1 Card Switch

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I have an idea for a routine where I essentially switch out one card for another as I speak. The card I am switching in cannot be in the deck, and the card I am switching out cannot be left in the deck. What's the best place for me to look? I was thinking of basically doing a 2 handed switch as I put the deck back in my pocket.

I do know that there are Card Switching Sections in Marlo's Reveloutionary Card Tecnique, and also in The Royal Road, but I haven't gotten around to reading either of the sections yet (though I'm about to hit up the Royal Road one soon, and will look into RCT's later).

Jul 8, 2017
im confused on what your trying to do, can you explain it better in a conversation with me ill try to help as best as I can!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'm looking for a way to switch a single card in a stand up/walk around scenario where I don't have a table. I nee to switch it out in between tricks, as I talk, so it can't look to mechanical. I also cannot use the deck for the switch.

Jul 8, 2017
I'm looking for a way to switch a single card in a stand up/walk around scenario where I don't have a table. I nee to switch it out in between tricks, as I talk, so it can't look to mechanical. I also cannot use the deck for the switch.
Do you mean you want to switch a card in between a trick like switching a double backer for a dupe

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This is kind of a confusing way to go about getting advice.

First - chances are, you're overthinking this. Want to know the easiest and most efficient way to do a switch/reset a trick when walking between groups or tables? Just .... switch the cards or reset the trick. Literally, just do it, as you walk over to the table or when you first get there, while casually chatting with the people. If you have a card in your pocket you need to switch for a card in the deck, just do that. Take the card from your pocket, put it where it goes, take the card out of the deck and put it where it needs to be. If you don't make a big deal out of it, no one will ever notice.

Second - If you really want a specific description, then give us a detailed description of what you're trying to do. Where are the cards going to be when you are doing this? Where do they need to be? What are the restrictions?

Quick story: I used to do a version of Chicago opener as the third trick in a set of card tricks while busking. To do this version I literally handed the deck to an audience member, turned my back, and asked them to go through the deck face up and pick one out. When they had picked one, I asked them to put the rest of the deck face down in my hand, which I held out behind me. While they were doing that, with my back to them, I would take the necessary cards to set up the trick out of my shirt pocket, cop them, and wait until they gave me back the deck at which time I'd add the copped cards to the bottom of the deck and do the trick. It's a great way to do that, because by the time this rolled around, everyone had seen every card and handled the deck, so when the odd color was shown it was very surprising. Anyway, one time I'm doing this routine, and I turn around to let them select the card and there's a dude standing not 8 feet from me, staring right at me. I smiled and waved to him, said something like, "Hey, what's up? You get a better view over there (While gesturing over my shoulder to the majority of the crowd)". While I said that, I reached up to my pocket, copped the cards I needed right in front of this guy, and went on with the routine like nothing was out of the ordinary. He came around to the front and was just as amazed as anyone else in the crowd, even though I had literally prepped for it right in front of him.

A casual attitude and confidence go a long way.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
This is kind of a confusing way to go about getting advice.

First - chances are, you're overthinking this. Want to know the easiest and most efficient way to do a switch/reset a trick when walking between groups or tables? Just .... switch the cards or reset the trick. Literally, just do it, as you walk over to the table or when you first get there, while casually chatting with the people. If you have a card in your pocket you need to switch for a card in the deck, just do that. Take the card from your pocket, put it where it goes, take the card out of the deck and put it where it needs to be. If you don't make a big deal out of it, no one will ever notice.

Second - If you really want a specific description, then give us a detailed description of what you're trying to do. Where are the cards going to be when you are doing this? Where do they need to be? What are the restrictions?

First off, I think the best thing to do would really be the casual approach, as you said. Just switch it in front of them.

The specifics for this:
I do an original trick (or the reinvention of one without my knowledge of the first one existing) where a back design of a deck changes color in the spectators hands, except for one card (their selected card), which does not change color. I am left with a full red deck, and 1 blue card (which was there car. I have been experimenting with Angle Z and have thought "this effect would be great if I do it with a selected card that they have already seen/handled". I think it will work really well after the deck color change. So I want to switch out there card for the Angle Z "gaff" in between the tricks as I talk.

The gaff cannot already be in the deck, since the deck color change takes place in the spectator's hands, and they spread through it without me ever touching the cards (not to mention the color difference). Therefore, the switch cannot happen using the deck.

I think I have 2 (and a half) options:
1) Keep the gaff in my pocket, and get it into a cop. As I take the deck back after the effect, I put the gaff on the bottom. I then take the selection from the previous trick, and put it on top of the deck. As I put the deck in my pocket, I simply come out with the gaff.
1.5) The problem comes in the fact that since the color change happens in the tuck case, and in the spectator's hands, it might be weird to put the cards in my pocket without the case. So I could learn and do a bottom change, then put the cards in the box and then put them in my pocket.
2) This is probably what I will do, but need someone's opinion as to how to make it as smooth as possible. I put the red cards in the box, I put the blue selected card on top of the box. I go to put it in my pocket, and as I come back, I pull out the gaff card from the same pocket. I was talking the whole time then say "you know what, here let me show you another trick" (should I put "with that card"?) or something along those lines.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@Maaz Hasan, do you just need to end up with the gaff card in your hands? If so, take card out of you pocket in position to add to the deck on the bottom (reverse of a gambler's cop) but have the card reversed (i.e. back toward your hand). Return their selected card to the top of the deck. Bring hands together and bring deck to a vertical position as you ask them if they want to see something else. When they say yes, return the deck to mechanics grip, but with the gaff on top and say, "I'll need you to pick a card. As you start to spread the deck, just say, "actually, let's use the card you just picked." Take the top card (which is the card added to the deck) off and return the deck to the box or your pocket.

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
I would cop the gimmick to the bottom, and place the full card "on the bottom" after the cop. Avoiding too much exposure, if you do this with some careful thumb placement, you can appear to show the full card. Take it off with a wrist kill and stick the deck in your pocket or something. Sorry for the vagueness :p but I don't like exposure.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would cop the gimmick to the bottom, and place the full card "on the bottom" after the cop. Avoiding too much exposure, if you do this with some careful thumb placement, you can appear to show the full card. Take it off with a wrist kill and stick the deck in your pocket or something. Sorry for the vagueness :p but I don't like exposure.
Yeah, that could work to, but I think I might just do the 2nd one I said up there. It would be kinda weird for the spectators to seeme put a card on the bottom only to take it back off. Not to mention, I probably wont have the deck for too long in between the trick, as the effect happens in their hands.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So you're basically doing color changing deck trick right??
No.
Well, yeah, but not exactly. I'm setting up for the next trick, Angle Z. I already have the color changing deck down. I just need to switch their selected card for another one.

I figured out what I need to do though.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Not sure if you found your method but can the card be folded? if so you open a ton of doors. If not, it may require a gimmick.... There is a gimmick called "Switch-a-roo" by mark mason that allows you to switch 1 card (or small packet of cards) for another. (not my "Switcheroo! Deck Holdout)

Jul 28, 2017
Could do a drop from a double lift in the right hand, drop the double into the left hand onto the top of the deck sort of thing? Maybe?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results