Magic Stream - Ellusionist

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
Ellusionist released an entirely new type of magic tutorials in the form of a pay-per-month format - $12.95 to obtain access to a wealth of tricks and tutorials at magicstream.com. What are your opinions on this? Is Magic Stream going to be beneficial for us, or will it prove to have a negative effect on the magic community?

Jan 14, 2017
I saw that and my first thought was, "what a great idea". I was about to 'click the button' and then had a thought. Would I really make use of it (after the initial WOW factor wears off). I am reminded of the comment you hear from so many people regarding cable tv; with hundreds of channels I don't have time to watch them all, and there are really only a couple that interest me.
Recently, I have been focusing more on QUALITY in my magic over Quantity. It is fun, and exciting to learn a new effect. But I would rather be able to do half-a-dozen really well and spend my time practicing and performing those than always 'chasing the latest cool thing'.

My 2 cents { I expect change back }

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I was excited also. They pushed it as Netflix for magic. That reminded me how often I used Netflix after having it.
I think I'll just stick with purchasing the effects or books I want. Besides, I love getting s***in the mail.... just sayin'.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
I saw that and my first thought was, "what a great idea". I was about to 'click the button' and then had a thought. Would I really make use of it (after the initial WOW factor wears off). I am reminded of the comment you hear from so many people regarding cable tv; with hundreds of channels I don't have time to watch them all, and there are really only a couple that interest me.
Recently, I have been focusing more on QUALITY in my magic over Quantity. It is fun, and exciting to learn a new effect. But I would rather be able to do half-a-dozen really well and spend my time practicing and performing those than always 'chasing the latest cool thing'.

My 2 cents { I expect change back }

I definitely agree with you ParkinT, quality over quantity is something I try to live by when it comes to magic. I often enjoy knowing/learning how to do a trick, but that simply doesn't compare to having perfected a trick through lots of practice. I've looked through the tricks offered through the program, and I might end up paying for a single month, because there are effects in there I would probably buy anyways - and the price is actually cheaper then the effect itself on Ellusionist. (Also, I'm honestly curious to see if it's worth all of the hype - and I can spare $13 :D ). If I do end up trying it out, I'll certainly let you know how my experience goes, and if it's worth it. However, I'm still debating it, we'll see what happens.

Also, CWhite, I definitely agree that it feels so much better to get something in the mail sometimes, rather than just instant gratification. The phrase Netflix for magic intrigues me, but it also worries me that people might just run helter-skelter from effect to effect without giving them the time of day that they deserve. I don't know yet how Magic Stream will affect magicians because it hasn't been around long enough to see, but I'm curious to see what happens.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think as a beginner, I would have loved this. If it helps kids get better teaching, then that's a good thing. But for me now I usually buy very intentionally, and this would not be worthwhile.

Doesn't Jay Sankey already do this?

Yep, Jay does basically this same thing. The format for Ellusionist is a little bit better. I subbed to Jays a couple years ago, it's a great concept. I'm currently subbed to Ellusionist's.

There are a bunch of similarities but the magic is completely different. They are both a pretty good value. The only issue I see is that with both it is really tough to slow yourself down and really perfect what you are learning. Drinking from a fire hose kind of thing.

Sep 20, 2016
I might just get it for a month... Daniel Madison has some good stuff, and I would love to learn the anti-faro by Jeremy Griffith

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I might just get it for a month... Daniel Madison has some good stuff, and I would love to learn the anti-faro by Jeremy Griffith

The anti-faro can only be done a couple times with a brand new deck, it won't work after about an hour of the deck being out of the box according to Jeremy.

Reactions: ParkinT

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
Drinking from a fire hose kind of thing.

THOSE were the words I was looking for to describe it - thank you! I just paid for a month of subscription and I can indeed attest to that - it's hard to not jump from effect to effect. For all of you wondering if it's worth it, I would say that it's worth trying, at least for a month. There's plenty of quality magic there. But, as Josh Bursh said, it is quite difficult to keep the stream of information small enough to digest well.

Jan 14, 2017
Is it anything like Jay Sankey's Inside Deception Training Website? insidedeception.com
I think it is a bit more polished and less 'informal'. Actually, I prefer the more casual and loose format of InsideDeception. And Jay Sankey is approachable; I have had email conversations with him.
Ellusionists is really slick and it 'feels' very corporate by comparison.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Sep 20, 2016
The anti-faro can only be done a couple times with a brand new deck, it won't work after about an hour of the deck being out of the box according to Jeremy.
Thanks for the info, Ill rethink buying the pass. It only working within an hour of them being open is just impractical.

Apr 26, 2013
For 12$ and some change what is there to lose.I learned over 100$ worth of effects in the first day.I dont like the fact that someone can now spend 12$ just to see how some of the effects are done.If your not really dedicated to this art i could actually see you just skimming over the effects .Im ready for some Dani Daortiz material.It is a cool idea.I just like learning in general.Im still going go to Art of Magic.I still like Peguin Magic..Just work on the effects that you like.When it comes down to it,it's who practice's,and who dont.Its not a contest to see who has the most tricks,effects.Whatever.I will quote Daortiz.I DONT CARE.

Jan 14, 2017
I will quote Daortiz.I DONT CARE.
Well stated.

But you make a good point; the 'wiseguy' personality who simply want to be able to shout, "I know how you did that" and heckle a performer now has access to so much detailed information (on YouTube in particular).
For the Art of Magic it is far more than the 'knowledge' or 'understanding' of the technique and involves much practice and training to perform those necessary moves. Not to mention other skills like audience management and storytelling.
I want to remind all who read this that we should give ourselves credit for being Entertainers and Performers foremost. I find myself easily lost in the focus on being a strong mechanic (particularly with card and coin sleights) and lose this important perspective.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Is it anything like Jay Saney's Inside Deception Training Website? insidedeception.com

It's the same. Imagine the difference between Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix. Different content, different pricing options, different user experience, similar idea.

They pushed it as Netflix for magic.

This was funny because Jay Sankey has been calling his site a Netflix for magicians ever since that's what I called it back in the day. On his 7/21/2014 newsletter he quoted me and I took a screen shot.

Attachments

• Netflix.png
    Netflix.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results