Correct Patter

Mar 29, 2017
Thoughts please...
While performing Triumph...as you are shuffling face up into face down...would it be ok to say "Only 3 types of people do this little kids, magicians and crazy people"

Reactions: Dean Magic
Sep 30, 2016
I've heard something really close to that by a similar magician whose name I currently can't remember. He said that "only two types of people shuffle this way: drunks and little children." I would personally remove the magician part, as I think it seems to hint that the shuffle involves some sort of sleight of hand, which you definitely don't want to do. Otherwise it is a very good line.

Reactions: Bodini and Kvn
Mar 29, 2017
I've heard something really close to that by a similar magician whose name I currently can't remember. He said that "only two types of people shuffle this way: drunks and little children." I would personally remove the magician part, as I think it seems to hint that the shuffle involves some sort of sleight of hand, which you definitely don't want to do. Otherwise it is a very good line.
I was referring to the word crazy.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
One line I thought of is "Now I'm going to show you the shuffle that my four year old son taught me how to do." or something along those lines. Basically try to connect your humanity to theirs so they can relate to your performance more.

Exactly. Anytime you talk in the third person and on an abstract level, you lose a level of connection.

I was actually referring to the word crazy.

I don't see a problem with the word "crazy." It may be better than saying "drunks" depending on your age and the audience you are performing. If you want to make it more vivid, you could use "criminally insane." A better line would be, "the only people who shuffle this way are young children, the criminally insane and magicians - actually, that last one is redundant because most magicians fall into one of the first two catagories anyway." Nonetheless, the general public doesn't find stories about magicians as funny or interesting as we do. That is why I added the touch of self depricating humor to the line.

Reactions: Bodini
Mar 29, 2017
Exactly. Anytime you talk in the third person and on an abstract level, you lose a level of connection.

I don't see a problem with the word "crazy." It may be better than saying "drunks" depending on your age and the audience you are performing. If you want to make it more vivid, you could use "criminally insane." A better line would be, "the only people who shuffle this way are young children, the criminally insane and magicians - actually, that last one is redundant because most magicians fall into one of the first two catagories anyway." Nonetheless, the general public doesn't find stories about magicians as funny or interesting as we do. That is why I added the touch of self depricating humor to the line.
My Line is: "Only three types of people do this Little Kids, Magicians, and Crazy people...oh wait...maybe only 2 types!"

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Thoughts please...
While performing Triumph...as you are shuffling face up into face down...would it be ok to say "Only 3 types of people do this little kids, magicians and crazy people"

I first heard John Bannon use this line. It works.

If you want to push yourself you can look at what works in the line and add to it and make it your own.

What other types of people might shuffle like this?
Monkeys? Drunks? Frankenstein? People with two left hands?

This line has a good one two punch, it also has a the possibility of a surprise punchline. "Only 3 types of people do this little kids, magicians and crazy people. I'll leave it up to you to decide which one I am."

Is there another comparison between three people you could use with this? Could it incorporate another punch line?

What comes to mind right now is this: "I have a fear that I'm going to wake up at some point and realize that I have a sixth finger or two left hands. What kind of magic could I do with a sixth finger? I presume if I was to shuffle a deck of cards with two left hands, I would do so like this. (shuffle the cards)"

I don't know if that helps.

Reactions: Bodini
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results