Close-up magician...what to perform on stage?

Oct 19, 2015
Is this a different suggestion than the earlier one that you made in this thread stating:

@Timewise64 : "Cut and restored rope trick and/or Professors Nightmare rope trick. Both easy to perform, very visual and good magic! If not that any routine you have learned on Sponge Balls..."

I was responding to the fact that I saw no response on my original post....seems like a young guy looking for ideas for a stage show would consider rope tricks and/or sponge balls...he made a brief comment on sponge balls ....but nothing I saw on rope tricks....

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If he's not familiar with rope tricks already it's not the best idea to try to introduce completely new material this late in the game.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Jul 26, 2016
@LordMagic: "Thank you everyone!
Also, I was wondering about the fact how the reveal of a card may lose its lustre because the volunteer would have to confirm it..."

Yes, it is a reasonable concern, LM, however, that is one of the reasons I suggested the Magician's Insurance Policy Routine and particularly, how the reveal would be done. There is no confirming that needs to be done. Even though the audience may not know what card was selected (f _r_e_) until near the end, after you go through all the comedy ways of failing, you admit failure and have the spectator loudly name the card for all to hear (even in a microphone if one is being used). Then, at the time you reveal the big color picture of the "selected" card, people all know what the card is and is supposed to be. So, there is no need for the spectator to confirm anything like they would with most selected card tricks. Does this make sense? I am certainly not trying to sell anything here, but just recommending something that is easy to do, provides a lot of entertainment, with a great climax, and which I have had awesome success with for many years. But in the final analysis, it is important that it is something you feel will suit you...

Reactions: Lord Magic
Okay...so there is a small programme on teacher's day in school and I am asked to perform some tricks. It shouldn't be too long, kinda like 2 tricks?...around 15 minutes (at the most 20). Am 13 and have been doing magic since 5 years and I am actually a close-up magician. I have a fine arensal of card tricks, but they don't grant visibility and won't be seen. I was thinking of a simple "Is this your card?" for opener (without the key card ;-) ) and then a book test using the cards as well. Any suggestions please?

PS:-New user...srry if I ranted...help appreciated O:)

A news paper tear would be good. Maybe a Professors Nightmare, Fiber Optics rope routine, and maybe close with Invisible Deck or a Chair Prediction?

Aug 15, 2017
@LordMagic: "Thank you everyone!
Also, I was wondering about the fact how the reveal of a card may lose its lustre because the volunteer would have to confirm it..."

Yes, it is a reasonable concern, LM, however, that is one of the reasons I suggested the Magician's Insurance Policy Routine and particularly, how the reveal would be done. There is no confirming that needs to be done. Even though the audience may not know what card was selected (f _r_e_) until near the end, after you go through all the comedy ways of failing, you admit failure and have the spectator loudly name the card for all to hear (even in a microphone if one is being used). Then, at the time you reveal the big color picture of the "selected" card, people all know what the card is and is supposed to be. So, there is no need for the spectator to confirm anything like they would with most selected card tricks. Does this make sense? I am certainly not trying to sell anything here, but just recommending something that is easy to do, provides a lot of entertainment, with a great climax, and which I have had awesome success with for many years. But in the final analysis, it is important that it is something you feel will suit you...
Btw, what if I just have a card selected ( may the force be with you Luke) and have a simple 'reading your mind slowly' as the opener?

Jul 26, 2016
@Lord Magic: "Btw, what if I just have a card selected ( may the force be with you Luke) and have a simple 'reading your mind slowly' as the opener?"

Well, it is a good idea. But with that, wouldn't you have the issue that you were concerned about - that the volunteer would have to confirm the card after your reveal ?

Jul 28, 2015
For that type of opener to be strong and get good reactions the force would have to be extremely fair and clean also I think this type of opener would set the tone for more mental type magic... Do you plan on doing anything else besides cards??

Aug 15, 2017
@Lord Magic: "Btw, what if I just have a card selected ( may the force be with you Luke) and have a simple 'reading your mind slowly' as the opener?"

Well, it is a good idea. But with that, wouldn't you have the issue that you were concerned about - that the volunteer would have to confirm the card after your reveal ?
That is what the problem is...a gr8 idea, but dunno abt the impact if the confirming part's after the reveal and only the volunteer can see it, no one else actually SEES it.
:'(

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
That is what the problem is...a gr8 idea, but dunno abt the impact if the confirming part's after the reveal and only the volunteer can see it, no one else actually SEES it.
:'(
Try doing something without cards for an opener. Your mind reading routine could work if it is big enough (if you play it right, you could get the whole audience involved). You would probably need to use an easy to see card with a larger deck (think Penn & Teller). Do you have the Royal Road? In the "Backslip" section, there is a great trick you can do by getting 5 volunteers. It is the one with the envelope.

Reactions: ParkinT
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results