Series of Free Magic Trick tutorials?

Jul 9, 2017
I see tons of tricks where you pay to learn them, but was wondering what resources there are for free?

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
I see tons of tricks where you pay to learn them, but was wondering what resources there are for free?

Murphy's magic has 5 free if you sign up for there newsletter. So does sansminds and Ellusionist. Penguin magic has 12 free on a dvd download. But other than those and youtube...... that's about it....

All the REALLY good stuff is in books, dvds, and lectures.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Libraries will often carry a few magic books.

There's actually quite a few books in the public domain about magic - which means digital copies of them are legal. But the language can be tricky to follow because they're old.

You can find stuff on YouTube - the vast majority is really poorly taught by people who never actually perform.

Most magic companies give freebies for signing up to their newsletter or will have a "Free" section.

However, if you want to get serious about magic, you will have to start learning from paid resources. The people who create magic don't just give away their life's work for free, generally.

Jul 9, 2017
Libraries will often carry a few magic books.

There's actually quite a few books in the public domain about magic - which means digital copies of them are legal. But the language can be tricky to follow because they're old.

You can find stuff on YouTube - the vast majority is really poorly taught by people who never actually perform.

Most magic companies give freebies for signing up to their newsletter or will have a "Free" section.

However, if you want to get serious about magic, you will have to start learning from paid resources. The people who create magic don't just give away their life's work for free, generally.

I understand that wholeheartedly, as I am a programmer by night. I would never give away my hardwork for free. That being said, I would love to find some very simply guides maybe a site that has a fremium model.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That's not really how magic works. At least, not any place I've heard of that isn't committing intellectual property theft.

You can buy stuff like The Tarbell Course, which a full set of 8 will cost anywhere from $150-$350 from what I've seen. That is .. well, basically the basis of all modern magic.

There's also stuff like Card College by Roberto Giobbi. I think it's 5 volumes, and if you get them all it'll be around $150ish. That's basically anything you'd ever need to know about card magic specifically.

Dan Harlan is doing a video series of "Every trick in the book", which is basically a "modernized" version of the Tarbell course. I'm pretty sure you'll spend significantly more for that series that you would for the books, but it's visual and some people prefer that.

You can also just get something like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and learn a ton that way, too.

There's plenty of low-cost options for learning magic. Most of them are books.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I highly recommend picking up some books as has been stated ^. However, there is a question that you should ask yourself:

Are you going to put in the time and effort to learn and practice and perform all the stuff in the books and DVDs? Or are you gonna just casually perform for friends and family a few times here and there?

If you really are going to put in the work, pick up a book or 2 and get started. I recommenced everything these guys have said, along with the Royal Road if you are really going to work on your magic. It costs $5 - $10 depending on where you buy it.

If you fall within the latter, I suggest you get the free tricks mentioned above. You might also want to check out Scam School's YouTube channel, those are the beginner level tricks that you would probably like to do.

There are a couple other channels I can recommend, but first I need where you fall. You gotta also know that these channels will not have nearly as much complete info as the books, and only a couple channels will teach stuff correctly.

Feb 17, 2017
artofmagic.com my dan and dave. They have free tutorials on sleights, magic tricks, metalist, and a lot of other stuff.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
artofmagic.com my dan and dave. They have free tutorials on sleights, magic tricks, metalist, and a lot of other stuff.

There are really only 1 or2 things in the sleight of hand category that can be used as complete tricks, which is what I think OP is looking for.

Only about 5 of the 24 free street magic ones are actual tricks, the rest are more so puzzles. And not all of those 5 are practice. However, OP might like the puzzles if he is just casually performing for friends & family at points. All but like 2 have been featured on Scam School though, and there are a lot more on Scam School so...

No other free tricks on the site...

Feb 18, 2015
Check out 52Kards as they have some good tutorials that teach the basics.
But if you really want to get out there and perform, I would suggest Royal Road to Card Magic (ebooks are always the cheapest), or Card College, or Tarbell (expensive but worth it). Also, check out your library to see if they have any of these classic books. Other good beginning books are Mark Wilsons Course, Expert At The Card Table (if you are into sleight of hand/sleights at the card table).

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Check out 52Kards as they have some good tutorials that teach the basics.
But if you really want to get out there and perform, I would suggest Royal Road to Card Magic (ebooks are always the cheapest), or Card College, or Tarbell (expensive but worth it). Also, check out your library to see if they have any of these classic books. Other good beginning books are Mark Wilsons Course, Expert At The Card Table (if you are into sleight of hand/sleights at the card table).
I was gonna recommend 52kards, but if he is just going to perform a couple completed tricks, he wont find 52kards too useful. 52Kards is a great library, but because it focuses more so on sleights and principals, and not really on complete tricks, OP won't find it useful (unless he truly is looking into practicing hardcore and stuff).

Jul 1, 2017
Also, Rick Lax as an excellent video titled, "The Secrets of Magic" that is free if you share it with a friend. I suggest that you google it and look closely at the conditions of purchase. It can be downloaded for free even though the normal price is $30. It's a great video for beginners. Rick is a fantastic teacher.

Reactions: 010rusty
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Chris Ramsay also does tutorials on his youtube channel every monday.
That's not really a series of tutorials related to each other. There are better places to learn than Chris's channel - even on YouTube. While you will get information on the trick, you won't really learn how to perform it (if that doesn't make sense. I can explain a bit more). His tutorials are good if you know how to actually perform, but they aren't too too different from a lot of the garbage tutorials (though they are a huge upgrade since he does go in depth on some of the moves, and history and stuff). His stuff is good, but its not even close to the level I would like to hand to someone.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results