Deal Practice Contraption

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys!
So I've been working on my deals for a while (want to get it perfect so I can judge & practice my false deals). However, I have a bad habit of pushing the card over instead of swiveling my thumb.

After trying to get out of this habit for a while and only getting there partially, I realized that the problem was that I keep bending my thumb. So to get around this and force mysefl to practice with swivel instead, I T-1000ed my Hand! Lol so not really. I essentially figured out that the way doctors keep bones from bending and moving while they heel is with a splint. A splint is essentially just a long beam that the bone is parallel to and attatched to, not allowing the bone to move. So I built a make shift splint.

Essentially it is a Popsicle stick running the length of my thumb from above. It is taped right above my wrist with a ton of tape. I actually wore a thumb tip while I taped it to my wrist to hold it in place. I then rolled a ton of tape around the top of my thumb and the stick (no thumb tip). All in all, it means that since my knuckle cant go up, I can't force my thumb down, and it is locked in place. I can now put the cards in mechanics grip and swivel my thumb to push it off... except I can't. Duct tape is not exactly causing any friction, or tacky enough to move card from the back side. So I took a ball of magicians wax and smushed it into the tape at the top of my thumb where the cards would connect,and spread it around with a pocket knife so that it covers a large area of where the cards connect with the thumb, and since it is thin, it isn't leaving any residue on the cards (maybe a very small amount, but its not noticeable. I'm also using older cards so it doesn't really matter). There are more pics that will (hopefully) be in a couple posts after this because they are apparently too big for the server to process.
20170718_232903_1500434944650.jpg
Now I've only been using this for a few minutes, but I am already completely resisting the urge to bend my thumb. I am also dealing fine with it. So if you need to practice your top deal, or even your false deals, go ahead and try this! One thing to note though is that after a while of wearing it , it is starting to cramp up, so you may want to take it off and take breaks every now and then. also, Try and replace the tape if its starts pulling off because that will defeat the purpose for it. In hind sight, medical tape would've worked much better....

What do you guys think?

P.S. I just found out I don't use my left thumb to type. The more you know.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Er... so I can't upload the pictures for whatever reason, but I think you guys can figure it out from the 1st picture. Sorry for the blurriness, I don't know why It's showing up like that.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Update! WEAR A HANDSOCK!

I am an abnormally hairy 16 year old kid. I put a ton of duct tape firmly onto my hand... It hurts so much while peeling it off :( It is most definitely not like a band aid... I used reinforced duct tape.

I Think I am going to get a piece of cloth or something ad wear it around my wrist (or at least where I tape it. Not at the top of my thumb) then tape it down. For anyone who might actually try this, I recommend you do the same, or use medical tape instead.

Be sure to let me know how it goes if you actually use it!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So.. not that anyone has replied yet or anything (probably because most of you are asleep), but I just wasted my entire night creating this as opposed to sleeping. Deal Fixer Contraption 2.0! (Let me know if you can't see the pictures. The server was being weird.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-Pc0pNdmc1NEVnTTg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PWnNWQ2lGMFdFNDg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PY1o1UTZkRzNRQVU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PakY1cTBCZXJ0dG8

I took all the tape off, and started again. I took a piece of sports wrap/bandages (the semi foamy fabric thing you wrap around your arm/leg/back when it gets beaten up while playing) and taped hot glued the popsicle stick to it, and taped it up so it would stay. I then took took the whole pad and taped it in position on my arm temporarily, and got another piece of the sports foam wrap thing. I wrapped it around my thumb and the stick and roughly cut it. I then took the temporary tape off my hand, and hot glued the other end of the Popsicle stick o the very edge of the second piece of the wrap. I put the pad back on (with duct tape, temporarily) and wrapped the sports wrap around my thumb & the stick tightly. I taped it off at the end, and then wrapped the whole tip in duct tape a few times.took the thing off my hand again. I used hot glue to fill the overlays in the new thumb tip (or coffin, if you feel so inclined...), and got all the gaps filled (except the one where your thumb goes obviously). I got some elastic and figure out how much I needed. I hot glue & taped it down on both ends of the underside, creating a loop for my wrist & hand. Finally, I applied some more magician's wax, just like before, to give it a bit of tackiness.

