Recommendations for card magic beginner

May 3, 2017
Hi!

I used to love doing card magic when I was younger and have been fascinated with it ever since. Lately I got back into it and would really like to invest some time into practicing the needed techniques. To not learn anything "wrong" I would really appreciate some advice on where to start and which source to use. I do own Mark Wilson's book and like it a lot. I also saw The Royal Road to Card Magic recommended a lot. Are there any more I should consider?

Currently I am training double lifts. I am also very interested in the Erdnase change because I like the effect a lot. Any good sources specifically for this?

Also, are there any good packet tricks that I should have a look at?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Jan 24, 2017
Alberta
Hello, here are some beginner effects I think you will like a lot!

1. the Invisible Deck
2. Rhines Dice
3. The Trick I am Going to Release Soon! It is a coin vanish.
4. David Blaines 2 Card Monte
5. A Joker Sandwich Card Trick, I can teach you that also if you are interested.

Jan 24, 2017
Alberta
Just reply to this post if you want to know how to do the joker sandwich trick. Sadly my coin vanish Trick will be 2$ when it releases so I can't give it to you for free.

May 3, 2017
Just reply to this post if you want to know how to do the joker sandwich trick. Sadly my coin vanish Trick will be 2$ when it releases so I can't give it to you for free.

Thank you very much for your recommendations and the offer about the joker sandwich. I would love to learn that one.

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
A solid double lift will get you a ton of mileage, so make sure you put in the time to master that. Be sure to learn a variety of controls, especially the overhand shuffle control. Read Royal Road, and really learn each sleight before moving on. Alongside Mark Wilson's Complete Course, that should help create a solid foundation in magic. RealityOne will probably show up to suggest a massive list of books to read, look into those as well. They're valuable resources, nothing can replace those classics in terms of comprehensive grasp on the art of card magic. However, I don't think it's necessary to purchase a library before you begin to incorporate other resources.

I believe there's a free instructional video on the Erdnase Change here somewhere... Yep, right here. It's titled "Classic Color Change", but if I recall correctly it's a variation of the Erdnase Change. Speaking of color changes, there's a very fun color changing deck trick titled "Chicago Closer" available on the Marketplace here, published by Michael O'Brien, which you can pick up for just a few dollars.

As far as specific tricks to look at, I'll second the Invisible Deck and Two Card Monte, those are classics for beginners, but you'll keep them in your repertoire for years to come. I'd learn some version of Triumph as well. Pretty sure it's taught in both Wilson's book and Royal Road. The Biddle Trick is another solid one. Can't remember where I learned it, though. I'd definitely learn a version of the Ambitious Card Routine. I originally based my ACR off the version taught on the YouTube channel 52kards, but I've adapted it extensively since. And available here on Theory 11, one of my all time favorites is French Kiss by Wayne Houchin. It's brilliant, powerful, and easy enough to perform with a bit of practice. Hope that gives you some ideas!

Reactions: Josh Mickelson
May 3, 2017
Thanks everyone for your replies and great recommendations. As per your suggestion I have ordered the Royal Road and together with Mark Wilson's book this will most likely keep me occupied for a while. The invisible deck and 2 card monte look very interesting. I haven't really found out if there is a specific invisible deck I should buy (I think there are multiple ones)?

The Classic Color Change video is exactly what I was was searching for, great stuff! :)

Jan 24, 2017
Alberta
No there is only one invisible deck. Same rules, etc. Problaby just different decks. All invisible decks comes in red bikes though so really it doesn't matter

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Yep, different people make the invisible deck, but as long as it's made correctly it shouldn't matter. I'd pick one up in Red or Blue Bicycle, simply because the standard backs are less suspicious to laymen, but that's a personal preference. I picked mine up from RedSilkMagic on Amazon, and it's worked great for me.

May 27, 2017
Stay away from the first section of Erdnase. Card Table Artifice is purely gambling based. The second section includes 8 colour changes, a selection of palms including the diagonal palm shift and back palm as well as a set of well devised shifts such as the classic pass or SWE shift. Legerdemain features a very classic look at magic sleights and while some things may be difficult to learn, it is well worth the read. There is also a section on magic routines in Erdnase, however the patter will have to be adjusted to a more modern presentation

Mar 15, 2017
You can buy Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, it's seperated into 8 DVDs (or Volumes as he refers them to), it includes a lot of standard stuff that you will use for the rest of your life, though, he doesn't teach you the double lift (which is pretty funny considering its the base of almost everything). RIP Daryl.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results