Playing card games as a cardist/card magician

Apr 9, 2017
I know this is an unusual question, but I'd just like to ask a question: Do you cardists/card magicians know how to play card games? Me, I'm a cardist and I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to play the simplest card games. My friends saw me doing flourishes and they usually ask me if I wanted to play games, I usually said "no, I don't know how to play", and then they would stare at me for a few seconds. But they asked me to shuffle the cards when each round is done, which I'm really happy to (coz everyone loses their mind when they saw me doing a riffle shuffle and bridge lol). So I'd really like to know if I'm like the "misfit" in card games even though I spend hours and hours each day with a deck of playing cards. What do you guys think about it?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know some basics but I've never been that into card games. I'm decent at Blackjack. Every other game I have to remind myself of the rules every time I play.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I know this is an unusual question, but I'd just like to ask a question: Do you cardists/card magicians know how to play card games? Me, I'm a cardist and I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to play the simplest card games. My friends saw me doing flourishes and they usually ask me if I wanted to play games, I usually said "no, I don't know how to play", and then they would stare at me for a few seconds. But they asked me to shuffle the cards when each round is done, which I'm really happy to (coz everyone loses their mind when they saw me doing a riffle shuffle and bridge lol). So I'd really like to know if I'm like the "misfit" in card games even though I spend hours and hours each day with a deck of playing cards. What do you guys think about it?
I love to play card games for fun. I normally end up doing the shuffling and everything, and a lot of times I don't know how to play, but I try to pick it up quickly.

Further more, a ton of kids in school and even my friends love to cheat at games. Its amazing actually. As long as the game is fun for everyone, we normally form a little group and cheat in large games, but not too much or too heavy on the cheating. Also, sometimes I cheat just for fun, as long as it doesn't ruin the game. Sometimes I do it to see if I can get away with it.

But overall, yes, I love to play card games.

Reactions: Theris
Jun 21, 2017

I love playing card games. In fact that's what got me into magic. My sister knew some false shuffles which she used to good effect and although she refused to ever teach me, it led to my fascination with card manipulation. That's what got me started...

Jun 21, 2017
I love to play card games for fun. I normally end up doing the shuffling and everything, and a lot of times I don't know how to play, but I try to pick it up quickly.

Further more, a ton of kids in school and even my friends love to cheat at games. Its amazing actually. As long as the game is fun for everyone, we normally form a little group and cheat in large games, but not too much or too heavy on the cheating. Also, sometimes I cheat just for fun, as long as it doesn't ruin the game. Sometimes I do it to see if I can get away with it.

But overall, yes, I love to play card games.

I can relate with this to a large degree. My friends and I also find cheating to a small degree (tbh not that small sometimes) to add to the enjoyability factor and I'm surprised at what I can get away with now as compared to last year. However I don't cheat too much as to ruin the game but just for amusement

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I can relate with this to a large degree. My friends and I also find cheating to a small degree (tbh not that small sometimes) to add to the enjoyability factor and I'm surprised at what I can get away with now as compared to last year. However I don't cheat too much as to ruin the game but just for amusement
Exactly. The moment it ruins the game is when it stops being fun. There are some games which I wont cheat at because its not fun - like spades.

By the way, I was able to work on perfecting cops, palms, and tabled switches a ton more without realizing it, so there is actually a practice factor involved.

Reactions: Theris
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I generally carry an extra deck of cards for the spontaneous card game. Nothing ruins a deck faster than an impromptu game of Go Fish in a bar.

I grew up in a family that hosted poker nights nearly every weekend so playing Texas Hold 'Em is like riding a bike and I used to play Gin Rummy with my Grandpa all the time. It's funny because, as magicians we always hear the "I'd NEVER play cards with you" remark but I've got to be 100% honest - I'm the guy you WANT to play poker against; I'm terrible at it and I've got too guilty of a conscience to use my powers for evil lol.

Edit: totally just remembered I used to deal blackjack too. That's a fun game.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I generally carry an extra deck of cards for the spontaneous card game.

Seriously though. I legitimately got fed up with running out of decks to hand to people to play with, so I got a ton of the cheap dollar store decks. They actually handle pretty well... for a plastic coated deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results