Cards became clumpy

May 13, 2017
I recently bought a deck of gold Rarebits. After accidentally leaving it in a card clip for a night it became clumpy (thumb fan is hard as hell). Any idea how I can fix this?

May 2, 2017
Maybe try to spring the cards a bit. This will usually get air in between the cards and it will become a bit smoother to handle. Overall, I suggest that you just handle the cards for a while and they'll start to feel better after some time. Good luck!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Try breaking them in and airing them out. Here's what I would do:
Give them a good wash (as in the Vegas style wash, don't actually wash your cards xD)
Cut them a few times.
Start giving them riffle shuffles w/ the Bridge. I would do it 5 times, alternating face up and face down (ten times altogether - five in each direction).
Give it a few springs in both directions every 3 or 4 shuffles. Do some dribbles too.
Give the cards a faro in both directions.
A few more riffle shuffles and springs in both directions.
Fan them out, and give it a few more shuffles. You should be good at this point.

Good luck!

Reactions: FirstFlourish
May 13, 2017
Try breaking them in and airing them out. Here's what I would do:
Give them a good wash (as in the Vegas style wash, don't actually wash your cards xD)
Cut them a few times.
Start giving them riffle shuffles w/ the Bridge. I would do it 5 times, alternating face up and face down (ten times altogether - five in each direction).
Give it a few springs in both directions every 3 or 4 shuffles. Do some dribbles too.
Give the cards a faro in both directions.
A few more riffle shuffles and springs in both directions.
Fan them out, and give it a few more shuffles. You should be good at this point.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help! The cards definitely felt smoother but still clumps a lot, I can't even do the table spread without dragging the spread cards with the deck. Guess I'll just use them to practice cuts then.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Thanks for the help! The cards definitely felt smoother but still clumps a lot, I can't even do the table spread without dragging the spread cards with the deck. Guess I'll just use them to practice cuts then.
Hmm, how long ago did you buy them, and how much have you used them? It is possible that there was a shipping or even a manufacturing error. Also, where'd you buy them from?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Also, look at the side of the deck, or spread it out face up in different groups and see if there are some cards that cause the issues. Sometimes, a few or even just one card will be damaged, and mess up certain moves.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I recently bought a deck of gold Rarebits. After accidentally leaving it in a card clip for a night it became clumpy (thumb fan is hard as hell). Any idea how I can fix this?

My cards remain permanently in a card clip when I don't use them, this wasn't the reason they began to clump.

The main reason my cards clump is either because of moisture or dirt. If your hands are sticky or sweaty that could cause problems. If the room you left them in is humid that could cause issues. If the cards got too hot that could be a problem too.

I would no do a wash shuffle, this could cause the dirt and grime from what ever surface you are working on to wedge itself in between the cards. I feel like this will probably only serve to wear out the deck some more.

This is what I would do. With a soft clean cloth clean each card individually. Don't use water. Then take the deck and faro shuffle it face up into face down. Place it in the freezer for the night. This should help to make the cards all consistently the same temperature. Faro shuffle the cards repeatedly, don't bridge them as they come back to normal temperature. This should help.

If it doesn't, Ed Marlo used to look at all types of decks to get creative with. If it is clumpy think about what kind of magic you can do with a clumpy deck. Does it always clump with the same cards? Could you place the aces in a clump and reveal or hide them in a unique way?

If you can't fix it try making it into a positive thing.

Jun 21, 2013
Depending on the amount of finish still left on the cards they can become smooth again after getting some air through them. Keep dribbling them. And when you put it back in the box put 2-3 other decks on top of the rarebits.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results