A couple things to note if you do make one: The Thumb Tip needs to be tight, so that your thumb has little to no wiggle room (shouldn't cut off circulation or anything). The front should also be taped off such that the thumb can touch the end. This version is significantly more comfortable, but there is still cramping if you wear it way to long (though a lot less). Also, you need to duct tape everything down, and on the "base pad", the duct tape should be hot glued down. When you apply the wax, spread it out, to get a larger surface area covered. You may want to put a fresh piece of tape across the bottom before applying the wax, to get a smoother surf

This actually fixed my habit and is helping me a ton in practice (if I can do a second deal with this, I can do one without it). I would actually recommend people use it! I know I am.

Also, if you read this, have a nice day! You know what. Have a nice rest-of-your-life! :)

Jun 21, 2017
So.. not that anyone has replied yet or anything (probably because most of you are asleep), but I just wasted my entire night creating this as opposed to sleeping. Deal Fixer Contraption 2.0! (Let me know if you can't see the pictures. The server was being weird.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-Pc0pNdmc1NEVnTTg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PWnNWQ2lGMFdFNDg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PY1o1UTZkRzNRQVU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxADYkk7LV-PakY1cTBCZXJ0dG8

I took all the tape off, and started again. I took a piece of sports wrap/bandages (the semi foamy fabric thing you wrap around your arm/leg/back when it gets beaten up while playing) and taped hot glued the popsicle stick to it, and taped it up so it would stay. I then took took the whole pad and taped it in position on my arm temporarily, and got another piece of the sports foam wrap thing. I wrapped it around my thumb and the stick and roughly cut it. I then took the temporary tape off my hand, and hot glued the other end of the Popsicle stick o the very edge of the second piece of the wrap. I put the pad back on (with duct tape, temporarily) and wrapped the sports wrap around my thumb & the stick tightly. I taped it off at the end, and then wrapped the whole tip in duct tape a few times.took the thing off my hand again. I used hot glue to fill the overlays in the new thumb tip (or coffin, if you feel so inclined...), and got all the gaps filled (except the one where your thumb goes obviously). I got some elastic and figure out how much I needed. I hot glue & taped it down on both ends of the underside, creating a loop for my wrist & hand. Finally, I applied some more magician's wax, just like before, to give it a bit of tackiness.

A couple things to note if you do make one: The Thumb Tip needs to be tight, so that your thumb has little to no wiggle room (shouldn't cut off circulation or anything). The front should also be taped off such that the thumb can touch the end. This version is significantly more comfortable, but there is still cramping if you wear it way to long (though a lot less). Also, you need to duct tape everything down, and on the "base pad", the duct tape should be hot glued down. When you apply the wax, spread it out, to get a larger surface area covered. You may want to put a fresh piece of tape across the bottom before applying the wax, to get a smoother surf

This actually fixed my habit and is helping me a ton in practice (if I can do a second deal with this, I can do one without it). I would actually recommend people use it! I know I am.

Also, if you read this, have a nice day! You know what. Have a nice rest-of-your-life! :)

Wow! That's some innovative designing there.
While I don't think I'll be trying this (since deals are not my priority right now) I really like how you've been updating us on your improvements and kept making changes till you got something that actually worked the way you wanted to.

Idk if this would be of interest to you but the way you've worked with stuff you can just find lying around to create something that works reminds me of the way one of my favorite physicists: Michael Faraday.
Among a ton of other examples, in the original ring experiment to demonstrate electromagnetic induction (which you're probably learning about in school as you mentioned being 16) was done by insulating the copper wires by rags. Of course this is the principal behind creation of the transformer and so was of MASSIVE importance.

Long story short, you have impressive problem solving skills so thumbs up

Reactions: Josh Mickelson
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Wow! That's some innovative designing there.
While I don't think I'll be trying this (since deals are not my priority right now) I really like how you've been updating us on your improvements and kept making changes till you got something that actually worked the way you wanted to.

Idk if this would be of interest to you but the way you've worked with stuff you can just find lying around to create something that works reminds me of the way one of my favorite physicists: Michael Faraday.
Among a ton of other examples, in the original ring experiment to demonstrate electromagnetic induction (which you're probably learning about in school as you mentioned being 16) was done by insulating the copper wires by rags. Of course this is the principal behind creation of the transformer and so was of MASSIVE importance.

Long story short, you have impressive problem solving skills so thumbs up
Thanks! I love making stuff out of stuff I have lying around! I'll look into the experiment!

