Saturday Night Contest - Dynamic Dice

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
I sadly could not spend a lot of time on this, because I am working on another project( for the few who actually care, it is in fact another card sculpture) so I had this idea and decided to put it out and try my luck.

By the way I'm notsure what went wrong with the recording and no Matter how many times I tried to record it kept happening so now the video is vertical.......

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys, time for results! We knew this one wasn't easy, but you guys came out and stepped up to the challenge - well done to each and every one of you! Some really great ideas floating out there - great work.

After some deliberation, we have come to a winner. We felt that this effect was done very smooth and effortless, and the dice were used in a unique way. Well done to edohuang1989 for winning this week's contest! Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP.

Some great honorable mentions go to DominusDolorum and Brett Hurley for their unique entries; you guys made it very close! Excellent, excellent work to both of you.

See you guys on Saturday for a new contest!

Nov 12, 2016
Really thought I had a chance this week. Oh well! Just interested to know what everyone thought of my entry?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Really thought I had a chance this week. Oh well! Just interested to know what everyone thought of my entry?
I thought that it didn't look natural at all. Holding the dice awkwardly the tables edge was really suspicious. You should make your actions natural and justified.

Also, the plot was illogical. "I wanted some soda but oh no its empty. Wait a minute... I have a die. I can mark that and vanish it under a playing card and make it appear inside the can." It doesn't make sense.

Nov 12, 2016
I thought that it didn't look natural at all. Holding the dice awkwardly the tables edge was really suspicious. You should make your actions natural and justified.

Also, the plot was illogical. "I wanted some soda but oh no its empty. Wait a minute... I have a die. I can mark that and vanish it under a playing card and make it appear inside the can." It doesn't make sense.
Yes, I agree with the first point. I couldn't practise it enough in the time I had. With regards to the plot it was more so "I am going to do a trick with a die but I need a drink first". Anyway what did you think of the actuall effect itself?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Yes, I agree with the first point. I couldn't practise it enough in the time I had. With regards to the plot it was more so "I am going to do a trick with a die but I need a drink first". Anyway what did you think of the actuall effect itself?
Well, it's a classic effect, and you can't beat the classics. Normally it would be done with coins instead dice but that's what's nice about these contests, they challenge you to think outside the box. My effect is normally done with coins as well but I adapted it to dice because of the choice of 1-6 made sense. Looking back at my video now I should have just set the wallet to the side. It could even be inspected because it really doesn't serve a purpose besides hiding the dice from view. I made it look suspicious when there's no reason to.

Anyway, the effect is nice but it's overshadowed by awkward handling near the edge of the table.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Well, it's a classic effect, and you can't beat the classics. Normally it would be done with coins instead dice but that's what's nice about these contests, they challenge you to think outside the box. My effect is normally done with coins as well but I adapted it to dice because of the choice of 1-6 made sense. Looking back at my video now I should have just set the wallet to the side. It could even be inspected because it really doesn't serve a purpose besides hiding the dice from view. I made it look suspicious when there's no reason to.

Anyway, the effect is nice but it's overshadowed by awkward handling near the edge of the table.
I don't know why the last bit got cut off (thanks, Grammarly), but I also wanted to say it was a really good effort. Had you had the time to practice it more I think this would have AT LEAST been in honorable mentions.

With this type of video, where it's just you, shoot it a few times and nitpick it to death. I've had to redo videos in the past due to awkward handlings but I would watch those takes and learn why they didn't work. The times I've settled, such as the last video submission I did, are when the times I did my worst entries. But the times I paid attention to my mistakes ended up paying off in the end.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results