Ring Magic Suggestions?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Anyone know any good books, dvd, or something with a lot of Ring Magic? Preferably ring magic requiring one ring, or. I purchased Odyssey, and now am super excited about ring magic.

Specifically I'm looking for some EDCs or impromptu stuff I can do already with the Ungimmicked Odyssey Ring. Books and DVDs with a large amount of materials preferred.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Divorce is great. Ring Thing by Garrett Thomas. Reflex by Patrick Kun (I think?). Ringja by .. someone. I didn't actually purchase that one, it just looked good. Ring Master by David Jay. Da'Ring by De'Vo. Origin by Peter McKinnon (For Pantheon).

Jul 28, 2015
Everything already mentioned here in it of itself is great but may I suggest you looking into some ring on string routines which are completely impromptu and can help expand you're ring magic, if your interested check out Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader

My top recommendations for ring magic are Ring Flight Revolution and Divorce by Justin Miller. I have Reflex by Patrick Kun as well but if you have Divorce you can easily reverse engineer the trailer of Reflex so I recommend Divorce more. But Ring Flight Revolution is the best purchase from Ellusionist I have ever made. It's a fantastic opening effect and so customizable. Yes it's expensive but it is well worth the price since the quality is so good. I made a review if you are interested in learning more. Hope it helps!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
You're encouraging people to steal Patrick's work without compensating him.
I'm not encouraging stealing in any way. If people are putting out the same ideas and methods then it's bound to happen. Just like French Kiss, if you know Switchcraft then you automatically know French Kiss. What I was basically saying is if you buy one you will already know the other. It's not my problem people release the same thing in this industry and remarket it as something else.

Reactions: TimW1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Ok guys, so I am currently debating between Divorce & Reflex. They look super similar.

Are there any major differences between the 2? Apart from the ring on shoulder effect from divorce? If not, I'm leaning towards that.

I also looked into "Circuit" by Zach Heath, but thought that I'm gonna do something similar with Odyssey already.

Jul 28, 2015
My top recommendations for ring magic are Ring Flight Revolution and Divorce by Justin Miller. I have Reflex by Patrick Kun as well but if you have Divorce you can easily reverse engineer the trailer of Reflex so I recommend Divorce more. But Ring Flight Revolution is the best purchase from Ellusionist I have ever made. It's a fantastic opening effect and so customizable. Yes it's expensive but it is well worth the price since the quality is so good. I made a review if you are interested in learning more. Hope it helps!
I wouldn't open with a ring flight effect, its to strong an opener IMO, first I would open with a couple of impromptu ring effects then close with ring flight, thats why I suggested to learn some ring on string moves and everything else that's been suggested

Ok guys, so I am currently debating between Divorce & Reflex. They look super similar.

Are there any major differences between the 2? Apart from the ring on shoulder effect from divorce? If not, I'm leaning towards that.

I also looked into "Circuit" by Zach Heath, but thought that I'm gonna do something similar with Odyssey already.
Circuit is also another gimmicked ring to carry around so keep that in mind if you want to do both that and Odyssey.

As far as Divorce and Reflex, I believe Divorce has more diversity of what's taught than Reflex. Reflex is all about popping a ring off a finger where as Divorce teaches that as well as other plots you can perform.

I wouldn't open with a ring flight effect, its to strong an opener IMO, first I would open with a couple of impromptu ring effects then close with ring flight, thats why I suggested to learn some ring on string moves and everything else that's been suggested
I open with Ring Flight Revolution all the time and it has been very successful for me. The reason why I open with it is because it incorporates a borrowed object which is how I always like to start. I definitely get what you are saying though, it is a really strong effect and should be saved for the last part of a ring routine but in a street environment I open with it since I'm not going to spend too much time on ring effects. In a close-up sit down show situation, I would definitely use my own ring and perform On-Off/Reflex/Divorce and then close on Ring Flight Revolution (although I may close on Tarantula II when it releases). But on the streets I try not to look to "magic-y". What I mean by that is I try not to have magic props that look like magic props and thus I always like to start off with borrowed objects. So once I have performed Ring Flight I move on to the next borrowed object that would make sense for my next effect which is Ignition since my car keys have been introduced because of Ring Flight Revolution.

