Street Magic

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
hi everyone hows it going i was going to ask you all about something.
next week with my school we are going up to Hornsby Westfield shopping centre
and all my mates want me to finally do some street magic i want to but i dont no what tricks i should use or anything im really good with card magic and some coin but im not that confident with going up to strangers can anyone give me tips

Sep 2, 2007
Visalia, CA
Release the confidence!!!

I don't mean to sound rude but, why are you lacking confidence to show your magic?

Its the same as a musician playing music in his room but to shy to share the music with the world. Just be free and express your magic through whatever you feel. You are going to perform in front of your friends so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just do whatever feels right.:)

Oct 6, 2007
Sorry if this sounds mean but I don't think you can say you're GOOD at card magic, if you don't even perform. Sure if you're good at sleights, but that doesn't make you a good magician! The sleights you perform are in front of your mirror, or your video camera.

Anyway, you're here to ask for tips, so here goes:

1. 1. Go out of your room, and start performing for your friends and family. They know that you're 'good' at magic, so I'm guessing you've performed for them alot? Go and perform for anyone, go on the street and show some magic.
    Performing alot is the only way to get better. You'll gain confidence from constantly performing.

You are in the stage every performer has has to go through.. if you know any flourishes, that would be good to do as it catches peoples attention. Crowds work like this.. you grab the attention of 1 or 2 people, show them simple tricks.. the other people walking by will be wondering what is up.. so they will see.. and eventually you have like 10 - 20 people crowding you and you just want to levitate out of there :p

Well maybe not the last part.. but yeah.. thats one way to go about it. But remember you have to be able to judge your audience.. as in what kind of audiences they are. Try not to perform for a*h*le'd looking ones as they usually end up being hecklers. Cheerful grand-pa
s and ma's are always fun to perform to. The Golden people always give you warmth when you make them happy :) But remember to do your effects according to demographics.

Examples: Do not do saw for a kindly old lady
Do not do pickpocket magic for a musclebound guy who has to much testosterone
Do not perform d**k trick for little girls (bunnyboy :p )

and etc.... remember to have a routine that flows, and to be yourself (unless you have a character), and also...most importantly.. have fun.

If you are not having fun, the audience can pick those vibes and they wont have as much fun either...

Just my 2cents :)

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
if you are 100% certain you can pull off some tricks smoothly there is no reason to be afraid.(not like half of the people on youtube who are really bad at squaring the cards and whatnot)

just walk up like you would ask someone for directions or something. ask if they want to see some card magic. they will probably doubt you at first since you are a little young. boom do a really quick trick like having their selection the opposite way in the deck or something easy to do.

i was nervous to do a trick for my family at first but i did the easiest trick i could and they were like WTF??? and it boosted my confidence by 100000%

oh yeah its really important to talk talk talk. if you look at some live performances done by some youtubers they are really dull because they are really monotone.

Oct 17, 2007
From Chile

Dood, first of all you have to know three basic things that I've learned doin' street magic

Where
When
Who

Sounds simple but it isn't. =S

Where: almost everywhere
When: try to find people doing nothing that IS the perfect time, take a good look around a analyse the situation. Be careful not to interrup some serious conversation taking place. Try to be spontaneous natural try bein' yourself. Another important tip is that you have 10-15 seconds(not kidin') to show this people that you can do something extraordinary (101 of magic) try this simple trick...

DL show a card, aparently put in the middle of the deck do another DL showin' the 3rd card turn it over and take it away from the deck do som magic move and reveal that the card that you "puted" in the middle of the deck has appear on your hand........other thing you can do, try sponge balls

Who: a group of people, preferly more women than men, women don't try to figer out your tricks they just enjoy them(almost all women). Other thing is the group not bigger than 5-6 persons between 2-5 is fine.

hope this help you out

Whatch mi PROFILE TO SEE SOME OF IT (is in spanish but the things are the same)

ROUTINS THAT A PERFORM

2 card monte
Ambicious card
Best Card Trick in the world
sponge balls
sometimes one coin routine

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
not being rude or anything but i perform for my family, friends, friends friends and teachers everyday except teacher i ask first lol so im confident but like not with someone i dont no i reckon a group of girls would be a good start. thanks for the advice so far

Oct 6, 2007
If you perform to all those people, you should have no problem performing for strangers. Maybe you cant approach people?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
hes probably shy like me. man i can be a ****ing maniac in front of friends and family. but if its complete strangers i become quiet :p

Dec 7, 2007
I read everyones postings and they were all very good.

In my opinion though I think that you need to find whats more comfortable for you first. You say you are good at card trix, thats fine but even if your flawless in front of your friends and family, its not going to matter if you cant consentrate in front of other people. Try taking a theater class or public speaking class to get used to performing and speaking in front of strangers. If your not willing to do it for strangers maybe street magic isnt the avenue you want to persue. I have a lot of magician friends and each of them are great at different types of magic. Just because you cant perform street magic doesnt make you any less of a magician.

Now with that being said, Is it that your unconfortable in front of people or are you unconfortable performing your magic in front of people. I only ask because maybe the problem is that you just need to practice more before you show your stuff.

Anyway, I hope I didnt come across rude or like an a**. This is just my opinion. I just feel that you need to find whats best for you. And try not to limt yourself, I perform everything from rubberbands to cards to paper clips in my street performance. I hope I helped. PM me back if you want to talk more.

Good Luck Man:)

Here's my advice.

Don't walk up to strangers. Here's my reasoning. You're 13. I know you probably think you're old enough to talk to strangers, but there are some creepy people out there. I'm not saying you're a little kid. But don't approach people at first. Later on yes, now no.
My advice would be to first start performing for your friends out on the streets. People will gradually stop by and watch. With your friends there, you'll have a lot more confidence and protection. Make the people come to you.
Just not when you're alone.
Also don't make the most common mistake. Many people think there is a certain type of trick you have to perform on the street. Of course some things just aren't good for the street, but you get what I'm saying. Don't feel that you have to purchase a certain type of trick and go out and perform it. Do what is comfortable for you. Once you get out of your comfort zone, it can get scary at times.

Hope it helps! If you have any questions, let me know!

Nate

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
thanks for the advice i reackon its probably more appraoching people than doin magic for them ive have crouds of people at school around that i dont know
but u guys are giving me good advice one of my m8s does magic but as soon as he learns a trick he goes out and does i think i got him to slow down a bit but we will c maybe him and i can do some magic for our m8s and get a croud lol ty

C

clarrus

I concur. Make sure you have a chaperone with you. Also, whatever you do, if a dude is wearing a wet trench coat and has a rusty bloody hook protruding out from one of his sleeves, where his hand should be, DO NOT ENGAGE HIM IN A CONVERSATION.

Here's my advice.

Don't walk up to strangers. Here's my reasoning. You're 13. I know you probably think you're old enough to talk to strangers, but there are some creepy people out there. I'm not saying you're a little kid. But don't approach people at first. Later on yes, now no.
My advice would be to first start performing for your friends out on the streets. People will gradually stop by and watch. With your friends there, you'll have a lot more confidence and protection. Make the people come to you.
Just not when you're alone.
Also don't make the most common mistake. Many people think there is a certain type of trick you have to perform on the street. Of course some things just aren't good for the street, but you get what I'm saying. Don't feel that you have to purchase a certain type of trick and go out and perform it. Do what is comfortable for you. Once you get out of your comfort zone, it can get scary at times.

Hope it helps! If you have any questions, let me know!

Nate

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results