Reactions: Theris
Apr 9, 2016
I am in TEARS reading this!! You are one creative guy Maaz, that's for sure! The imagery you created as I read through this was great, I actually LOLd for real when I got to the "WEAR A HANDSOCK!!" post!

I seriously will not be surprised to see your name in the future having created something brilliant for humanity.

Your tenacity and creativity are blessings, nice work, and I hope your work, efforts, and perhaps even the torn thumb hair (LOL!! j/k) help some folks, this was an inspired thread Maaz, thanks!

And don't get the wrong idea here, I'm absolutely not making fun, quite the opposite in fact. You clearly were inspired, helpful, generous, thoughtful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read and all the imagery it created, your enthusiasm was absolutely palpable. You made my day, brother!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I am in TEARS reading this!! You are one creative guy Maaz, that's for sure! The imagery you created as I read through this was great, I actually LOLd for real when I got to the "WEAR A HANDSOCK!!" post!

I seriously will not be surprised to see your name in the future having created something brilliant for humanity.

Your tenacity and creativity are blessings, nice work, and I hope your work, efforts, and perhaps even the torn thumb hair (LOL!! j/k) help some folks, this was an inspired thread Maaz, thanks!

And don't get the wrong idea here, I'm absolutely not making fun, quite the opposite in fact. You clearly were inspired, helpful, generous, thoughtful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read and all the imagery it created, your enthusiasm was absolutely palpable. You made my day, brother!
Ha! Thanks!

Reactions: FunkyBottoms
Jul 25, 2017
It certainly looks a lot better. Are you using mechanic's grip?
I myself swivel while dealing seconds, bottins I can do both ways.

P.S.
I saw you replied to my other thread:)

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It certainly looks a lot better. Are you using mechanic's grip?
I myself swivel while dealing seconds, bottins I can do both ways.

P.S.
I saw you replied to my other thread:)
I think it is very important to keep things consistant. Otherwise, it is very obvious what you are doing. If you are swiveling, you have to swivel on every deal. If you are pushing, you need to push on every deal.

Jul 25, 2017
I think it is very important to keep things consistant. Otherwise, it is very obvious what you are doing. If you are swiveling, you have to swivel on every deal. If you are pushing, you need to push on every deal.

Consistancy is very important indeed. Though most people don't handle a deck consistantly, so a little strays here and there probably won't harm anyone.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Consistancy is very important indeed. Though most people don't handle a deck consistantly, so a little strays here and there probably won't harm anyone.
Switching a grip is ridiculously obvious though. To a regular spectator, it will stand out. To an experienced card player, it will be blatantly obvious.

Jul 25, 2017
Switching a grip is ridiculously obvious though. To a regular spectator, it will stand out. To an experienced card player, it will be blatantly obvious.

I don't know actually.
I've heard stories from "the cafe", of people seeing someone switching grips, and nobody seemed to care.
Truth is, most card players just want to play cards, and do not memorize how you last held them when you dealt.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I don't know actually.
I've heard stories from "the cafe", of people seeing someone switching grips, and nobody seemed to care.
Truth is, most card players just want to play cards, and do not memorize how you last held them when you dealt.
That's not what this is though. Go record yourself doing a swivel deal, than jumping into a push off bottom deal. It will look extremely awkward, and even worse in a magic trick. And if you get caught in a card game, your toast.

Jul 25, 2017
That's not what this is though. Go record yourself doing a swivel deal, than jumping into a push off bottom deal. It will look extremely awkward, and even worse in a magic trick. And if you get caught in a card game, your toast.

Push off bottom deal as in top card push off?
If you mean a standard push off type bottom deal, one can still swivel the top card and push out the bottom.
But that's besides the point:

In a magic trick, you don't do two rounds of false deals right after eachother do you? Nor do you do it in cardgames.

I fully agree that if you take your tops from swivel, you shouldn't push the cover cards when dealing a bottom. But I don't see a problem in switching grips etc. between dealing rounds.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Push off bottom deal as in top card push off?
If you mean a standard push off type bottom deal, one can still swivel the top card and push out the bottom.
But that's besides the point:

In a magic trick, you don't do two rounds of false deals right after eachother do you? Nor do you do it in cardgames.

I fully agree that if you take your tops from swivel, you shouldn't push the cover cards when dealing a bottom. But I don't see a problem in switching grips etc. between dealing rounds.
Fair enough, but all I'm saying is if you are doing a top card push off for all your deals, but are swiveling for a second, it might cause a problem.

Reactions: mrt818
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results