchange yourself by not learning more sleights?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway

1. learn a lot of different sleights
2. ???
3. profit

some things you can try and make, other things just pop straight into your head.

i dont know how Wayne came accross Sinful , but im pretty sure he went like "how can i get the coin inside the bottle?" and then tried different ways.
knowing sleights and experience helps a lot.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
well W.H. does and the Buck Twins do and whoever is they practice for many years, you think it took the buck twins a week to come up with tivo transpo lol i dont think so, and also they put mnay differant moves and sleights together to make one move, as in stigmata, it involves various moves, or Swiss made, or whatever, and it takes alot of practice to come up with your own trick, some tricks you can make up just by putting various sleights together, but to be creative and create unique tricks and huge effects will take alot of practice. so just try to be creative and dont worry it will come to you, good luck =]

Yeah, agreed. I mean, it took Mr Punctuation a long time to work out all of the little subtleties that make his trick (it's called 'English' and is available on the highly recommended DVD set 'School' for those that are wondering).
Sorry, but you could at least make the effort. :mad:

In answer to the original question of creating tricks, the best way (I find) is when you're actually performing magic and somebody says "Hey, can you do XXX?" You are forced to instantly start jazzing. This is how I've come up with some of my best stuff, by being put into a situation where I need to think of a method quickly, rather than wanting to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Yeah, agreed. I mean, it took Mr Punctuation a long time to work out all of the little subtleties that make his trick (it's called 'English' and is available on the highly recommended DVD set 'School' for those that are wondering).
Sorry, but you could at least make the effort. :mad:

Burn, baby Burn, ta dá dá du dá dum...*singing the song*.

Nah, im kiding - but like Randomwrath said, people around here should at least put an effort into your posts, to make them legible and comprehensible; are you in a hurry or something?

I'm not burning you, I'm just making a general post...It's just that Randomwrath made such a sweet burn. With an added sting - and I'm a sucker for those :)

Someone made a post almost about the same thing, and I replyed to it by showing him Sankey's Creat Your own Magic. It's a great dvd for this sort fo thing.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Hey mate. There're quite a number of threads about this in the forum, have a forum search, that should come up with some more tips :)

The one thing of Greg's I particularly agree with is that you have to have a lot of experience in cards to come up with something remotely different. If you really want to, I'm afraid you'll have to buy more things rather than less - this is where many inventors develop inspiration from. Try buying some books rather than buying that latest "sick trick", that'll get you nowhere. Get inspired off something like AFTUS, or an old plot like the Ten Card Poker Deal.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Chapter 4: Effective Ways To Create Magic

You are in a creative mood. You feel the need to play around to create an effect. Ideas start brewing in your mind, and you anxiously jump out of your seat and lunge for a deck of cards. STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE! STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKES!

I strongly recommend you do not try to create a card effect until you have some experience in creating magic. Why? Believe me, as common as card effects are, you will find it very difficult to create a card effect… at least one that is as “new” as possible. You might find yourself re-inventing The Ambitious Card or Twisting The Aces. Trust me, as experienced as you may be with cards, it is no picnic to create something new with them. You will most likely get burned, or worse, stuck. But do not fret! You can still brainstorm today, my friend. Why don’t you grab the hammer in your garage? Get a sponge from the bathroom while you’re at it!

Believe it or not, the best way and easiest way to discover something that is hopefully new is to play around with the most uncommon props in magic! Tennis rackets, batteries, broccoli, ANYTHING. That is, anything BUT cards or coins.

How about recharging the battery with your hand? Biting and restoring the broccoli? Levitating a tennis ball and whacking it into the distance with the tennis racket? All great examples of effects with the most uncommon of magic props. What can you do with a kite? A television remote? A belt? A knife? The possibilities are endless! I suggest using the technique in Chapter 2 to start brainstorming with your object. However, use this technique in a different way. Enter each room in your house, and grab the first object you see. While you do this, think of the possibilities. How could your object do the impossible? It doesn’t matter if the effects won’t fool other magicians! To fool any layperson from age 5 to 105 is the goal. Don’t stop with household objects either! Check your backyard. What can you accomplish with a rock? A fallen leaf?

While reading this, you may feel rushed to create magic with everything in sight. I advise strongly against that. If you want to create something great with an object, work with that object for a while. THEN move on to something else. Rush is never a good thing, unless you suffer a sudden violent bowel movement.

Chapter 5: Magic That Is YOU!

Close up magicians create close up magic. Stage performers create stage magic. Children’s performers create children’s magic.

Close uppers don’t normally create stage illusions. Children’s magicians won’t experiment with cards and flash paper. It’s just not what they do. Which is why you should create the magic that suits you. Do not create magic that is not your style. You are wasting your time creating something you will never use. The main reason magicians create magic is to keep to themselves. To use themselves without fear of other magicians already having knowledge of the effect. Don’t just create for the sake of creating or keeping yourself busy. There is no point!

When you create an effect, make sure it suits you. Not only your style of magic, but your personality. Add your own humor and your own patter. Patter that is YOU. Not only does it make creating and developing magic much easier, but it makes the magic more believable. If you are a welder that does magic as a hobby, people will relate to and find the magic more believable if, for example, you fuse two pieces of metal together with the heat of your hands. If you are a young magician and start pattering about being on the job or purchasing a new car, you automatically lose credibility for creating real magic. This not only applies to creating magic, but performing magic in general. My advice to you is to try to not use the patter and presentation supplied with a marketed effect. At least, not after a while. I do recommend you start off the effect performing it exactly as the instructions say you should. Practice it this way for about a week, until you have the effect down to a decent working. Afterwards, now that you have decent knowledge of the effect, you can create your own presentation and patter that suits you and your style. To present a routine or effect to laypeople that can relate you your style of life with the effect set to your style, what you are in terms of personality and job, and what you do in terms of hobbies or lifestyles feels like real magic not only to your spectators, but also to yourself. Magic does not get much more real than that!

HAHA wow, thank you for reposting this... didn't know it was still kicking around. Guess it left an impresssion on some people :).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results