Card Magic at swap meet?

May 30, 2017
how realistic would it be for someone to perform up close "street card magic" at a swap meet (provided they are there with a vendor), for money? what are the legalities, etc. anyone?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Define "for money" - Are you talking about someone paying you to do card magic at their booth? Or do you mean busking?

If you mean busking, you can just do it. Busking is protected under the first amendment, so in general you're able to perform anywhere you want and ask for money.

There's probably no legalities to really worry about, but to be safe you could always ask the swap meet organizers first.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ok - Like I said, most likely you can just do it. Particularly if you're piggy-backing on someone's booth. They may want you to pay some kind of fee as a vendor if you're not with someone else who's already set up. You can either just risk it and go and set up and do your thing, or you can contact them ahead of time to get the specifics.

A lot of times at things like this they will welcome someone who essentially costs them nothing and adds variety to the event (Anything that keeps people around and likely to purchase more is a good thing).

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
If you are going to stroll around I would highly recommend talking to the organizers ahead of time to get their okay on it. It is always best to be on good terms with the people running the site you are one and if you present it properly they may even higher you to do it.

Reactions: Josh Burch

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Define "for money" - Are you talking about someone paying you to do card magic at their booth? Or do you mean busking?

If you mean busking, you can just do it. Busking is protected under the first amendment, so in general you're able to perform anywhere you want and ask for money.

There's probably no legalities to really worry about, but to be safe you could always ask the swap meet organizers first.

Sadly in this day.... you must remain careful. One person could be annoyed ... and you could find yourself with a ticket for loitering.
A guy here has been playing his guitar at the transit station here since I was young... has been cited numerous times for misdemeanor offences. He can't speak... He just sits and plays acoustic guitar hoping for a little bit of change..
My advice..... check with security if it's in a building....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results