Magic Castle Audition Help (Junior Society)

Jul 11, 2012
Hello everyone im 13 years old and have been doing magic for about two years (since 2 summers ago). I love to do magic and I really would like to audition for the Magic Castle Junior Society. The thing is i dont know how difficult my tricks in my routine should be. I am planning on doing mostly card magic if not all card stuff and i would like to know what tricks you guys have preformed in order to get into the Junior Society So i can get a feeling of how hard the tricks should be. AND I would like to know what kind of questions they ask you about magic... i.e what dvds do you have or whatever. Some help from someone who is in the society and would like to help would be nice. I would just like to get a feel of what its like.Thanks
Harry

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
This is a great forum for this. I know a handful of people here on theory11 are involved with the castle. I'm not affiliated with the castle but I do belong to a couple clubs in my area. I doubt they are looking for a finger flicking super intense magician fooling act. On the contrary when we see someone new we ant to see a well rehearsed very polished routine that shows your passion and commitment to this art.

Jul 11, 2012
And thats the thing. Im not very familiar with puttin together a routine /presentation. If you have any advice or pointers let me know

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Hello everyone im 13 years old and have been doing magic for about two years (since 2 summers ago). I love to do magic and I really would like to audition for the Magic Castle Junior Society. The thing is i dont know how difficult my tricks in my routine should be. I am planning on doing mostly card magic if not all card stuff and i would like to know what tricks you guys have preformed in order to get into the Junior Society So i can get a feeling of how hard the tricks should be. AND I would like to know what kind of questions they ask you about magic... i.e what dvds do you have or whatever. Some help from someone who is in the society and would like to help would be nice. I would just like to get a feel of what its like.Thanks
Harry

Harry, I think it is great that you are going out for the Magic Castle Junior Society and I wish you the best of luck. I can only answer one of your questions: how difficult your tricks need to be. The answer: any difficulty. The key is your ability to personalize it and make it entertaining.

But if you really want to get in, I promise if you do this, you are a shoe in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDy5IxhW7e4

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What kind of card tricks do you know? What do you think you might perform? I'd be more than willing to help you out. Also on Ellusionist they have a forum called the back room where you can work with a working pro and develop an act or routine. I might check that out if I were you.

Jul 11, 2012
well thanks for the help. I can do ARC and Biddle <both very simple, some Paul Harris and Dan and Dave things, I cant name them all. But i just need ideas for nice hard hitting effects that will look killer in an audition. Im not an amazing magician but i consider myself good for how long ive been practicing.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
They usually just want to see commitment and some sort of proficiency HOWEVER if you do not feel you are ready it's better to wait. Go in when you are confident in your act and material and kick em in the teeth.. magically that is.

Reactions: ParkinT

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I agree with Bizzaro. I would actually set a goal and try to get accepted to the backroom at Ellusionist first. Get some feedback and work it out and then try the castle.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
what do you mean back room goatears?

There's a protected forum on Ellusionist that you have to audition for. You then have access to contact a working pro and they can help you work through a routine, effect or sleight. I think Craig Browning, Realityone and Draven are all mentors that you can contact and work with.

Aug 31, 2007
I hope they don't mind me mentioning but I believe Zach Mueller and Ashley Hall are both involved.

HOW DARRRRRREEEE YOU MENTION THAT?!

My only advice is speak clearly, speak well, look up at the audience and be yourself. I've seen plenty of skilled kids not get through solely because they never looked up at the audience, or you just could not hear them. They aren't looking for crazy talent, they just want to know you're capable and comfortable. Be that, and you'll do well :) And try to stay under 4 minutes.

Good luck in September!

~Zach

Reactions: FirstFlourish
May 2, 2017
Is anyone here actually part of the Junior Society?
I had a friend who auditioned for the Junior Program, and I'm auditioning in September. He told me that 5-10 people get accepted, however I've heard from one guy at the castle who said as long as you are confident, perform well, and stay under 5 minutes you'll get in. I met a member who did finger tricks and still go in. I think it might be kind of a way to get money from people, but I think you have to be dedicated in order to get in. Also, did u happen to get in?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results