Reactions: HectorE1
Nah. It's $35, and I wouldn't incorporate that into my routine ever. Not to mention, it's another gimmick.
Maaz may I ask what you environment you plan on performing this routine in? Are you doing it just for friends or are you planning on doing it for a show on the streets?

If it's the latter I recommend opening with something bigger using rings such as the classic linking rings effect. That will definitely grab people's attention and then when they come up to you to watch you, you can then break it down and use finger ring magic. Just a thought I had that may help you.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Maaz may I ask what you environment you plan on performing this routine in? Are you doing it just for friends or are you planning on doing it for a show on the streets?

If it's the latter I recommend opening with something bigger using rings such as the classic linking rings effect. That will definitely grab people's attention and then when they come up to you to watch you, you can then break it down and use finger ring magic. Just a thought I had that may help you.
I think I might do this in both locations. I've been performing a bit of ring magic recently for friends and am loving the reactions, and how simple it is to bring out. I am thinking of doing this just for when people ask me to do a tirck and I agree, but also maybe midway through 10 - 20 min performance.

I was thinking of incorporating Japanese Ninja Rings into the mix, but if I do, that'll be a lot further down the line.

Jul 28, 2015
Nah. It's $35, and I wouldn't incorporate that into my routine ever. Not to mention, it's another gimmick.

No trying to sound disrespectful, but why wouldn't you incorporate it into one of your routines ever just because it's a gimmick?? do you have something against gimmicks??

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
No trying to sound disrespectful, but why wouldn't you incorporate it into one of your routines ever just because it's a gimmick?? do you have something against gimmicks??
I would prefer to have something I could just do with an ordinary or even a borrowed ring. Every gimmick is something extra to carry, or something weighted, etc. I personally would prefer not to buy a gimmick and just regret not bringing it. Now some gimmicks are really easy to carry, like Odyssey for example, which easily goes in my pocket, or into a small bag and my wallet. With too many gimmicks you can lose count, and forget where which one is. I prefer it to carry around less things with me. As it stands, I would be carrying my wallet, my phone, a deck of cards, Odyssey, 3 - 5 gaffs, possibly a crushed role of duct tape (you would be surprised how often I actually use it) a lanyard with my key, a flash drive, an electronics screw driver (it's tiny, I needed a place to keep it), and (if its not school) a Swiss Army Knife. Now granted, I would drop a few things, but even then, I only have so many pockets.

Not to mention I don't want to carry around a gimmick for something I don't think I'm going to perform

Jul 28, 2015
I would prefer to have something I could just do with an ordinary or even a borrowed ring. Every gimmick is something extra to carry, or something weighted, etc. I personally would prefer not to buy a gimmick and just regret not bringing it. Now some gimmicks are really easy to carry, like Odyssey for example, which easily goes in my pocket, or into a small bag and my wallet. With too many gimmicks you can lose count, and forget where which one is. I prefer it to carry around less things with me. As it stands, I would be carrying my wallet, my phone, a deck of cards, Odyssey, 3 - 5 gaffs, possibly a crushed role of duct tape (you would be surprised how often I actually use it) a lanyard with my key, a flash drive, an electronics screw driver (it's tiny, I needed a place to keep it), and (if its not school) a Swiss Army Knife. Now granted, I would drop a few things, but even then, I only have so many pockets.

Not to mention I don't want to carry around a gimmick for something I don't think I'm going to perform

Ok, I only suggested it because you were asking about ring magic and imo anybody that performs ring magic should have some type of ring flight, I mean think about it you would have a full presentational arc in a multiple phase routine by cleanly vanishing a borrowed ring, if presented well it's a super strong closer...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results